Jesse Tobias has been with the band for SEVEN years...

Wel... I don't know why so many members are obsessed in offending Tobias but... I'l gonna list some songs (of him) I like:
All You Need is Me
You Have Killed
I jusr want to see the boy happy
In the future when all's well
I'm ok by myself
I knew I was next

The ringleader of the tormentors was a masterpiece for me, something that wouldn't have happened without Jesse Tobias and Tony Visconti. I also find the first a decent guitarist, no matter what many many people in this forum might say. My favourite songs of his are :
I just want to see the boy happy ( the trombone solo is wicked )
The youngest was the most loved (the vocals and the guitar match perfectly well)
You have killed me (great riff)
In the future when all's well (a nice mixture of electric and acoustic guitars)
Sorry doesn't help (maybe the best keyboard track in a Morrissey song)
On the streets I ran (very intense)
Children in pieces (great guitar solo at the end)
I knew I was next (beautiful harmony)

I'd agree that these two are probably the most fully-formed of Jesse's contributions - up there with decent (but not brilliant) Whyte/Boorer album tracks. I liked On the Streets as well.
I think his stuff, as 2D as it is, brings out some good vocal melodies and energy in Morrissey. A lot of people don't like I'm Okay... but I think it's a strong album closer with plenty of vim & vigor as far as Morrissey himself, if not interesting musically.
I've said it often but Jesse's stuff has a forward propulsion that I like is but Very thin on ideas. I think if you took a typical Jesse track and then had another songwriter + alpha to it you could have something special.
As is, Jesse will probably not (after 7 years) get beyond where he is now and may very well get lazier.

I tire of the constant calls for Morrissey to sack his band. I'd like to see some new collaborators but if that's who he works well with then so be it.
However, he could threaten them with demotion or firing if they don't come up with something better! Might scare up some sparks of brilliance.
I remember a story about Brett Anderson locking Richard Oakes in a hotel room saying he had to come up with songs or be ousted. He's not as good a songwriter as Butler but he did come up with some great stuff for Coming Up!

"In The Future When All's Well" and "You have Killed Me"

Last edited:
Wel... I don't know why so many members are obsessed in offending Tobias

There aren't that many. Just a small number but they keep banging on about it.
I think it's people who are guitarists themselves and can distinguish between brilliant and competent guitar playing (which is fair enough). The large majority of us can't.
The live version of This Charming Man is clearly horrible but that's because it's been re-arranged. The other Smiths songs are generally a joy to hear live and 95% of the people at the live shows absolutely love hearing them.
It's just that the tiny minority who don't are the ones who kick up a huge amount of fuss on the fan sites.

There aren't that many. Just a small number but they keep banging on about it.
I think it's people who are guitarists themselves and can distinguish between brilliant and competent guitar playing (which is fair enough). The large majority of us can't.

I'd like to extend that list to include people with taste and functioning ears and brains...

I like Jesse. Come one he toured with Morissette and played with the peppers... how bad can he be? Not bad at all!

O can say that I REALLY like most of the songs he wrote.

I bet a million dollars if MOZ didn't put that "rock version" of this charming man, ther wouldn't be as much Tobias bashing as there is now. And I cant say I disliked that version either. It sounded more agressive... Which was in line with years of refusal...

Keep it up Jesse.

Keep it up.

And your wife is cute.

Er....they're all great, aren't they? Is there something wrong with me? I especially love:

If you don't like me...
I just want to see the boy happy
I'm ok by myself
On the streets I ran
Sorry doesn't help
In the future..
You have killed me
The youngest..
Children in pieces

Last edited:
I'd agree that these two are probably the most fully-formed of Jesse's contributions - up there with decent (but not brilliant) Whyte/Boorer album tracks. I liked On the Streets as well.
I think his stuff, as 2D as it is, brings out some good vocal melodies and energy in Morrissey. A lot of people don't like I'm Okay... but I think it's a strong album closer with plenty of vim & vigor as far as Morrissey himself, if not interesting musically.
I've said it often but Jesse's stuff has a forward propulsion that I like is but Very thin on ideas. I think if you took a typical Jesse track and then had another songwriter + alpha to it you could have something special.
As is, Jesse will probably not (after 7 years) get beyond where he is now and may very well get lazier.

I tire of the constant calls for Morrissey to sack his band. I'd like to see some new collaborators but if that's who he works well with then so be it.
However, he could threaten them with demotion or firing if they don't come up with something better! Might scare up some sparks of brilliance.
I remember a story about Brett Anderson locking Richard Oakes in a hotel room saying he had to come up with songs or be ousted. He's not as good a songwriter as Butler but he did come up with some great stuff for Coming Up!

'In the Future When All's Well' is one of Morrissey's best tracks in my opinion.

Únicamente una pregunta: la manía que se tiene por parte de algunos miembros del foro es porque Jesse es latino, ¿verdad? Porque otra cosa no se me ocurre, lo siento.

Back
Top Bottom