Joan Rivers statement on TTY

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2014 (read-only)' started by Chickpea, Sep 6, 2014.

By Chickpea on Sep 6, 2014 at 4:05 PM
  1. Chickpea

Chickpea pithy yet degenerate

Joan Rivers dies - true-to-you.net
    6 September 2014

Lately, death is insatiable. Thank God black goes with everything. When Kirk Douglas dies ... somebody, somewhere ... switch out the lights.

Morrissey
    6 September 2014
    Lublin, Poland.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2014 (read-only)' started by Chickpea, Sep 6, 2014.

1. mozmic_dancer
      mozmic_dancer
      "Lately, death is insatiable. Thank God black goes with everything..."

Leave it to Moz to use Joan Rivers' death to evaluate his own wardrobe. Joan would have liked that. Probably the least sentimental of tributes, but a tribute nevertheless.
    2. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      My god, Benny. Give your liver a freaking break, man.
    3. keene
      keene
      What causes antisemitism?
    4. Poppycocteau.
      Poppycocteau.
      Whilst, technically speaking, it is not anti-semitic to state that someone is Jewish as a simple fact, there is a position from which it could be argued that the unnecessary inclusion of the word 'Jew' in an otherwise derogatory post about her suggests that the poster thinks of being Jewish as a bad thing.
    5. hand in glove
      hand in glove
      That's a very good list, and most of those people are really quite funny, indeed. However, Robin Williams was not Jewish. Many fans thought that he was Jewish because of the characters he portrayed. He found being thought of as Jewish a beautiful thing and adopted the title of Honorary Jew. So, unless you mean he converted to Judaism, he was actually a mixed bag of English, Welsh, Irish (obvious), and German - like most of us.
    6. Hadrian
      Hadrian
      Well, nowadays it’s incredibly easy to be called anti-Semitic, while it’s absolutely impossible to be called, for example, Germano-phobic or anti-Polish.

And no, apart from Albert Brooks and Woody Allen (but just in very small doses, I like only “What’s Up, Tiger Lily?”, “Annie Hall” and “Broadway Danny Rose”) I find all those people very unfunny and uninteresting. And who has ever said that they are or were the greatest comedians? You?

Thank you, CrystalGeezer, for your rational and logical response. It’s really uncommon in those politically correct times.
      As a rigorous reader of Morrissey-solo, I've always thought that realitybites is much more intelligent.
    7. brucegrove
      brucegrove
      I was in Lublin 2 weeks ago, it's a pleasant but very small town. The only real notable 'attraction' is the Majdanek concentration camp so unless Moz is there i guess that he's scouting the place and visiting the theatre in the centre as a possible venue for the Thursday in between the Warsaw and Krakow shows..i certainly hope so. I'd love a 3rd show
    8. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Very good point, he could be scouting venues. But wouldn't he have someone do that for him?
    9. CrystalGeezer
      CrystalGeezer
      I took it as the poster was saying he didn't expect Morrissey to like someone who kvetches for a living, that his other tastes in comedians aren't typically Jewey Americans. It's not an insult in the entertainment industry.
    10. realitybites
      realitybites
      Well Judaism is a religion unlike the countries you listed which are nationalities. You can be an American, English, Welsh, Irish, and Japanese Jew. An Israeli Jew is a nationality combined with a religion. Anyone can become a reform or conservative Jew through conversion. Apparently Robin never officially joined the tribe.
    11. Poppycocteau.
      Poppycocteau.
      Maybe - it's hard to tell . . . so many nuances are lost in writing.
    12. hand in glove
      hand in glove
      Yes. I know the difference. I was trying to connect him to the Jewish Community through religion...as it wasn't by birth.
    13. realitybites
      realitybites
      Body shaming doesn't cause eating disorders or exercise obsessives. If it did, the majority of Americans (and Westerners) would be thin and fit. Too bad it doesn't work. It would be a cheap and easy policy to implement.
    14. Chickpea
      Chickpea
      Like most of who?

Thanks for pointing out that Robin Williams wasn't Jewish. He's up there with Jason Biggs in terms of misidentification! A handy guide for when you need to check:
      http://www.jewornotjew.com/
    15. realitybites
      realitybites
      In which country, era, demographic? That is like asking what causes war.
    16. Chickpea
      Chickpea
      I think this is as funny now as I did when I was 8. :lbf:

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
    17. hand in glove
      hand in glove
      Well, to speak for myself, I have English, Dutch, and American Indian (Catawba) blood running through my veins.

To be quite honest, however, a person can be from anywhere in the world, and it wouldn't matter. People are people. I just think it's interesting Robin Williams was thought to be Jewish when he looked very Irish to me.
    18. realitybites
      realitybites
      People are not born Jewish. They may be born to Jewish parents, however. Just as one is not born Catholic. One is born to parents who practice/subscribe to Catholicism. Is that still unclear?
    19. keene
      keene
      Yeah...people throw that word around....a lot. Like Nazi, that word is thrown around when trying to make a point.

I always get the feeling that there's something else going on...

Maybe it is the same thing that causes war.....stupidity and fear on at least one side.....anyway I don't think Morrissey cares about whether a person is a Jew or Gentile.
    20. realitybites
      realitybites
      Your ignorance knows no bounds. And is borderline offensive--to the educated at least. You can be an Irish (nationality) Jew (religion) because you were born to Jewish parents who are Irish citizens. Looks Irish instead of Jewish? Is that analogous to looking Catholic as opposed to looking Russian?