Joe Chiccarelli Mixing Morrissey "Istanbul" coming soon on pureMix - pureMix / YouTube

Unfortunately, the full 1hr+ show is behind a pay wall and not on YT where it was advertised.

Little consolation, but it would have featured:

Joe Chiccarelli is a first call producer, engineer, and mixer for some of the world's finest artists, such as Elton John, The Killers, Jack White, Frank Zappa, Alanis Morissette, The Strokes, and so many more.

In this puremix.net exclusive, Joe opens up the multitrack from "Istanbul" and breaks down the mix while explaining the tracking of the song, the thought process behind his mic placement, and every mix decision. Including a multitude of parallel processing and how he finds the sweet spot on a console for the right amount of saturation and glue.

Watch as Joe:
Explains the origins of the song and their intention as they crafted it from the ground up during tracking
Breaks down his parallel processing on drums, including distressors, a Chandler TG1 limiter, and a UA 176, while explaining which tracks are sent to the parallels
Busses the vocal through two parallels, including a vocal stressor, and an 1176
Explains each piece of outboard gear in the stereo mix bus chain
Explains how he and drummer Matt crafted the drum sounds to fit the intention of the song
Breaks down his thought process behind every microphone used on the drums during tracking
Shows his electric guitar parallel compressor and explains how he uses it to add sustain and weight to the guitars
Adds in two parallel vocal compression chains that serve separate roles in highlighting Morrissey's powerful performance
Unpacks his tips for EQing the parallel return of a vocal
Solos each of the many time-based effects running on the lead vocal
Explains the history of the custom console in Sunset Sound Studio A, and discusses the custom API 550 EQs on each channel
Demonstrates how he finds the sweet spot of the console by driving it for the right amount of glue and character
This is your chance to sit next to Joe Chiccarelli and learn his approach from tracking to mixing on the hit song "Istanbul" by Morrisey.

It may surface on YT eventually - it looked very interesting.
Regards,
FWD.

Joe C has provided some of the best insight into how
Moz gets his recordin' done.
Joe is always excited about workin' with someone like
Moz's vocal abilities.

great song with great production,you can almost feel the heat of istanbul when listening.

As soon as this goes up on youtube I'm ripping it cause Moz will have this taken down as soon as word hits the street like he did last time.

Subbed and notified!

Last edited:
What was on YouTube before?
There was a really interesting video of Joe C. at an engineering desk talking about the WPINOYB sessions. I think it was like 30 minutes long. I watched it and the next day it was gone because apparently Morrissey was not keen on it being broadcast. Now that may have been BS but either way it was taken down quick smart.

It looks just like a Telefunken U-47
You'll love it...

~ Frank Zappa - Crew Slut

There was a really interesting video of Joe C. at an engineering desk talking about the WPINOYB sessions. I think it was like 30 minutes long. I watched it and the next day it was gone because apparently Morrissey was not keen on it being broadcast. Now that may have been BS but either way it was taken down quick smart.
There is always this:

very average producer who mourdered at least 3 albums with poor prodution

poor production’ ? please. Not my favorite producer, but I think it would be more accurate to say it isn’t to your taste.

Do you prefer Finn’s work with M?

Is this full thing released yet

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom