Jimmy Kimmel extends olive branch to Morrissey

Jimmy Kimmel Extends Olive Branch to Morrissey - Billboard

Excerpt:

"On Wednesday's show, he again addressed the tiff in his opening monologue.

"This has nothing to do with people who eat meat versus people who don't," he said. "I’m completely respectful of people who do not eat meat, but the statement he made is ridiculous. I'd like to invite him to join the show to discuss. I'm an open, even-handed person, and I consider all points of view."

Kimmel repeated that last line several times, then quipped: "If I keep saying it, maybe it will be true. I've invited him to talk this out, and perhaps we will both be better men for it, but probably not."

An anonymous person also writes:

Russell Brand trying to get Morrissey as a guest on his TV show

Tweet by @rustyrockets at 11:40 AM - Feb 27, 2013

“@mozazteca25: @rustyrockets Should have tried getting him on your show since he cancelled on Kimmel.” We are trying to get Moz. It's hard!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. Moz going back on Jimmy could only end badly! I doubt he'd take Crystal Geezer's advice and there would be more people laughing:(

Well I wouldn't expect him to take it this time, but this is how it's done. He's caught in a cycle. He can jump in and play or take a pass and use my technique later.

How do you know it's insincere? Kimmel has been supporting Morrissey in the States since the Greatest Hits tour. It's Morrissey who started the drama, not Kimmel. Just because Kimmel hosts a talk show and is a comedian does not mean everything he does is a ploy for laughs.

In 2004 Jonathan Ross did a long interview with Morrissey on his talk show, and this subject dominated a decent portion of it. There were giggles and jokes, but it was a legitimate discussion and both sides voiced their contrasting views. Why could that not be done in America?

The bottom line is that a talk show host who caters to a young, hip audience and who has invited Morrissey to his show several times was blown off because he had other guests on that Morrissey didn't like. Naturally he gave Morrissey a light ribbing for acting like an oversensitive little girl, but he was nowhere near as caustic as he could have been. Then, when the dust settled, he said he respects Morrissey's view but disagrees, and gave Morrissey an opportunity to come on the show and have a legitimate discussion about a subject he clearly feels strongly about.

Seems on the level to me. I think what's unfair is saying that somehow in all of this, Morrissey is the victim. Morrissey started the drama. Now he has an opportunity to take his reasoning for doing so beyond a level of headline-making shenanigans and actually talk it out.

Morrissey says "not all males are men." OK. Let's see him put his money where his mouth is and talk this out like a man, instead of throwing tantrums and burying his head in the sand and storming away like a woman.

I can't believe nobody has called you out on your blatant sexist here. I somewhat agree with your point, but I am absolutely repulsed by your sexist framing of the issue. Given that Marr and Morrissey have always made it clear where their music stands vis a vis sexism and feminism I am disappointed that there are Smiths/Moz fans that harbor such horrible sentiments.

I can't believe nobody has called you out on your blatant sexist here. I somewhat agree with your point, but I am absolutely repulsed by your sexist framing of the issue. Given that Marr and Morrissey have always made it clear where their music stands vis a vis sexism and feminism I am disappointed that there are Smiths/Moz fans that harbor such horrible sentiments.

Mj_Ax_My01_YWNj_ZGEw_Mzhl_MDg3_ZDI2.png

Do you mean sexism against men or sexism against women? You didn't specify

He's clearly referring to what he perceives to be sexism against women.

I'm just waiting for him to specify which part of my accusation isn't true...that Morrissey, when confronted by a man to answer for his nonsense,

a)doesn't throw tantrums,

b)doesn't bury his head in the sand, or

c)doesn't storm away

...like a woman.

I'm just waiting for him to specify which part of my accusation isn't true...that Morrissey, when confronted by a man to answer for his nonsense,

c)doesn't storm away

...like a woman.

Maybe he means it is sexist because gay men behave that way as well?

Get back on Kimmel's show Moz and defend your ideas. Debates have been done on late night shows before. It all depends on the host. I think Kimmel could keep the audience in check for civil talk to happen .
For example when the movie "Life of Brian" came out many people accused it of being blasphemous. Soon after its release a debate was set up on a British talk show called "Friday night / Sat. Morning" . On one side was John Cleese / Michael Palin on the other side was The Bishop of Southwark - Mervyn Stockwood and Malcolm Muggeridge . This all took place live on television with a live audience . Just google "life of brian debate 1979" and watch it unfold . Enjoy the spirited talk between all . Cleese/Palin hold their own and never mug to the audience for laughs . I wished it could have kept going on but the host had to stop the talking to let the next segment on ........ A music group !

c)doesn't storm away

...like a woman.

I think Chip objected to Skylarker's last three words of the sentence, without quantifying or reasoning

I must admit Morrissey's casual comments were below-par and a bit catty for a man of his intellecual calibre, but If I was Morrissey I wouldn't even bother responding to any of this bilge.

You just found Morrissey's comments "below par"? I thought he sounded both humorless and airheaded, which is how he has sounded for years now. I realized Morrissey became this way back when he posted support for animal rights terrorist violence on True To You some years ago.

But have a look at his statement:

"I was disappointed with last night's Jimmy Kimmel Show wherein our smiling host managed to ridicule depression (70% of Americans have experienced depression according to the National Institute of Mental Health). He then found time to ridicule healthy eating (the obesity epidemic in the U.S. costs $147 billion per year in medical expenditure), and he also ridiculed the notion that animals should be entitled to the possession of their own lives. Furthermore, he found time to jokingly promote gun-ownership - hugely amusing for the parents at Sandy Hook, no doubt. He also promoted his special guests Duck Dynasty - who kill beings for fun.
None of the above issues are, of course, as important as Jimmy Kimmel himself, who has finally revealed his show to have an overwhelming loss of meaning. Tune in and relive the intellectual fog of the 1950s."

Are you f***ing kidding me? Morrissey replies to this: "While I respect his stance on this, I really do, there's a very good reason why I didn't dump the Duck Dynasty guys for Morrissey. And that's because they have guns."

With this: "Furthermore, he found time to jokingly promote gun-ownership - hugely amusing for the parents at Sandy Hook, no doubt." ????????????? What an idiot! Morrissey's a bigger douchebag than Piers Morgan! LOL!

And he replies to this: "He keeps finding new ways to depress us."

With this: "[O]ur smiling host managed to ridicule depression (70% of Americans have experienced depression according to the National Institute of Mental Health)."

Dear Lord.

Jimmy Kimmel ‏@jimmykimmel
note to Morrissey - if you have more dumb statements to make, I invite you to make them where I do, on my show
220px-You_Are_The_Quarry.jpg

BTW, in case anyone doesn't know, PETA kills perfectly healthy cats and dogs by the thousands. They have even been busted killing cats and dogs they picked up in their vans on false pretenses (promising they'd try and find homes for them but immediately killing them and chucking their corpses into dumpsters behind a Piggly Wiggly).

BTW, in case anyone doesn't know, PETA kills perfectly healthy cats and dogs by the thousands. They have even been busted killing cats and dogs they picked up in their vans on false pretenses (promising they'd try and find homes for them but immediately killing them and chucking their corpses into dumpsters behind a Piggly Wiggly).

Absolutely true. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inFtOMx8nDU

c)doesn't storm away

...like a woman.

Yeah, that part WAS sexist. Why is it the "manly" thing to do to speak up and face your problems? Women aren't children, you know. That was completely insulting.

You just found Morrissey's comments "below par"? I thought he sounded both humorless and airheaded, which is how he has sounded for years now. I realized Morrissey became this way back when he posted support for animal rights terrorist violence on True To You some years ago.

But have a look at his statement:

Are you f***ing kidding me? Morrissey replies to this: "While I respect his stance on this, I really do, there's a very good reason why I didn't dump the Duck Dynasty guys for Morrissey. And that's because they have guns."

With this: "Furthermore, he found time to jokingly promote gun-ownership - hugely amusing for the parents at Sandy Hook, no doubt." ????????????? What an idiot! Morrissey's a bigger douchebag than Piers Morgan! LOL!

And he replies to this: "He keeps finding new ways to depress us."

With this: "[O]ur smiling host managed to ridicule depression (70% of Americans have experienced depression according to the National Institute of Mental Health)."

Dear Lord.

View attachment 14983

Well I'm not fussed about what he really said to be honest, I won't lose sleep over it, I just know Moz is miles more capable of delivering witty, relevant verbal attacks than this. He's been an obtuse bugger for 30 odd years though and you have to take the rough with the smooth when it comes to Morrissey, I just let his comments wash over me now, it's like watching a friend make an arse out of himself in public, when you just want to quietly take him aside and tell him to get a grip.

You really must be joking. Someone stated that Morrissesy is not acting like "a man" by confronting his problems and instead acting like a woman by "throwing a tantrum and hiding from them" and you don't see where the sexism is in that statement? Or are you just being obtuse because you think it makes you look clever?

I think Chip objected to Skylarker's last three words of the sentence, without quantifying or reasoning

Without quantifying or reasoning? Somebody made a list of negative traits and said that they were all the traits of "acting like a woman." How is it hard to understand how this is sexist? Not only is a list of essentialist gendered traits (woman do this, men do this), but in this context being a woman is clearly pejorative. You don't need a PhD in feminist theory or to be overly sensitive to see the problem here, you just need to not have you head buried completely up your ass.

Yeah, that part WAS sexist. Why is it the "manly" thing to do to speak up and face your problems? Women aren't children, you know. That was completely insulting.

Why is it manly? It isn't, inherently. Just like there's nothing inherently manly about changing a tire or installing a hot water heater. But men do it, and women don't. By and large.

At any rate, let's see Morrissey speak up and face his problems. He's thrown his little bitch fit and made his headlines; now let's see if the old priss can get his hands dirty in an actual debate. After all he's no much smarter than dumb old pedestrian American Kimmel, right? So it should be no problem.

And no, women aren't children. Children have an excuse for being timid and living in fantasy worlds in their heads.

Wow, how clever and mature of you! You must be a lovely person.

Oh I am, ask anyone.

Without quantifying or reasoning? Somebody made a list of negative traits and said that they were all the traits of "acting like a woman." How is it hard to understand how this is sexist? Not only is a list of essentialist gendered traits (woman do this, men do this), but in this context being a woman is clearly pejorative. You don't need a PhD in feminist theory or to be overly sensitive to see the problem here, you just need to not have you head buried completely up your ass.

You seem inordinately offended for someone named Chip. Are you a woman, or just a huge
164431_245062215630557_1895693300_n.jpg
?

Wow, homophobic in addition to sexist? You are truly are a charmer. :rolleyes:

Well, now see, a phobia is a fear. I'm not afraid of them, I just find them obnoxious, on the whole. Get it...hole?

Anyway, sorry to burst your bubble, but not everyone with a dislike for gays is secretly afraid of them, or wishes them ill. I just don't like men that act like women. It's gross and fake.

Back
Top Bottom