Joan Rivers statement on TTY

"Lately, death is insatiable. Thank God black goes with everything..."

Leave it to Moz to use Joan Rivers' death to evaluate his own wardrobe. Joan would have liked that. Probably the least sentimental of tributes, but a tribute nevertheless.

6 September 2014

Lately, death is insatiable. Thank God black goes with everything. When Steven Tosserrey dies ... Let's all have a laugh when the yes men that surround him start spilling the beans on silly Steven.
Tosserrey your not a pop star anymore, there's no need to be kind to you do us all a favour and sing yourself to sleep and then leave us alone you lazy arrogant waste of spunk.
When will you die ?

Benny
6 September 2014
Robin Hoods Bay Nr Whitby

My god, Benny. Give your liver a freaking break, man.

Anti-Semetic? Are you retarded?

Was Joan noisy? Yes.
Was Joan mouthy? Yes.
Was Joan a Jew? Yes.
Are ANY of these characteristics even remotely antisemitic? No. :squiffy:

Whilst, technically speaking, it is not anti-semitic to state that someone is Jewish as a simple fact, there is a position from which it could be argued that the unnecessary inclusion of the word 'Jew' in an otherwise derogatory post about her suggests that the poster thinks of being Jewish as a bad thing.

Robin Williams was Jewish. Some of the greatest comedians are/were Jewish: Billy Crystal, Roseanne Barr, Ellen DeGeneres, Lenny Bruce, Jon Stewart, Adam Sandler, Al Franken, Ben Stiller, Albert Brooks, Andy Samberg, Bette Midler, Gilda Radner, Goldie Hawn, Jack Benny, Jack Black, Jerry Seinfeld, Joan Rivers, Jerry Lewis, Johna Hill, Larry, Curly, Moe, Rita Rudner, Richard Lewis, Seth Rogen, Rodney Dangerfield, Sarah Silverman, and last but not least, Woody Allen.

Read it and weep you anti-Semitic ignoramus.

That's a very good list, and most of those people are really quite funny, indeed. However, Robin Williams was not Jewish. Many fans thought that he was Jewish because of the characters he portrayed. He found being thought of as Jewish a beautiful thing and adopted the title of Honorary Jew. So, unless you mean he converted to Judaism, he was actually a mixed bag of English, Welsh, Irish (obvious), and German - like most of us.

Robin Williams was Jewish. Some of the greatest comedians are/were Jewish: Billy Crystal, Roseanne Barr, Ellen DeGeneres, Lenny Bruce, Jon Stewart, Adam Sandler, Al Franken, Ben Stiller, Albert Brooks, Andy Samberg, Bette Midler, Gilda Radner, Goldie Hawn, Jack Benny, Jack Black, Jerry Seinfeld, Joan Rivers, Jerry Lewis, Johna Hill, Larry, Curly, Moe, Rita Rudner, Richard Lewis, Seth Rogen, Rodney Dangerfield, Sarah Silverman, and last but not least, Woody Allen.

Read it and weep you anti-Semitic ignoramus.

Well, nowadays it’s incredibly easy to be called anti-Semitic, while it’s absolutely impossible to be called, for example, Germano-phobic or anti-Polish.

And no, apart from Albert Brooks and Woody Allen (but just in very small doses, I like only “What’s Up, Tiger Lily?”, “Annie Hall” and “Broadway Danny Rose”) I find all those people very unfunny and uninteresting. And who has ever said that they are or were the greatest comedians? You?

Anti-Semetic? Are you retarded?

Was Joan noisy? Yes.
Was Joan mouthy? Yes.
Was Joan a Jew? Yes.
Are ANY of these characteristics even remotely antisemitic? No. :squiffy:

Thank you, CrystalGeezer, for your rational and logical response. It’s really uncommon in those politically correct times.
As a rigorous reader of Morrissey-solo, I've always thought that realitybites is much more intelligent.

I was in Lublin 2 weeks ago, it's a pleasant but very small town. The only real notable 'attraction' is the Majdanek concentration camp so unless Moz is there i guess that he's scouting the place and visiting the theatre in the centre as a possible venue for the Thursday in between the Warsaw and Krakow shows..i certainly hope so. I'd love a 3rd show

I was in Lublin 2 weeks ago, it's a pleasant but very small town. The only real notable 'attraction' is the Majdanek concentration camp so unless Moz is there i guess that he's scouting the place and visiting the theatre in the centre as a possible venue for the Thursday in between the Warsaw and Krakow shows..i certainly hope so. I'd love a 3rd show

Very good point, he could be scouting venues. But wouldn't he have someone do that for him?

