Jarvis on Moz & The Smiths...

Voodoo Doll

"I was jealous of The Smiths because they were from the North and in a faintly similar vein to us, compared to everything else around. But I resented anyone who was successful.
I thought Morrissey's words were alright sometimes, and I liked a couple of songs like 'Girlfriend in a coma', but it all didnt have much of a tune for me, and I just dont think he can sing, which is his problem, I'd say. And I've never been into this 'Johnny Marr, guitarist for a generation stuff.
The Smiths first album came out the same week as ours. They got attention and we didnt.
(1995)

Obviously, you've got to be true to what you are. I think that is why Morrissey's had loads of problems, and why he's not considered to be significant any more. He just kept harping on about the same things, and after a while people think 'Well its alright going on about being inadequate, but you're not inadequate any more because you're popular."
(1996)

I dont know what interviews these quotes are from, I read them in Jarvis Cocker in his own words which is now deleted and cost me a fortune. Anyone want to buy it? I seem to have gone off the beardy bastard :D

"I was jealous of The Smiths because they were from the North and in a faintly similar vein to us, compared to everything else around. But I resented anyone who was successful.
I thought Morrissey's words were alright sometimes, and I liked a couple of songs like 'Girlfriend in a coma', but it all didnt have much of a tune for me, and I just dont think he can sing, which is his problem, I'd say. And I've never been into this 'Johnny Marr, guitarist for a generation stuff.
The Smiths first album came out the same week as ours. They got attention and we didnt.
(1995)

Obviously, you've got to be true to what you are. I think that is why Morrissey's had loads of problems, and why he's not considered to be significant any more. He just kept harping on about the same things, and after a while people think 'Well its alright going on about being inadequate, but you're not inadequate any more because you're popular."
(1996)

I dont know what interviews these quotes are from, I read them in Jarvis Cocker in his own words which is now deleted and cost me a fortune. Anyone want to buy it? I seem to have gone off the beardy bastard :D

What is he talking about, the Smiths first album came out the same week as theirs? Pulp didn't exist when the Smiths started out.

What is he talking about, the Smiths first album came out the same week as theirs? Pulp didn't exist when the Smiths started out.
they did actually but werent that superpopular among the mainstream as they were then 95/96;-)
a bit offtopic but does anyone know nick cave`s coverversion of disco 2000? i found that version quite funny..
dont have a cd of them but plan to buy some of them soon..have not completely made them out or dint know too much of them beside some info like the lifespan of their band(how long they exist) and beside a few songs( would i like it album length? hmm.he is a intersting character though)..oh wait i saw them on a festival 98..cant remember his performance though
I have amorrissey bootleg videocassette where for some strange reason some pulp tv perforamces and interviews are on..these videoscassette nomally contain only morrissey stuff so after a couple of minute the morrissey thing ends the pulp part begins and ends as abrutely

Last edited:

This post shows you don't know much about Pulp.

Pulp was formed in late 70s, didn't get any attention from media until early 90s.

I remember when Morrissey was on Later with Jools Holland in 1995 and Pulp totally stole the show. It was the end of an era for Moz which was evident with his pained interview with Jools. It was Pulp's night though and I couldn't begrudge them their success.

Yeah I remember reading that.

Always
Sista Sheila - you can get that Nick Cave version as a b-side on the Pulp tune called Bad Cover Version (funnily enough). )
yes thanks but i have heard the bside a few years ago so i know them..so i just wondered of the opinions of others on it

Ah ok sorry and there was me rambling like no tomorrow!

Yeah I like the Nick Cave version, much better than Joe Dolan's version!

no reason for being sorry;)...and thanks for the tips..very appreciated..go on "rambling"..;-)

Well I don't think Jarvis can sing...that doesn't mean I can't deem him an excellent vocalist.

Exactly. And it's a bit rich for Jarvis to knock The Smiths for lack of melody when Pulp's material suffered much worse for this IMO. Jarvis is extremely talented as a lyricist, but a potentially great song like "Sheffield Sex City" is virtually tuneless.

This post shows you don't know much about Pulp.

Pulp was formed in late 70s, didn't get any attention from media until early 90s.
Yes Kewpie you got me. I don't know much about pulp, and yet somehow I get by. You definitely mistook me for someone who gives a shit that's for sure. Actually I don't mind pulp in my juice.

Late 70's? How old is this Jarvis Cocker anyway? His best work is definitely behind him and by behind I mean him mooning Michael Jackson. :D

Yes Kewpie you got me. I don't know much about pulp, and yet somehow I get by. You definitely mistook me for someone who gives a shit that's for sure. Actually I don't mind pulp in my juice.

Late 70's? How old is this Jarvis Cocker anyway? His best work is definitely behind him and by behind I mean him mooning Michael Jackson. :D

Jarvis is about a month older than Johnny Marr.
It's miraculous that Jarvis didn't split Pulp after not getting any attention from both media and audience more than a decade.
It took them a long time to find their musical style which finally managed to get noticed.

Pulp's 1st John Peel session was on 18th November 1981 - some 20 months before The Smiths 1st Peel session.

Jukebox Jury

I remember when Morrissey was on Later with Jools Holland in 1995 and Pulp totally stole the show. It was the end of an era for Moz which was evident with his pained interview with Jools. It was Pulp's night though and I couldn't begrudge them their success.

i remember that show too - pulp did "i spy" i think and it was a brilliant performance and moz did seem pale in comparison . Pulp were a great band and richly deserved their success after many years of striving. Jarvis is a witty and charismatic frontman and is a match for moz on all fronts.

Well I don't think Jarvis can sing...that doesn't mean I can't deem him an excellent vocalist.
:clap:

Well just looking at the footage of Pulp on youtube (being on three and a half at the time:rolleyes:) and I think Morrissey was essentially better; Pulp seemed identical to the album version, which you must admit makes them highly skilled however M. to me was astonishingly:p good - possibly thanks to Alain.

Also, Pulp were apparently the month before.:o

Back
Top Bottom