Jeff Beck passes away at 78 (January 10, 2023)

[originally posted in Book of Condolence Thread]

Jeff Beck has passed away

Caglar Soyuncu posted the link:

Jeff Beck talks of Morrissey - April 27, 2010

Excerpt from an article in California Chronicle:

During his career Beck has played with Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, Stevie Wonder, Brian May and ZZ Top. In 2009 he guested with Morrissey on the song Black Cloud on his album Year Of Refusal. "I met Morrissey in a hotel in Los Angeles and he put a note under my door saying, 'Would you like to play on my album?' That's how things are with me most of the time. I knew his work with The Smiths and knew he was iconic. I was also aware he was particular about how he liked to do certain things. That suited me because I'm a bit like that myself.

"I thought, what have I got to lose? I'm going to play with the great Morrissey. It was a real friendly gesture."

Links posted by NealCassidy:

full

Related item:

Played on Morrissey’s ‘Black Cloud’ of course.

No joke: I was laying in bed last night randomly thinking about Years Of Refusal and Black Cloud, and was trying to remember if someone guest played on that song or not. Literally the last thing I was thinking about before I fell asleep. Then this news today.

No joke: I was laying in bed last night randomly thinking about Years Of Refusal and Black Cloud, and was trying to remember if someone guest played on that song or not. Literally the last thing I was thinking about before I fell asleep. Then this news today.

I was actually thinking about Black Cloud last week, out of nowhere.

RIP to an innovative player whose talents most likely will not be replicated. He had such a smooth style for a guitarist, and everything he played just looked like it was easy for him, similar to say Steve Gadd is to drums. Beck could really light it up.

Oh dear, 'Black Cloud', not a career-defining moment for Jeff. As we have mentioned on numerous occasions, BC is the exact point, the PRECISE MOMENT it all began to go very wrong. The worst, the VERY WORST song in the solo canon.

I really like YOR, and Black Cloud is a great song on it. I love the lyrics, the production and the musicianship. Thanks to Jeff for his contribution to that.

sad when anyone dies,why is there so many well known people dying these days,its almost everyday you turn on your phone and the first thing you see is a famous persons death,for a rock star to get to 78 is an achievement in itself.

Oh dear, 'Black Cloud', not a career-defining moment for Jeff. As we have mentioned on numerous occasions, BC is the exact point, the PRECISE MOMENT it all began to go very wrong. The worst, the VERY WORST song in the solo canon.
I think it's one of the best songs on Refusal and the guitar playing gives it a real boost and added dimension. Bits of it remind me of Sweet And Tender Hooligan.

always liked black cloud,think his voice is great on it,he did it live in dundee years ago and was a highlight,fantastic.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom