John Hughes 1950-2009 RIP

He made some great films.

:tears:

He created so many classic films, what a loss

jakeryan-208x300.jpg

I love She's Having A Baby, too.

Last edited:
The Breakfast Club and Pretty In Pink are major classics of his. I'm gonna watch them tonight in his honor. RIP.:tears::tears:

So sad. :(

No more yanky round drinky.

The burnt out car scene from Planes is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

RIP

Planes, Trains & Automobiles was one of my favourites.. My kid's loved Uncle Buck.

He made some great films.

Let's not forget how beautifully he used Smiths songs in his films:

^Plus he (briefly) used the original version in "Pretty in Pink"

Kirsty MacColl's version of "You Just Haven't Earned it Yet, Baby" in "She's Having a Baby"

I'm sure there's more...

Last edited by a moderator:
John Hughes was one of the great screenwriters of all time and a more than competent director. Very sad to hear of his passing. I think the best part of John Hughes' personal story is that he told Hollywood to f*** off and retired to his farm in Northern Illinois, like a Roman general.

I hate to say this but if it hadn't been for "Pretty In Pink" I might never have discovered The Smiths. Or it would have been some years later, and by then my heart would have been petrified.

RIP John :(

I hope he's in heaven now with John Candy enjoying some Uncle Buck size pancakes...

feature_00860_best_pancake_movie_moments_11.jpg

Chicago is in mourning. He made Chicago the coolest city in the world for a while there. I always wanted to come live here. He really made me appreciate the city, he seemed to delight in the eccentricities and huge beauty of what's really a 20th century American utopia.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off expresses the American dream. You have to connive and trick a few authority figures, but even a lowly high school kid, if he's clever, can enjoy everything the city has to offer. From high-- the then-tallest building in the world, to low-- a common baseball game played by the team that never wins. You can subvert class (sneaking into a high-end French restaurant) and gender (the lookalike in the pizza parlor.) And the finest things the city has to offer are free: the Seurats and Monets at the Art Institute, for instance. In fact, the parade scene in which the workers are dancing down the outdoor steps was filmed in a plaza containing an amazing mosaic by Chagall which is free to anyone to see at any time (Chagall also created the blue window in front of which Ferris and Sloane kiss in the museum scene.) And lastly, the parade. Everyone participates, everyone is momentarily equal-- and having a great time.

Let's not forget how beautifully he used Smiths songs in his films:

^Plus he (briefly) used the original version in "Pretty in Pink"

Kirsty MacColl's version of "You Just Haven't Earned it Yet, Baby" in "She's Having a Baby"

I'm sure there's more...

I wish they'd put the blue Chagall window back on display, it's been in storage for about ten years now, I think. I always take out of town friends to see that Seurat.

John Hughes was one of the great screenwriters of all time and a more than competent director. Very sad to hear of his passing. I think the best part of John Hughes' personal story is that he told Hollywood to f*** off and retired to his farm in Northern Illinois, like a Roman general.

I hate to say this but if it hadn't been for "Pretty In Pink" I might never have discovered The Smiths. Or it would have been some years later, and by then my heart would have been petrified.

Pretty in Pink? That's what did it? Well, thanks to Hughes for that, too. We'd be lost without you. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom