Johhny Marr interview in March 2013 Q magazine; US tour dates and other media

Re: Johhny Marr Interview in March 2013 Q magazine - Preview

Preview from http://www.qthemusic.com/

Johnny Marr: 'Will The Smiths reform? I've answered that nearly 900 different ways'

Johnny Marr believes he's come up with nearly 900 different answers to his most asked question: "Are The Smiths going to reform?"

Speaking in our brand new issue, Q320 out now, the guitarist who is just about to release his first solo album, The Messenger, says he is nearly always asked about his former band by interviewers.

"I think the total number of different answers I've given is 896. It's going to be a university module in its own right one day," Marr jokes in his Cash For Questions interview.

"I'm nearly always asked that [reunion] question in the same way, which is: Sorry I have to ask you this questions, I really have to, my editor will kill me if I don't, I'm sure you must be asked..."

Grab the new issue Q for the full interview with Marr to see if any of you dared ask him the same question, plus find out what Morrissey's teenage bedroom smelt like, whether Electronic will reunite, if he'd give up his music success to play for his beloved Manchester City and more. Q320: on sale now

634949723183157483.Jpeg

Also from http://entertainment.stv.tv/showbiz/319867-johnny-marr-in-pursuit-of-morrissey/

Johnny Marr lives ''in pursuit'' of a songwriting relationship like the one he had with Morrissey.

The guitarist was a key member of 80s indie band The Smiths with Morrissey, and although they parted ways in 1987, he would still like to find another person who can write songs like him.

Talking about Morrissey he said: ''It was pretty apparent that he wasn't a blank canvas in terms of his ideas about being a singer. He was good to go and knew what he was about and where he wanted to go. It definitely felt like two equals. [In The Smiths] we were falling over ourselves with ideas that we were constantly amassing, and that's the greatest thing in the world. It's still what I'm trying to live my life in pursuit of, really.

''To find your opposite number who is up to speed was pretty remarkable.''

Johnny also hopes The Smiths' lost demos for their first album, known as the Troy Tate Sessions, are eventually released.

He added to Q magazine: ''I really hope they do because they are a true representation of what the band really were for the first year or more of our career.

''I heard the Try Tate album in somebody's car a few years ago and I just thought 'What a peculiar group'. Strange things to be singing about and in a strange way. And I was in it!''

Nice.

P.

Johnny Marr lives ''in pursuit'' of a songwriting relationship like the one he had with Morrissey.
'

Hey Morrissey......pick up the phone and get back together. I mean, its obvious that Johnny is offering an olive branch there.

Just got it - all good stuff, AND a two page article on The Smiths' gig at Salford University 20th July 1986 (including hand-written memoir from Johnny). Right - off to work...

P.

[scans removed at the request of the copyright holder]

Last edited by a moderator:

[scans removed at the request of the copyright holder]

Re: Johhny Marr Interview in March 2013 Q magazine

He spelled "ceiling" wrong.......thanks for posting US!

UPDATE Feb. 12:
Full issue available now on the Q Magazine iPad app.

Johnny Marr: 'Will The Smiths reform? I've answered that nearly 900 different ways'

Johnny Marr believes he's come up with nearly 900 different answers to his most asked question: "Are The Smiths going to reform?"

Speaking in our brand new issue, Q320 out now, the guitarist who is just about to release his first solo album, The Messenger, says he is nearly always asked about his former band by interviewers.

"I think the total number of different answers I've given is 896. It's going to be a university module in its own right one day," Marr jokes in his Cash For Questions interview.

"I'm nearly always asked that [reunion] question in the same way, which is: Sorry I have to ask you this questions, I really have to, my editor will kill me if I don't, I'm sure you must be asked..."

Grab the new issue Q for the full interview with Marr to see if any of you dared ask him the same question, plus find out what Morrissey's teenage bedroom smelt like, whether Electronic will reunite, if he'd give up his music success to play for his beloved Manchester City and more. Q320: on sale now

q201303.jpg

Also from http://entertainment.stv.tv/showbiz/319867-johnny-marr-in-pursuit-of-morrissey/

The guitarist was a key member of 80s indie band The Smiths with Morrissey, and although they parted ways in 1987, he would still like to find another person who can write songs like him.

Talking about Morrissey he said: ''It was pretty apparent that he wasn't a blank canvas in terms of his ideas about being a singer. He was good to go and knew what he was about and where he wanted to go. It definitely felt like two equals. [In The Smiths] we were falling over ourselves with ideas that we were constantly amassing, and that's the greatest thing in the world. It's still what I'm trying to live my life in pursuit of, really.

''To find your opposite number who is up to speed was pretty remarkable.''

Johnny also hopes The Smiths' lost demos for their first album, known as the Troy Tate Sessions, are eventually released.

He added to Q magazine: ''I really hope they do because they are a true representation of what the band really were for the first year or more of our career.

''I heard the Try Tate album in somebody's car a few years ago and I just thought 'What a peculiar group'. Strange things to be singing about and in a strange way. And I was in it!''

Also posted by MORRIZSEY:

Johnny Marr U.S. Tour Dates announced - Twitter

2013_marr_us_tour.jpg

Kewpie writes:

Johnny Marr on BBC 6 Music Mary Anne Hobbs show 16 & 17 Feb 2013

This morning Mary Anne Hobbs said that Johnny Marr would be on 3 minutes epiphany slot on 16 and 17 February.

Hey Morrissey......pick up the phone and get back together. I mean, its obvious that Johnny is offering an olive branch there.

I don't think Johnny is desperate for a reunion, he's obviously busy getting on with his own life - BUT I also definately think that for the first time since leaving the Smiths he is open-minded to the possibility of getting back together with Moz. All the signs and interview comments show it. Since working on the remasters he has finally accepted his Smiths past, is comfortable with it and embraces it.

The tragedy is that whilst Morrissey from around 88-91 was definately up for a reunion, at the present he shows no interest whatsoever.

Thanks for posting Uncleskinny!!!!! It all works - questions asked, pictures captions - what a wonderful spread ! Never heard the story of The Smiths Vs The Housemartins ..... nice how Marr answers it .
WHAT A CONCERT Salford must have been , must find it on youtube.

Good luck ....

Johnny Marr is an all-round top cool-cat geezer and I wish him nothing other than fantastic vibes.
Fame never went to his head not long ago he was involved in a campain to get a railway station for Wythenshaw

Not long ago he was involved in a campain to get a railway station for Wythenshaw

In some countries people have been made saints for less than this.

100% agree with him that Marion's The Programme is massively under rated and that Jamie Harding's life has been a massive waste of a talent.

Dave

100% agree with him that Marion's The Programme is massively under rated and that Jamie Harding's life has been a massive waste of a talent.

Dave

Eighteen years ago, this very week, I saw Marion support Morrissey in the Usher Hall, Edinburgh. I loved their song, 'Sleep'.

I'm intrigued by the comments about Jaime Harding. What happened to him? I had a look on Wikipedia and it just sounds as though their record company dropped them and the members all pretty much sank without trace.

The curse of Morrissey! Support act, I think they were also managed by Joe Moss and first album was produced by Stephen Street then Johnny produced their second album.

I saw them support Morrissey on the same tour (1995?) in Blackpool - great gig. Also saw them in their own right several times, including a few warm up gigs prior to the launch of The Programme.

Jamie has had long running problems with drug habits and health problems - heroin, blood disease, open heart surgery... Really a sad waste of a massive talent. There was a gig and live recording in 2011 / 2012 (Alive in Manchester) but not much news since...

Dave

Don't forget to tune in BBC 6 Music tomorrow and Sunday morning.

Johnny's interview will be on around 8:30 - 9:00 GMT.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom