'jed Skullcap' ???!

joe frady

Vile Refusenik
Just bought this weeks NME. On page 47 there is a full page ad for the Christmas tour. The ad consists of the same image and details as the one featured in the news story on the main page, as sent in by Joe Dolan. Except that in the very bottom right hand corner of the advertisement, beneath the pink banner that says 'Tickets on sale 9am on Friday 13 October', and printed over the cream coloured shirt that Morrissey is holding behind his back, are two words ' JED SKULLCAP '.

Wtf ?

Kind regards,
joe.

I wondered what that was about too - some in joke that we are missing?

I wondered what that was about too - some in joke that we are missing?

I saw that too. It's the same picture as previewed on the main page on this site, but with those words added. I really hope it is an in-joke or pet-name, because otherwise it might be construed as an anti-semitic reference, Jed being Jewish.

Peter

Can someone scan it (Uncle?). I can't quite picture how the text looks.

Is it a way to pass an unsubtle message to Jed, now that he doesn't work with "Monster" (his nickname for Morrissey) anymore?

Can someone scan it (Uncle?). I can't quite picture how the text looks.

Is it a way to pass an unsubtle message to Jed, now that he doesn't work with "Monster" (his nickname for Morrissey) anymore?

Here it is...

267582891_16561b032e_o.jpg

As I said above, I hope it's a pet-name - I don't like the racist undertones.

Peter

Search query: SKULLCAP

Entry printed from Oxford English Dictionary Online
Copyright © Oxford University Press 2006

skull-cap SECOND EDITION 1989

(sklkæp) Also 7-9 scull-cap. [f. SKULL n.1 + CAP n.1]

1. a. A light, close-fitting cap, usu. of silk, velvet, or other soft material, for covering the head.

1682 LUTTRELL Brief Rel. (1857) I. 182 About 30 persons,..clad in Indian stuffs, with sculp [sic] caps on their heads. 1687 MIÉGE Gt. Fr. Dict. II. s.v., A Scull-cap, that some wear under the Perwig. 1753 HANWAY Trav. (1762) I. III. xlii. 194 They also use scull-caps of paper, or a cabbage-leaf under their hats. 1819 SCOTT Leg. Montrose xi, A Presbyterian clergyman,..wearing a black silk scull-cap. 1869 H. F. TOZER Highl. Turkey II. 206 Their black and greasy scull~caps..might once have been red.

1704 STEELE Lying Lovers II. i, I suppose I was used like other Children. They clap'd me on a Skul-cap. a1734 NORTH Lives (1826) I. 59 He wore commonly a little leather cap, which sort was then called skull caps. 1848 LAYARD Nineveh vii. (1850) 141 The women wore small embroidered skull-caps. 1888 BURGON Lives 12 Gd. Men I. iii. 355 He commonly wore a black silk skull-cap.

b. fig.

1960 S. BECKER tr. A. Schwarz-Bart's Last of Just (1961) VI. 305 Everything under the skullcap of the heavens that called itself a democracy. 1978 Amer. Poetry Rev. July/Aug. 35/2, I remember the moon is a skullcap not placed properly on the head.

2. Hist. A steel or iron cap, a form of casque or helmet fitting closely to the head; = SKULL n.1 3.

1820 SCOTT Monast. ix, An iron skull-cap, none of the brightest, bore for distinction a sprig of the holly. 1824 W. IRVING T. Trav. (1849) 174 There was a ferocious tyrant in a skullcap like an inverted porringer, and a dress of red baize. 1834 J. R. PLANCHÉ Brit. Costume 98 Skull-caps.., with or without nasals, are common amongst esquires, archers and men at arms.

3. Bot. One or other of various species of plants belonging to the genus Scutellaria, in which the calyx finally assumes the appearance of a helmet.

1760 J. LEE Introd. Bot. App. 326 Scull-cap, see Skull-cap. 1777 LIGHTFOOT Flora Scot. I. 320 Scutellaria,..Little red Scull-cap or Willow-herb. 1821 BARTON Flora N. Amer. I. 5 Scutellaria hyssopifolia. Hyssop-leaved Scull-cap. Ibid. 78 Scutellaria laterifolia. Side-flowering Scull-cap... Blue Scull-cap. 1845-50 A. H. LINCOLN Lect. Bot. 172 The scull-cap, (Scutellaria,)..has been said to be a remedy for the hydrophobia.

1760 J. LEE Introd. Bot. App. 327 Skull-cap, Scutellaria. 1786 ABERCROMBIE Arr. 67 in Gard. Assist., Skull-cap, or helmet flower. 1855 MISS PRATT Flowering Pl. IV. 205 Common Skull-cap..received its name from the singular impalement of its calyx, which, when inverted, resembles a helmet with its visor raised.

b. Amer. (See quot.)

1846-50 A. WOOD Class-bk. Bot. 406 Veronica scutellata, Skull-cap or Marsh Speedwell,..[grows] in swamps and marshes, N. Eng. and Western States, and Brit. Am[erica].

4. Geol. (See quots.)

1839 Civil Eng. & Arch. Jrnl. II. 375/2 The skull cap [in certain quarries in the island of Portland] is irregular in texture; it is a well-compacted limestone, containing cherty nodules. 1860 R. DAMON Geol. Weymouth 88 The term ‘skull cap’, applied to the solid layers constituting the lowest bed of the Purbeck formation, is intended to denote its position in relation to other beds below. 1885 R. ETHERIDGE Stratigr. Geol. & Palæontol. 478 note, The lower Purbeck beds are known as the ‘cap’ and the ‘skull cap’. They are botryoidal limestones or indurated calcareous tuffs, possibly derived from the denudation of the Portland rocks.

5. Anat. The bony structure covering the brain; the top or roof of the head.

1855 L. HOLDEN Human Osteology 94 The skull-cap is composed of the expanded arches of three of the cranial vertebræ, and forms a beautiful oval dome for the protection of the brain. 1866 Chambers's Encycl. VIII. 760/1 These fossæ are marked, as is the whole skull-cap, by the cerebral convolutions.

Maybe it is something as simple as who took the photo/who made the advert

Well, it makes sense as a cocky photo credit for Jed, who I'm sure snapped the photo while Moz was in Roma for the ROTT sessions.

Thanks for scanning it, Skinny.

Remember there were two "leaked" e-mails from morrissey a while back? Did they turn out to be hoaxes? And is Jed still working for Moz?

The ad for the tour was in the Guardian yesterday. "Jed Skullcap" was on the ad again, this time up the side, different orientation. It does indeed look like a photo credit for Jed (in the printed media), but why not "Jed Weitzman"? I still hope it's a pet name for Jed.

Peter

it doesn't sit well with me, is it another goodbye for someone who got to close to Moz?

love

Grim

The ad for the tour was in the Guardian yesterday. "Jed Skullcap" was on the ad again, this time up the side, different orientation. It does indeed look like a photo credit for Jed (in the printed media), but why not "Jed Weitzman"? I still hope it's a pet name for Jed.

Peter

this thread should be renamed:ARE YOU OR HAVE YOU EVER BEEN.......
speculation , speculation, it's like the salem whitch hunt all over again.
how a simple two words on a picture came to mean something so sinistre to so many of you , i'll never know.
drop it , move on, there's nothing in this story.

sigh

this thread should be renamed:ARE YOU OR HAVE YOU EVER BEEN.......
speculation , speculation, it's like the salem whitch hunt all over again.
how a simple two words on a picture came to mean something so sinistre to so many of you , i'll never know.
drop it , move on, there's nothing in this story.

sigh

I may well sigh too. This is not, as you put it, a 'witch hunt'. I'd just like to know why the word was used instead of his surname in the photo credit. That is all. Like Grim above, until there's a friendly explanation, I'm still unsure.

Peter

. Like Grim above, until there's a friendly explanation, I'm still unsure.

unsure of what?
and why the hell do you or anyone think that you deserve any form of explanation ftrom anyone?

this reeks of pure rumour mongering and hysteria, which is why it should never have been put on the main board.

anyway i don't wish to add more to this nonsense, like i said before, drop it and move on.

. Like Grim above, until there's a friendly explanation, I'm still unsure.

unsure of what?
and why the hell do you or anyone think that you deserve any form of explanation ftrom anyone?

this reeks of pure rumour mongering and hysteria, which is why it should never have been put on the main board.

anyway i don't wish to add more to this nonsense, like i said before, drop it and move on.

Since you asked...unsure of whether the insertion of that particular word was malicious and possibly anti-semitic. Maybe I don't deserve an explanation, but I thought I knew the person whose music I've been buying, admiring and enjoying since 1984. You think this is rumour mongering and hysteria? Your opinion. It's your choice to ignore what I've posted, just as it's my choice to ignore anyone else's. And it's my choice, and no-one else's to form and have an opinion on this issue. As I said earlier, maybe I don't deserve an explanation, but if anyone can give one, then fine. And by the way, I won't have you or anyone else tell me to 'drop it and move on' - you have your opinion, I have mine.

Peter

Here it is...

267582891_16561b032e_o.jpg

As I said above, I hope it's a pet-name - I don't like the racist undertones.

Peter

It's a bit dodgy! Moz on rocky ground again.

From a graphic design point of veiw - that's the same font as was used on The World Won't Listen

Sorry, me stupid italian wop...

what is a skullcap?
And why is jed a reference to Jewish people?

Also, is Merck a jed... sorry a jewish?

RS

Rocco, read #7 which Belligerent Ghoul's post, it explains about skullcap.
Merek's parents are Greek origin.

Back
Top Bottom