Jeff Beck passes away at 78 (January 10, 2023)

[originally posted in Book of Condolence Thread]

Jeff Beck has passed away

Caglar Soyuncu posted the link:

Jeff Beck talks of Morrissey - April 27, 2010

Excerpt from an article in California Chronicle:

During his career Beck has played with Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, Stevie Wonder, Brian May and ZZ Top. In 2009 he guested with Morrissey on the song Black Cloud on his album Year Of Refusal. "I met Morrissey in a hotel in Los Angeles and he put a note under my door saying, 'Would you like to play on my album?' That's how things are with me most of the time. I knew his work with The Smiths and knew he was iconic. I was also aware he was particular about how he liked to do certain things. That suited me because I'm a bit like that myself.

"I thought, what have I got to lose? I'm going to play with the great Morrissey. It was a real friendly gesture."

Links posted by NealCassidy:

full

Related item:

Never understood why ‘Black Cloud’ gets the flack it does. It’s a great song. I think Boz referred to it as ‘the mighty Black Cloud’ in an interview prior to YORs release, and that hyperbole might have given people a higher opinion of what the song would be like.

Morrissey comments on Jeff:

FWD.

Yes, Moz, as we lose the ones that we love the days become darker and sadness insidiously replace joy in our hearts.

RIP. 💙

The Cliff Gallup tribute record is great but Black Cloud is simply a terrible song.

Compared to "Sorrow Will Come in the End", Black Clouds a masterpiece.

You hit the nail on the head with that one. Sorrow is easily in his top 5 worst.

One of the nicest things about Morrissey's music is that it's easy to pick out the real dire tracks, because there are so few. It's much harder to select the best tracks.

I could be wrong, but i think that's the excellent Clive Deamer drumming with J. Beck there.

Great players are magnetic to other great players. They impress/inspire each other. Musicians of a high caliber lined up to play alongside Jeff Beck - this also displays his greatness. It was probably a lot of fun to simply rehearse with the guy.

One is only 'elite' if others regard you that way, certainly not because you think that of yourself.

Never understood why ‘Black Cloud’ gets the flack it does. It’s a great song. I think Boz referred to it as ‘the mighty Black Cloud’ in an interview prior to YORs release, and that hyperbole might have given people a higher opinion of what the song would be like.
im with you nine,the mighty black cloud,ps theres been a mighty black cloud hanging over my town for the last four days,non stop rain.

So sad that he was in good health only a few weeks ago, makes you realise how quickly it can all be over.

Lots of nice messages regarding him and his work.

yip surf that meningitis is fast and deadly,you only associate it with children but can affect any age.
we should appreciate M while we have him because he wont be around forever,though a few on here would turn off his life support machine without even blinking.

sad when anyone dies,why is there so many well known people dying these days,its almost everyday you turn on your phone and the first thing you see is a famous persons death,for a rock star to get to 78 is an achievement in itself.
Not just famous people either : I

Oh dear, 'Black Cloud', not a career-defining moment for Jeff. As we have mentioned on numerous occasions, BC is the exact point, the PRECISE MOMENT it all began to go very wrong. The worst, the VERY WORST song in the solo canon.
For moron see above^^

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom