"Joe Chiccarelli - The Architect" - Gear Club interview / podcast (Morrissey mention)

An interesting interview with Joe about his time in the studio and various recording aspects of his work.
Morrissey mentioned re: building a song around his vocal (aprox 14:25 in to the podcast). Not finished listening to it fully to comment if there's more.

Full hour and a half podcast here:
https://www.gear-club.net/episodes/2019/2/1/49-joe-chiccarelli-the-architect

(Which is available as a download there too).

46074_46045_JoeChiccarelliSOS.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a fan of JC. No dynamics in his mixing. No depth. Everything is up front and brick walled to death so there's no power in the mix either.

SS still did Morrissey's best solo work. Playboys is a world class mix where Morrisseys voice has its own space but isn't smacking you between the ears. The drums have heft and power, the bass is at the correct level and dynamics abound.
As someone 'lurking' around The Wool Hall often at that time: It was probably me that 'dunnit' :) (especially when Moz went shopping in Bath).
I hear what you are saying.
I loved SS's strings and later tracks could well use 'real' ones as opposed to synth ones (and just use more strings in general).
The subjectivity of can the man mix or not isn't something that interests me, but I will say there are a few gems/interesting songs that JC has been at the forefront of.
Regards,
FWD.

Not a fan of JC. No dynamics in his mixing. No depth. Everything is up front and brick walled to death so there's no power in the mix either.

SS still did Morrissey's best solo work. Playboys is a world class mix where Morrisseys voice has its own space but isn't smacking you between the ears. The drums have heft and power, the bass is at the correct level and dynamics abound.
Party on!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom