Joan Rivers statement on TTY

Disagree. The 'schtick' was what she chose to do, and that entailed criticising female celebrities for their appearances, which, in my opinion, is a contributory factor in how messed up so many women are about how they look. Eating disorders, mental problems and numerous other miseries are caused by the scrutiny under which women's faces and bodies are placed . . . and she contributed to that. Making a living by being a mean-spirited body-shamer is not what a good person does. She was a bully. Oh, and what she said about Gaza was desperately narrow-minded and ugly.

giphy.gif

Grew up watching her on TV. Tuned out some time in the 80s but admired her outspoken and offensive humor for the most part.
Except her recent statement on Gaza. Like Morrissey's Norway massacre missive, it was the one time for each of them I thought STFU.

Grew up watching her on TV. Tuned out some time in the 80s but admired her outspoken and offensive humor for the most part.
Except her recent statement on Gaza. Like Morrissey's Norway massacre missive, it was the one time for each of them I thought STFU.

I agree with her sentiments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disagree. The 'schtick' was what she chose to do, and that entailed criticising female celebrities for their appearances, which, in my opinion, is a contributory factor in how messed up so many women are about how they look. Eating disorders, mental problems and numerous other miseries are caused by the scrutiny under which women's faces and bodies are placed . . . and she contributed to that. Making a living by being a mean-spirited body-shamer is not what a good person does. She was a bully. Oh, and what she said about Gaza was desperately narrow-minded and ugly.

I agree. Joan Rivers projected a lot of her own insecurities and body issues onto other women. Every time I'd see the Kabuki mask face she created for herself I found it difficult to watch.

I've never considered her particularly funny, either. There are so many comics I adore who adored her, but Joan was always just kind of 'meh' IMO.

Poppycocteau, as a feminist who hates everything about my appearance and who has adored Joan Rivers' brand of comedy going back at least 3 decades of my life, I have to ask how much you actually know about her career and what (as Geezer said) she's been doing for the past 50 years. I recall you also saying that Elaine Stritch was "annoying" despite your admission to not knowing who she was, and I really am wondering whether the same isn't true for Rivers. These were two strong, powerful, brave women from a very different era who came up during a time when female comics just did not do what they did. I truly believe that comedy comes with a different set of social "rules," too. The power to make people laugh and, consequently, to think about why they find certain things so incredibly funny while simultaneously feeling uncomfortable is really, really important and very hard to do.

I don't know how you feel about Camille Paglia, but you might get something out of what she's written about Joan Rivers being both a feminist and (I think just as importantly) a populist—particularly in answer to the question "What would you say about the claim that Joan reserved her meanest comments for other women?"
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/camille-paglia-pays-tribute-joan-730529

Well, as I said, I had never heard of Elaine Stritch before Morrissey mentioned her, and so I went away and watched several videos of her doing her thing, and I didn't laugh once. She shouted a lot and her voice was very grating. I did the same thing with Joan Rivers, with much the same result. She doesn't make me laugh, and much of her comedy, as I've said, seems to revolve around being nasty, which I maintain is disappointing to me. I've also never heard of Camille Paglia, but a considerable portion of her admiration seems to stem from Rivers' very affected appearance, on which she sadly seemed to spend a lot of time and energy. And it's all very well being nice to the QVC viewers, but I still feel that publicly criticising others for their appearances is cheap and perhaps symptomatic of her own (clearly very weathered and damaged) relationship with her own looks. The combination of studied nastiness to others and her rather distressing appearance and the mental turmoil that it speaks of conspire to make me recoil. I feel sorry for her, for what were her obvious mental problems, but based on what I've seen of her comedy, I can't feel any affection for her at all. She doesn't make me laugh, she makes me feel sad. And it's not as if she'd have cared what I thought, anyway.

Comedians I do like . . . I really like Bill Bailey - he doesn't put other people down, and genuinely makes me laugh.

As for the Gif, well, that's me told and duly chastened.