Whilst, technically speaking, it is not anti-semitic to state that someone is Jewish as a simple fact, there is a position from which it could be argued that the unnecessary inclusion of the word 'Jew' in an otherwise derogatory post about her suggests that the poster thinks of being Jewish as a bad thing.

I took it as the poster was saying he didn't expect Morrissey to like someone who kvetches for a living, that his other tastes in comedians aren't typically Jewey Americans. It's not an insult in the entertainment industry.

That's a very good list, and most of those people are really quite funny, indeed. However, Robin Williams was not Jewish. Many fans thought that he was Jewish because of the characters he portrayed. He found being thought of as Jewish a beautiful thing and adopted the title of Honorary Jew. So, unless you mean he converted to Judaism, he was actually a mixed bag of English, Welsh, Irish (obvious), and German - like most of us.

Well Judaism is a religion unlike the countries you listed which are nationalities. You can be an American, English, Welsh, Irish, and Japanese Jew. An Israeli Jew is a nationality combined with a religion. Anyone can become a reform or conservative Jew through conversion. Apparently Robin never officially joined the tribe.

I took it as the poster was saying he didn't expect Morrissey to like someone who kvetches for a living, that his other tastes in comedians aren't typically Jewey Americans. It's not an insult in the entertainment industry.

Maybe - it's hard to tell . . . so many nuances are lost in writing.

Well Judaism is a religion unlike the countries you listed which are nationalities. You can be an American, English, Welsh, Irish, and Japanese Jew. An Israeli Jew is a nationality combined with a religion. Anyone can become a reform or conservative Jew through conversion. Apparently Robin never officially joined the tribe.

Yes. I know the difference. I was trying to connect him to the Jewish Community through religion...as it wasn't by birth.

Disagree. The 'schtick' was what she chose to do, and that entailed criticising female celebrities for their appearances, which, in my opinion, is a contributory factor in how messed up so many women are about how they look. Eating disorders, mental problems and numerous other miseries are caused by the scrutiny under which women's faces and bodies are placed . . . and she contributed to that. Making a living by being a mean-spirited body-shamer is not what a good person does. She was a bully. Oh, and what she said about Gaza was desperately narrow-minded and ugly.

Body shaming doesn't cause eating disorders or exercise obsessives. If it did, the majority of Americans (and Westerners) would be thin and fit. Too bad it doesn't work. It would be a cheap and easy policy to implement.

I think this is as funny now as I did when I was 8. :lbf:

Last edited by a moderator:
Like most of who?

Thanks for pointing out that Robin Williams wasn't Jewish. He's up there with Jason Biggs in terms of misidentification! A handy guide for when you need to check:
http://www.jewornotjew.com/

Well, to speak for myself, I have English, Dutch, and American Indian (Catawba) blood running through my veins.

To be quite honest, however, a person can be from anywhere in the world, and it wouldn't matter. People are people. I just think it's interesting Robin Williams was thought to be Jewish when he looked very Irish to me.

Yes. I know the difference. I was trying to connect him to the Jewish Community through religion...as it wasn't by birth.

People are not born Jewish. They may be born to Jewish parents, however. Just as one is not born Catholic. One is born to parents who practice/subscribe to Catholicism. Is that still unclear?

In which country, era, demographic? That is like asking what causes war.

Yeah...people throw that word around....a lot. Like Nazi, that word is thrown around when trying to make a point.

I always get the feeling that there's something else going on...

Maybe it is the same thing that causes war.....stupidity and fear on at least one side.....anyway I don't think Morrissey cares about whether a person is a Jew or Gentile.

Well, to speak for myself, I have English, Dutch, and American Indian (Catawba) blood running through my veins.

To be quite honest, however, a person can be from anywhere in the world, and it wouldn't matter. People are people. I just think it's interesting Robin Williams was thought to be Jewish when he looked very Irish to me.

Your ignorance knows no bounds. And is borderline offensive--to the educated at least. You can be an Irish (nationality) Jew (religion) because you were born to Jewish parents who are Irish citizens. Looks Irish instead of Jewish? Is that analogous to looking Catholic as opposed to looking Russian?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom