je suis mort ici?

mywar

practicing troublemaker
the subject of the "je suis morrissey" shirts came up somehow in another (completely non moz-related) forum, and someone pointed out that the pronunciation sounds a lot like "je suis mort ici", which supposedly means "i am dead here" or "i died here" or something like that...
now i don't know a word of french personally, and even the person who posted it didn't seem 100% sure, so i could be way off. i guess i'm just bored and curious if this is just a strange (and quite appropriate) coincidence, some kind of double entendre (wow, i guess i know a little bit of french after all!) or if it's just wrong altogether?

that is kinda cool. although i think ici is pronounced eesee so its a little off, still a cool observation though. and i guess a french person might pronounce it morreessee. i'll have to ask the next one i see.

I never noticed, but that's fantastic and I believe your friend is right - "I died here," past tense.

No doubt it was intentional.

that is kinda cool. although i think ici is pronounced eesee so its a little off, still a cool observation though. and i guess a french person might pronounce it morreessee.

But I think that is how the French would prononce 'Morrissey'

very clever for noticing that, mywar, very astute...

I speak French, but I'm not a native speaker. "Je suis mort" can be translated both as "I am dead" and "I died". Yes, it does sound like a pun!

My fave French pun related to the Smiths is "J'en ai marre", which roughly means "I'm fed up" or "I'm pissed off", and it sounds just like "Johnny Marr". :p

There's more of these French/English language thingies:

je t'adore (I adore you) - shut the door
un oeuf est un oeuf (an egg is an egg) - enough is enough

:)

un oeuf est un oeuf (an egg is an egg) - enough is enough

:)

Heh heh, I'll have to stifle the groan when Mozzer makes this pun in France. Maybe he'll do it before/after "Interesting Jugs" when he typically sings "enough is too much".

I'm trying to remember this horrible pun he made in Paris a couple of years ago. He said something about a bench. Anyone remember this? This was either in 2002 or 2004.

That night also prefaced one of his songs (maybe Alsation Cousin?) saying it was called, "Pomme Pomme Pomme -- which means apple apple apple". That didn't make sense to me at the timel. But then a couple of years later, one of his intermission songs was this Eurovision entry -- "Pomme Pomme Pomme". Aha!

the subject of the "je suis morrissey" shirts came up somehow in another (completely non moz-related) forum, and someone pointed out that the pronunciation sounds a lot like "je suis mort ici", which supposedly means "i am dead here" or "i died here" or something like that...
now i don't know a word of french personally, and even the person who posted it didn't seem 100% sure, so i could be way off. i guess i'm just bored and curious if this is just a strange (and quite appropriate) coincidence, some kind of double entendre (wow, i guess i know a little bit of french after all!) or if it's just wrong altogether?

Yes Je suis mort ici means "i died here" and the pronunciation does sound a lot like Je suis Morrissey - It´s funny it never occured to me (having lived many years in Paris , it should have ;) - That's really cool :cool:

:eek: I does sound like je suis mort ici, when you say it in french. cool.

Not to be a kill joy, but after years of mandated French classes from my father, I thought the "t" in morte was NOT silent. So, it really wouldn't sound like Je suis Morrissey??? :confused:

Sorry it's off-topic, but French people pronounce Morrissey's name differently?

My French friends often say Morri-say.
Suffiix is pronounced French way which makes me giggle.

Sorry it's off-topic, but French people pronounce Morrissey's name differently?

My French friends often say Morri-say.
Suffiix is pronounced French way which makes me giggle.

You're right.

And i think it's not correct to pronounce the 't in "je suis mort ici". the t there is silent to me. It wouldnt sound good to pronounce it and if i did you'd think "je" is a female.

I'm not sure but in this case, i think the rule is to not pronounce the "t" after a word that finishes with the sound "r" (in mort itself the t is silent so it finishes with the "r" sound).

Sorry for my bad english and my little knowledge in french.

"je suis" can mean "i am" or "i follow."
so i always thought the point of the shirt was that either morrissey or his fans could wear it.

Not to be a kill joy, but after years of mandated French classes from my father, I thought the "t" in morte was NOT silent. So, it really wouldn't sound like Je suis Morrissey??? :confused:

Yes, but:
Je suis mort ici= silent "t" male
Je suis morte ici= not silent "t" female

I died here (Morrissey) Je suis mort ici= silent "t"

And yes, in France he's called Morrissay! :D
I'm french.....:o

Back
Top Bottom