Well, as I said, I had never heard of Elaine Stritch before Morrissey mentioned her, and so I went away and watched several videos of her doing her thing, and I didn't laugh once. She shouted a lot and her voice was very grating. I did the same thing with Joan Rivers, with much the same result. She doesn't make me laugh, and much of her comedy, as I've said, seems to revolve around being nasty, which I maintain is disappointing to me. I've also never heard of Camille Paglia, but a considerable portion of her admiration seems to stem from Rivers' very affected appearance, on which she sadly seemed to spend a lot of time and energy. And it's all very well being nice to the QVC viewers, but I still feel that publicly criticising others for their appearances is cheap and perhaps symptomatic of her own (clearly very weathered and damaged) relationship with her own looks. The combination of studied nastiness to others and her rather distressing appearance and the mental turmoil that it speaks of conspire to make me recoil. I feel sorry for her, for what were her obvious mental problems, but based on what I've seen of her comedy, I can't feel any affection for her at all. She doesn't make me laugh, she makes me feel sad. And it's not as if she'd have cared what I thought, anyway.

Comedians I do like . . . I really like Bill Bailey - he doesn't put other people down, and genuinely makes me laugh.

As for the Gif, well, that's me told and duly chastened.

If you like Bill Bailey I suggest you check out his Black Books costar Dylan Moran. He's genius.

I would never ever think that Morrissey liked Joan Rivers. She was such a typical American product — a noisy and mouthy Jew, a walking plastic surgery. Not witty and not funny at all, only glitz and kitsch.
Why, Morrissey, why?

I would never ever think that Morrissey liked Joan Rivers. She was such a typical American product — a noisy and mouthy Jew, a walking plastic surgery. Not witty and not funny at all, only glitz and kitsch.
Why, Morrissey, why?

Right, because what do Jews know about comedy? :rolleyes:

I've always thought Joan and Moz were cut from a very similar cloth, personally.

6 September 2014

Lately, death is insatiable. Thank God black goes with everything. When Steven Tosserrey dies ... Let's all have a laugh when the yes men that surround him start spilling the beans on silly Steven.
Tosserrey your not a pop star anymore, there's no need to be kind to you do us all a favour and sing yourself to sleep and then leave us alone you lazy arrogant waste of spunk.
When will you die ?

Benny
6 September 2014
Robin Hoods Bay Nr Whitby

Why, Morrissey, why?

Robin Williams was Jewish. Some of the greatest comedians are/were Jewish: Billy Crystal, Roseanne Barr, Ellen DeGeneres, Lenny Bruce, Jon Stewart, Adam Sandler, Al Franken, Ben Stiller, Albert Brooks, Andy Samberg, Bette Midler, Gilda Radner, Goldie Hawn, Jack Benny, Jack Black, Jerry Seinfeld, Joan Rivers, Jerry Lewis, Johna Hill, Larry, Curly, Moe, Rita Rudner, Richard Lewis, Seth Rogen, Rodney Dangerfield, Sarah Silverman, and last but not least, Woody Allen.

Read it and weep you anti-Semitic ignoramus.

Robin Williams was Jewish. Some of the greatest comedians are/were Jewish: Billy Crystal, Roseanne Barr, Ellen DeGeneres, Lenny Bruce, Jon Stewart, Adam Sandler, Al Franken, Ben Stiller, Albert Brooks, Andy Samberg, Bette Midler, Gilda Radner, Goldie Hawn, Jack Benny, Jack Black, Jerry Seinfeld, Joan Rivers, Jerry Lewis, Johna Hill, Larry, Curly, Moe, Rita Rudner, Richard Lewis, Seth Rogen, Rodney Dangerfield, Sarah Silverman, and last but not least, Woody Allen.

Read it and weep you anti-Semitic ignoramus.

Anti-Semetic? Are you retarded?

Was Joan noisy? Yes.
Was Joan mouthy? Yes.
Was Joan a Jew? Yes.
Are ANY of these characteristics even remotely antisemitic? No. :squiffy:

Back
Top Bottom