Jesse Tobias has been with the band for SEVEN years...

I'm OK By Myself I like.

I can't think of one I even mildly like. Telling one Tobias composition from another is a challenge as it is.

Can someone list the songs he is credited with?

Dave

I'm not obsessional about who writes what so I had to look up which tracks Jesse Tobia had a hand in.

Of course you're loading the question by asking the name of a great track. That's so very subjective.

In the RoTT era the one track I wanted to hear was "In the Future When All's Well". Is it great? Depends on my mood. I used to think 'How Soon is Now' was "great", possibly the "best", but not now. Maybe because it's because Morrissey has played it in recent years, and we thought we'd never hear it again. It has very many associations for me.

"All You Need is Me" is a great pop tune and got a fair bit of air play. I really like the conclusion of YoR - "I'm OK by Myself" I think that's great.

Yes. "I'm Ok by Myself" is a great track. I'm smiling just thinking about it and not just because of the lyric - because of the music.
The End.

Blimey, I need to get a ticket for Brixton or the Palladium now. The thought of missing Morrissey on this tour is too much now.

You have Killed me and All you need is me; they are great songs.

Boy happy, children in pieces, OK by myself; they're good too.

Jesse revitalised Morrissey seven years ago and still must have a lot of influence in the Moz camp. I think he's great but I do miss the more delicate pop musings of Alain and Street. Besides, very excited about what this new album will deliver :D x

'The Youngest was the Most Loved', 'On the Streets I Ran' and 'I Just Want to See the Boy Happy' work brilliantly as a self-contained trio. I don't think they work so well within the context of the album. I love to listen to them together. There's a reckless energy about them, an immediacy. It's like listening to a debut EP from a band that hasn't quite got its act together but is frothing with ideas and enthusiasm. There are chips and cracks all over the place and a lack of musical (and lyrical) articulacy but they just sort of work. For me, anyway.

Great songs.

Few will agree, I know.

Hang on... better throw one of these in: :guitar:

I think "You Have Killed Me" and "All You Need is Me" can easily be classified as the best he's done so far. To be fair, though, he hasn't written a lot of material with Morrissey as they've only collaborated on 11 songs thus far (12 if you include the yet-to-be-recorded People Are the Same Everywhere).

My personal favorites are "If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look at Me" and "Children in Pieces" which are overlooked Tobias compositions IMO. I was a bit surprised at the lack of Jesse co-writes for Years of Refusal, especially after all the praise and joy he received from Morrissey during the Ringleader period. But with Alain's questionable status, perhaps we'll see more songs from Jesse on the new album.

The Youngest Was the Most Loved - I actually thought that was a great track.

I think "You Have Killed Me" and "All You Need is Me" can easily be classified as the best he's done so far. To be fair, though, he hasn't written a lot of material with Morrissey as they've only collaborated on 11 songs thus far (12 if you include the yet-to-be-recorded People Are the Same Everywhere).

My personal favorites are "If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look at Me" and "Children in Pieces" which are overlooked Tobias compositions IMO. I was a bit surprised at the lack of Jesse co-writes for Years of Refusal, especially after all the praise and joy he received from Morrissey during the Ringleader period. But with Alain's questionable status, perhaps we'll see more songs from Jesse on the new album.

YHKM is Jesse's only 'very good' song. Isn't it 'very good' rather than great? Great would be 'Everyday is Like Sunday' or 'How Soon is Now.'

Alain is by far the best of the three, though Boz seemed more creative in the mid-late 90s with some good songs.

'On The Streets' is so jaded, 'Boy Happy' is flabby and tuneless, 'In The Future When All's Well' seems to be about to take off but never quite makes it down the run-way. 'Youngest Was The Most Loved' makes it down the run-way but a wing falls off just as the wheels are about to leave the tarmac. Overall, his songs are definitely lacking something quite fundamental. In time we'll probably see Jesse's songwriting as a 'Kill Uncle' kind of undertaking - one that in hindsight might be better if it had been sealed away in a dark room rather than seeing the light of day.

YHKM is Jesse's only 'very good' song. Isn't it 'very good' rather than great? Great would be 'Everyday is Like Sunday' or 'How Soon is Now.'

Alain is by far the best of the three, though Boz seemed more creative in the mid-late 90s with some good songs.

'On The Streets' is so jaded, 'Boy Happy' is flabby and tuneless, 'In The Future When All's Well' seems to be about to take off but never quite makes it down the run-way. 'Youngest Was The Most Loved' makes it down the run-way but a wing falls off just as the wheels are about to leave the tarmac. Overall, his songs are definitely lacking something quite fundamental. In time we'll probably see Jesse's songwriting as a 'Kill Uncle' kind of undertaking - one that in hindsight might be better if it had been sealed away in a dark room rather than seeing the light of day.

I think 'The Youngest was the Most Loved' not only takes off, wings intact, it soars about for a few minutes and then lands again making that cool squee-squee sound you only hear in films. :)

I hadn't noticed before that all the singles off ROTT were Morrissey/Tobias compositions.
I still like "You have killed me" and "I Just Want to See the Boy Happy" and from YOR,"All you need is me and "I'm ok by myself" are great! It's fair enough that the songwriting duties have been shared among JT, BB, AW and MF.
With regards to many songs in the last 5 years I don't think all of Moz's melodies and lyrics have been as spot on as they have been. And some songs falter in his delivery of his words. Moz's traditionally great use of samples (from films, sound effects etc. ) which added a different ambiance to songs, has also not been on a par with his better work.
Above all Tony Visonti's production of ROTT was well intentioned but sometimes a little too plodding.
But I always enjoyed hearing these songs live, nevertheless. They took on a different character altogether, the longer tours went on the better they got.
How many artists (on this level) have consistently produced a great body of work over 20-25 years? Precious few. Most musicians never had the creative output to last more than a decade. I for one am grateful that Moz is still playing and recording.

Back
Top Bottom