John Lydon blasts Coldplay

The Seeker of Good Songs

John Lydon has blasted Coldplay and Radiohead for being 'soulless' and not caring about their fans.

The former Sex Pistols frontman – also known as Johnny Rotten – thinks the two hugely successful bands are 'pointless' and lack 'heart and soul'.

He fumed to BBC radio station 6 Music: 'Coldplay and Radiohead bug the hell out of me because it’s so soulless. It just seems pointless. It’s nice but it’s tosh. They don’t care about you. They care about lining their coffers.

'There’s nothing about heart and soul, they don’t know about heart and soul, they don’t know about people dying, living and aspiring.'

The punk singer’s offhand opinion may not be entirely founded, as Radiohead famously released their last album, 'In Rainbows’, to fans on a pay-what-you –like basis – with many choosing to pay nothing.

Coldplay are currently holed up in a London church writing a 'low-key' new album, as frontman Chris Martin is worried about alienating his fans with the band’s the epic sound of their last record 'Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends’.

A source said: 'Chris is determined not to be seen as a huge commercial rock juggernaut, filling stadiums and cashing in.

"The plan is to keep them as close to their fans as possible. The band is keen to make hay while the sun shines.

"They have hit a rich vein with their songwriting and feel more creative than ever."

http://www.music-news.com/ShowNews.asp?H=John-Lydon-blasts-Coldplay&nItemID=31308

(sounds similar to something Morrissey said some time back)

The band is keen to make hay while the sun shines.

"They have hit a rich vein with their songwriting and feel more creative than ever."

Haha, he's out to make the point that the band isn't in it for the money, and he does that by using one metaphor that signifies "cashing in", and another deriving from gold mining. Great stuff.

cheers

I thought you meant he cranks up the volume. :guitar:
I do that with A Rush of Blood to the Head.

god bless you sir Lydon

"Seeing in your eyes
Words can never say the way
Told me in your eyes
Final in a fade
Never no more hope away
Final in a fade
Seeing in your eyes
Seeing in your eyes
Never really know
Never realize
Silence in your eyes
Silence in your eyes
Never really know
Til its gone away
Never realize
The silence in your eyes
Seen it in your eyes
Seen it in your eyes
Never no more hope away
Final in a fade
Watch her slowly die
Saw it in her eyes
Choking on a bed
Flowers rotting dead
seen it in her eyes
Ending in a day
Silence was a way
Seeing in yoru eyes
Seeing in your eyes
Seeing in your eyes
I'm seeing through my eyes
Words cannot express
Words cannot express
Words cannot exp......"

Death Disco a song thom yorke has been trying to write for years

Coldplay is about as white as you can get. Radiohead aren't as lame as CP and have an edge I guess but I don't own any of their music. RH gets points for that great you tube cover of the Smiths "Nowhere Fast".

Back
Top Bottom