Japanese suicide on front e-page of Japan Today nearly every day

bogdana

Finer Things Club Prez
There is a cultural belief system in Japan where suicide is not looked at as a cardinal sin, but almost honorable. Because of this, Japan has one of the highest suicide rates in the world.
Suicide suspends yamanote line ops more than 4 hours
you'd think suicides wouldn't make the news there, but they do, every day. This one stopped 'traffic', but yesterday there was a non-obstructing suicide story and the day before there was another one.

I kind of wish suicide was looked at as a big sin in Japan, too, I see a lot of needless deaths, it is sad, especially the youth, or those who just don't have the money to pay the bills (sadly this happens a lot). Do you think these suicidal tendencies can ever be pared down in Japan?

There is a cultural belief system in Japan where suicide is not looked at as a cardinal sin, but almost honorable. Because of this, Japan has one of the highest suicide rates in the world.
Suicide suspends yamanote line ops more than 4 hours
you'd think suicides wouldn't make the news there, but they do, every day. This one stopped 'traffic', but yesterday there was a non-obstructing suicide story and the day before there was another one.

I kind of wish suicide was looked at as a big sin in Japan, too, I see a lot of needless deaths, it is sad, especially the youth, or those who just don't have the money to pay the bills (sadly this happens a lot). Do you think these suicidal tendencies can ever be pared down in Japan?

Ahh... Christmas...
When I get to call work during my morning commute and tell my boss. Yeah... I am going to be late again. Someone decided to jump onto the tracks and ruin the commute for the rest of us.

On a side note though, stupid people deserve to die. A few years ago the entire system was given a backhanded smack when they shut the L train for an ongoing police investigation. A bunch of idiots decided to see if they could surf the subway train. Yeah that worked out until they hit the low beam and went flying off the car instantaneously being killed in the process.

Ahh... Christmas...
When I get to call work during my morning commute and tell my boss. Yeah... I am going to be late again. Someone decided to jump onto the tracks and ruin the commute for the rest of us.

On a side note though, stupid people deserve to die. A few years ago the entire system was given a backhanded smack when they shut the L train for an ongoing police investigation. A bunch of idiots decided to see if they could surf the subway train. Yeah that worked out until they hit the low beam and went flying off the car instantaneously being killed in the process.

I am assuming when you say "stupid people" you arent talking about the mentally ill who kill themselves but the idiots that were farking around on the subway as a prank! its hard to feel bad about people who do things thye know they shouldnt and them get squashed.

I remember reading about this or hearing about this on 60 Minutes. Apparently, among the Japanese youths, the pressure to succeed and be a perfect student and citizen in EVERY way makes some students go over the edge because it's hammered into them at an early age that they MUST get perfect marks in school and anything less than perfect means they have put shame on their family and then when you have shamed your family by your not so perfect acedemic record, the teen cannot help it any longer and they snap and kill themselves. This is just what I read, so I don't know if this is accurate. Pretty horrific. :( EDIT- I don't believe suicide is a sin, but I do believe it's totally selfish. It's obvious one wouldn't care about their grieving family and friends.

Last edited:
I used to have a Japanese flatmate and she felt she was under too much pressure to peform well at uni. We had a few discussions on the subject. I was by no means a hardworking student and she told me she found my rather laid-back approach to studying refreshing. :o:D

Well, it's no wonder! I'm sure she felt much better in that environment!

This song pops to mind. From the great album: The Final Cut, 1983

PINK FLOYD

The Post War Dream (Waters)

Tell me true, tell me why, was Jesus crucified
Is it for this that Daddy died?
Was it for you? Was it me?
Did I watch too much T.V.?
Is that a hint of accusation in your eyes?
If it wasn't for the nips*
Being so good at building ships
The yards would still be open on the clyde.
And it can't be much fun for them
Beneath the rising sun
With all their kids committing suicide.
What have we done, Maggie what have we done?
What have we done to England?
Should we shout, should we scream
"What happened to the post war dream?"
Oh Maggie, Maggie what have we done?

*Pink Floyds use of the word not mine!

I am assuming when you say "stupid people" you arent talking about the mentally ill who kill themselves but the idiots that were farking around on the subway as a prank! its hard to feel bad about people who do things thye know they shouldnt and them get squashed.

Oh absolutely. I literally mean that there was a group of idiots that wanted to see if they could surf a train. I was mistaken though it was the C train (the incident I was thinking of) It tied up the whole subway system on that day in 2003. One guy went between the cars and shimmied his way up using the guard rail and tried surfing the car while his friends cheered him on. I thought of the L train because as I was on that train a week later a few college kids were debating if it could be done. One kid was on his way to show everyone that if you lay flat there is no problem. As he was about to go between the cars some guy stopped him. I will never forget this as everyone around laughed at the college kid. This random stranger said "If you try it and get killed making me late I am going to find your mamma and beat the shit out of her for even having you." College kid decided that he should rethink his idea of fun- at least for that day.

It is something that has somewhat of a repeated history here in NY. Then the parents and relatives get all upset and blame the MTA and the City for allowing it to happen and / or not putting enough protective measures in for doing that. Giuliani who was mayor at the time responded back in 1996, "There is no way that you can protect a child who decides to surf on top of a subway car." I totally agree with that. If you are not smart enough to realize that surfing a subway car because you are out for a thrill ride is going to get you killed and if you are lucky only seriously maimed, please step out of the gene pool.

Back
Top Bottom