Jarvis Cocker ''Jealous of Morrissey & The Smiths''

From today's Manchester Evening News:

Pulp frontman Jarvis Cocker reveals jealousy over Morrissey and the Smiths

Excerpt:

But he told an audience of 500 fans at Manchester Town Hall that he thought the success of The Smiths had stolen his thunder when he was just a lad.

Speaking to DJ Dave Haslam at his latest Close Up event as part of the Manchester Weekender, Jarvis said that seeing Morrissey singing with The Smiths on Top Of The Pops made him worry 'there was no room for two northern misfits' in music.
Jarvis, who started Pulp in 1978 when he was just 15 years old, added: "It took me a long time to get over that, and it was just petty jealousy really. Can I apologise for that?"
Jarvis and Moz only met once - on a small aeroplane to Ireland.

"Morrissey was just sat there," Jarvis recalled. "Obviously, we're both very awkward and both said, 'Hi, where are you going?', when it was obviously really because we were both on the same plane."

Last edited by a moderator:
Jarvis Cocker is a nice and honest guy... and Pulp is a nice band.

It was obvious, The difference is Jarvis is a nice lad who is a giant fake. The Christopher Biggins of indie. Jarvis liked to pretend he was a misfit while going to virtually any indie event going. He liked to bitch about Moz while stealing his ideas and taking out any real depth and selling it with a disco beat. During the 80s Pulp were a Fall rip off band. In the 90s they were an empty art school, PC,media friendly version of the Smiths and Jarvis an empty Morrissey try to be.

It was obvious, The difference is Jarvis is a nice lad who is a giant fake. The Christopher Biggins of indie. Jarvis liked to pretend he was a misfit while going to virtually any indie event going. He liked to bitch about Moz while stealing his ideas and taking out any real depth and selling it with a disco beat. During the 80s Pulp were a Fall rip off band. In the 90s they were an empty art school, PC,media friendly version of the Smiths and Jarvis an empty Morrissey try to be.

err... I don't think you were actually there at the time. You can say what you like about Jarvis but he's always been honest and his character is a creation borne by influences and experience. His farah slacks no more "fake" than Moz's national health glasses or ladies blouses. And likening Pulp to the Fall is just idiotic. Jarvis is one of the brightest and wittiest lyricists we've had (comparable to Moz). Pulp were no more "media friendly" than the Smiths... explicit songs about drugs, about the elderly, intelligently expressed ideas that, bizarrely, became briefly hugely popular. You can't blame Jarvis for having top ten hits.

So this link was provided by MancGirl in the forums.............. who you then banned after that one post!!!!
Hyper-crit-ical.
Up The Blues for Sunday
MCFC The Pride of Manchester

err... I don't think you were actually there at the time. You can say what you like about Jarvis but he's always been honest and his character is a creation borne by influences and experience. His farah slacks no more "fake" than Moz's national health glasses or ladies blouses. And likening Pulp to the Fall is just idiotic. Jarvis is one of the brightest and wittiest lyricists we've had (comparable to Moz). Pulp were no more "media friendly" than the Smiths... explicit songs about drugs, about the elderly, intelligently expressed ideas that, bizarrely, became briefly hugely popular. You can't blame Jarvis for having top ten hits.

Agreed 100%

But did you see him at Reading this year? Put Moz to shame

Last edited:
Jarvis is as Morrissey everywhere but in the UK underrated, add Lloyd Cole and you got 3 of UK's finest lyricists.

put Elvis Costello in , and you've got a full house:lbf:

Dear son,

Jarvis is jolly after all.
But Reading? Bore. Trying a lot, but very patetic.

we'll let you know
Hey We'll let you know, saw your posts about Moz using auto tuning to correct his voice, after our battles in the past, pleased to report that I couldn't agree more.
I've only seen him a few times but technically he is note perfect. A great musician.

Hey We'll let you know, saw your posts about Moz using auto tuning to correct his voice, after our battles in the past, pleased to report that I couldn't agree more.
I've only seen him a few times but technically he is note perfect. A great musician.

Always
we'll let you know

I don't see how you can conclude Jarvis is a "fake" who pretended to be a misfit without knowing about his background. I grew up in the same area of Sheffield as Jarvis and it was no bed of roses. I know people who knew him and his band and they didn't fit in at all with their peers. Also, until John Peel played their records, Pulp were largely ignored by both the pop and the alternative scene. They formed in 1978, prior to The Smiths, so I don't see how Jarvis could have "stolen" Morrissey's ideas. It's more likely that Sheffield and Manchester were spawning similar bands and artists because of their similar economic, post-industrialist and social circumstances. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a Sheffield girl and His 'n' Hers is one of my favourite albums, but I love Jarvis and Pulp ... just not quite as much as I love Morrissey and The Smiths. And so what if he bitched about Moz? Moz has done his fair share of bitching over the years.

"You can't blame Jarvis for having top ten hits"
Sad Son,

Jarvis never had top ten hit. Pulp yes, but Jarvis never. His solo effort was total disaster. Only Richard Hawleys geeta was any good on his poor recordings.
Morrissey is artist with integrity. Jarvis is clown. Nice and funny and digestible. But clown.

we'll let you know

... and Jarvis was briefly friend from dandy Sebastian Horsley, and that fact is the most interesting thing in Cocker life.

we'll let you know

"You can't blame Jarvis for having top ten hits"
Sad Son,

Jarvis never had top ten hit. Pulp yes, but Jarvis never. His solo effort was total disaster. Only Richard Hawleys geeta was any good on his poor recordings.
Morrissey is artist with integrity. Jarvis is clown. Nice and funny and digestible. But clown.

we'll let you know

pedantic idiot... the point is not about Jarvis as a solo artist but as a songwriter with Pulp. And anybody who spells guitar "geeta" is obviously a half-wit.

Cocker is a cocky little cock for even daring to suggest he is anywhere near to Morrissey's level.

So this link was provided by MancGirl in the forums.............. who you then banned after that one post!!!!
Hyper-crit-ical.
Up The Blues for Sunday
MCFC The Pride of Manchester

Blue c***. Manchester 3/4 red.

pedantic idiot... the point is not about Jarvis as a solo artist but as a songwriter with Pulp. And anybody who spells guitar "geeta" is obviously a half-wit.

Sad son,

Jarvis alone is patetic songwriter. With Pulp he has minor mercy with songs because he has competent people around him (Richard Hawley, and before Russel Senior). When he decided to put his, HIS (first solo album has a name "Jarvis Cocker Record") material it was disaster.
Word "geeta". Obviously, you don't understand mordant verbalism, because you listen idiotic rap music all the time. It was used to show how Jarvis Cocker solo thing fully depend on Richard Hawley's riffs when Richard is not very in - as person and as an artist concerning dull ideas presented from Cocker.
And yes, Richard's solo albums are Beautiful (we love!!!, adore!!! "Lowedges").

we'll let you know

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom