"Joe Chiccarelli - The Architect" - Gear Club interview / podcast (Morrissey mention)

An interesting interview with Joe about his time in the studio and various recording aspects of his work.
Morrissey mentioned re: building a song around his vocal (aprox 14:25 in to the podcast). Not finished listening to it fully to comment if there's more.

Full hour and a half podcast here:
https://www.gear-club.net/episodes/2019/2/1/49-joe-chiccarelli-the-architect

(Which is available as a download there too).

46074_46045_JoeChiccarelliSOS.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe Chiccarelli is so passionate every time I've heard him speak about working with Morrissey. I hope there are many Morrissey/Joe Chiccarelli albums to come. Thanks for the post.

Caught a bit more of it today.
He certainly has a wide and varied set of recording studio experiences with numerous bands.
His YouTube talks/seminars are always good too. He's someone I'd like to read an autobiography by - it seems like it would be very interesting.
He's another very discreet person at times, but if he ever did write one I'd buy it.
Regards,
FWD.

Halfway of it. You are right FWD, very interesting stories and very pleasant voice too. I would go for the audiobook. Love that he doesn't want to be musically labeled. He enjoys working with Morrissey. What a privilege, both of them. The next album will be very special. (PS: Why do they pronounce it "shicarelli"? It's pronounced "kickarelli" but he doesn't care).

Last edited:
Joe took all the warmth out of Morrissey’s recordings. There is no love, no joy, no fun. He made Morrissey into the killjoy he is today.

Joe C. really is like an architect. He designs the houses which are cool to look at, but impossible to live in.

Yes, it sounds crisp & clear. But at what cost?

Joe took all the warmth out of Morrissey’s recordings. There is no love, no joy, no fun. He made Morrissey into the killjoy he is today.

Joe C. really is like an architect. He designs the houses which are cool to look at, but impossible to live in.

Joe C. is Morrissey's new Steven Street, think it's not a producers problem, but Morrissey's bandmembers Boz and Jesse should step down, and maybe make an album with another musician.

He is not the architect of Moz’s career but the undertaker of it.The tomb is LIHS.

some producers lose the voice in the mix,joe does a great job of bringing the voice clear and upfront and they are obviously comfortable with each other.

Joe C. is Morrissey's new Steven Street, think it's not a producers problem, but Morrissey's bandmembers Boz and Jesse should step down, and maybe make an album with another musician.

Strange comparison. Not unless Joe is writing songs with Morrissey too ?

Yes, but what can we do? could be worse (like Jerry Finn,IMHO).

Amusing to read some of the comments here.

He has done a fine job as producer so far and long may it continue.

Joe is largely responsible for two of the worst albums of Morrissey's career, World Peace and LIHS are unlistenable.
I would tend to agree. Although, to be fair, you can only work with what you've got. I think the Blessed St Mick of Ronson would have struggled to make something stellar out of those songs.

I would tend to agree. Although, to be fair, you can only work with what you've got. I think the Blessed St Mick of Ronson would have struggled to make something stellar out of those songs.

I've said it so much i'm bored with repeating myself but mozzas band is awful, a convoluted, clumsy, noisy mess, adding Joe's over elaborate production style to the mix, is like putting out fire with gasoline, it just makes a shit job 100x worse. Sometimes things just need to be kept simple!
I don't think i can bare another album like the last two. Surely morrissey knows they sound awful, i often wonder if he has that little internal voice saying ''this is shit'', either that or he's in denial.

Very sad news today about Albert Finney. As a teenager - a teenage Moz fan trying to absorb absolutely EVERYTHING the man ever cited as an influence - Saturday Night and Sunday Morning became staple viewing alongside the likes of other 'kitchen sink' dramas like Poor Cow, a Taste of Honey, the L Shaped Room. But Finney's portrayal of Notts working class anti-hero Arthur Seaton was always my favourite of the bunch, and has become one of those movies I continue to go back to time and time again.

The movie taught be a couple of important points relevant to its context, and in finding my own context in life: to respect and be proud of my working class heritage, and that that the whole scene was as punk as as f***. The 'angry young man' at the heart of such cinematic endeavours spoke to something deep within me, and said more about me than punk, goth, or any counter culture that I could get my mitts on and try to take as mine, only mine.

Prior to my exposure to that movie I always eschewed anything prior to the era in which I was placed as being fusty, boring and irrelevant. Finney's portrayal of Seaton, the character's nihilism, the almost-existential nature of the situations he somehow found himself in... they could have been a product of any age, any generation. Tough as nails and so very acutely aware of the futility of life - even where other British movies portrayed a marketable-abroad stiff upper lip attitude that wasn't really what it was all about. Seaton was a British James Dean, with a million times more cool and rebellious.

It was Saturday Night and Sunday Morning along with Salinger's Catcher in the Rye that grabbed me by the lapels, shook me and told me a little about what life can sometimes really be like.

I've said it so much i'm bored with repeating myself but mozzas band is awful, a convoluted, clumsy, noisy mess, adding Joe's over elaborate production style to the mix, is like putting out fire with gasoline, it just makes a shit job 100x worse. Sometimes things just need to be kept simple!
I don't think i can bare another album like the last two. Surely morrissey knows they sound awful, i often wonder if he has that little internal voice saying ''this is shit'', either that or he's in denial.
I think he and reality parted company some time back. I'm going with denial.

Back
Top Bottom