James Maker memoir out July 6th

cool! and cooler trailer! The Dolls were really such a big influence on those boys, I wonder if 'E is M' will even have any Dolls records being played in it?, did the Dolls even make the cut? or did they feel that they too were not important enough when the subject of the film is about M's youth and those that have shaped him.

BOYCOTT 'ENGLAND IS MINE' !!!

cool! and cooler trailer! The Dolls were really such a big influence on those boys, I wonder if 'E is M' will even have any Dolls records being played in it?, did the Dolls even make the cut? or did they feel that they too were not important enough when the subject of the film is about M's youth and those that have shaped him.

BOYCOTT 'ENGLAND IS MINE' !!!

GOOD question. Lol.

GOOD question. Lol.

A question that didn't seem to concern the moviemakers much though, didn't it?
I think THAT is what I would call an omission.
I can't remember in which review it was but music from the Dolls was mentioned to be in it.

Very good trailer!
Better then the "other" one.

I'm reading it right now. Very amusing. Here a tidbit about Moz:

"But if one is vegan there is the ever-present danger of being photographed sat between a lobster salad and David Furnish." :lbf:

I'm reading it right now. Very amusing. Here a tidbit about Moz:

"But if one is vegan there is the ever-present danger of being photographed sat between a lobster salad and David Furnish." :lbf:

Is he calling Elton John a 'lobster salad' ? Well, that would make anyone vegan ! :D

"The young Morrissey garret was a microcosm of pop symbolism. The walls were coevered in large, framed photographs of the New York Dolls and James Dean along with a signed print of the British comedy actress Esma Canon. A Remington typewriter was positioned under a window that looked out to a small and scarcely-used garden where the family cat, Tibby, was buried. Mournfully, not buried deep enough as Tibby had a propensity to resurface in heavy rainfall. There was a bookcase stuffed with classic English literature, modern American titles, film compendiums and feminist writing. All along the floor of one wall were stacked a raft of vinyl records in alphabetical order. It was an enclosed world, seemingly independent of its surroundings, which could have been either a sanctuary or a cell depending upon one's taste in curtains. But, certainly, it was from within these four walls that were formulated many of the ideas and themes one would later see in their various manifestations: words, sleeve designs, videos."

"Thus began a friendship and a correspondance spanning more than three decades. One could identity his missives - even though the Penny Black might have fallen off - by the now famous Morrissey font and the whiff of household damp on manila."

"It was clear from the outset that we were both patients, in adjacent beds, whose tenure on the Ambrosine Phillpotts ward was indefinite."

"He may always rely on me to telegraph the news of a film star's demise: 'Deborah Kerr. Dead. 2.30AM Pacific Standard Time. A bit bland, I thought.' And I can rely on him to consistently slide the abacus against my true age. It is an arrangement that one understands."

"Morrissey refused to give up his seat on life's bus."

"The young Morrissey garret was a microcosm of pop symbolism. The walls were coevered in large, framed photographs of the New York Dolls and James Dean along with a signed print of the British comedy actress Esma Canon. A Remington typewriter was positioned under a window that looked out to a small and scarcely-used garden where the family cat, Tibby, was buried. Mournfully, not buried deep enough as Tibby had a propensity to resurface in heavy rainfall. There was a bookcase stuffed with classic English literature, modern American titles, film compendiums and feminist writing. All along the floor of one wall were stacked a raft of vinyl records in alphabetical order. It was an enclosed world, seemingly independent of its surroundings, which could have been either a sanctuary or a cell depending upon one's taste in curtains. But, certainly, it was from within these four walls that were formulated many of the ideas and themes one would later see in their various manifestations: words, sleeve designs, videos."

"Thus began a friendship and a correspondance spanning more than three decades. One could identity his missives - even though the Penny Black might have fallen off - by the now famous Morrissey font and the whiff of household damp on manila."

"It was clear from the outset that we were both patients, in adjacent beds, whose tenure on the Ambrosine Phillpotts ward was indefinite."

"He may always rely on me to telegraph the news of a film star's demise: 'Deborah Kerr. Dead. 2.30AM Pacific Standard Time. A bit bland, I thought.' And I can rely on him to consistently slide the abacus against my true age. It is an arrangement that one understands."

"Morrissey refused to give up his seat on life's bus."

'"He may always rely on me to telegraph the news of a film star's demise: 'Deborah Kerr. Dead. 2.30AM Pacific Standard Time. A bit bland, I thought.' And I can rely on him to consistently slide the abacus against my true age. It is an arrangement that one understands."

wow, that's lovely. :love:

"I feel that Morrissey has achieved the impossible. It is the straightforward that eludes him. He had to become famous because, although he is a savant the auditorium, he is a dead loss in a launderette."

"The partnership of Morrissey and Marr is comparable to that of John Lennon and Paul McCartney and, later, Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, in that it was a marriage of almost licentious fecundity."

"With Morrissey, the direct approach or the approach without charm, rarely works. One must learn to play canasta."

"In the expanse of time that I have known him, there has never been a partner or long-term girlfriend, or boyfriend. Exactly why this should be so is an enduring conundrum. However, it is true that the longer one lives alone the more one comes accustomed to, if not steeped in, one's own marmalade. As one passes into maturity, domestic routine becomes an ineluctable destiny. One might yearn for companionship, but not at the cost of someone marching in and altering a perfectly good kitchen roster that has suited you since Bananarama disbanded."

"Morrissey's spiritual home is neither Los Angeles nor Stretford but, in fact, Sidcup."

"I have at times felt his acute loneliness and it is seemingly an unbridgeable emptiness. It is not diabetes or an insufficiently warmed-up fishcake in Carcassonne that will undo you (as it nearly did me), but loneliness. Loneliness can suffocate you with the sheer weight of hourly, if not minutely, desolation. In a conversation that endeavoured to map the geometry of seclution, I said, finally, 'I think you have to be more socially available.' 'What do you want me to do, hang above Henley-on-Thames in an air balloon?' In the absence of a partner, I believe the stockpile of all that unspent love and desire has been, if not sublimated, discharged into the world as fusillades of epic biography. But, it's not all Hebridean weather fronts stacking up and waiting to roll in to darken one's dawn. Morrissey bears his inner solitude manfully and, despite it, is rarely without that sabre-like sense of humour. Simply, he is the funniest person I have ever met. As I write this, he is technically homeless and virtually lives on tour. Unbidden, because I'm a busybody who is unable not to interfere in the affairs of others, I tried to tempt him towards a variety of unusual or modern homes, and away from living in a gothic, Robert Bloch novel. 'And the beauty of it is, your existing furniture would give this particular space an interesting tension with absolutely no need to re-cover.' 'Tension?' 'Interest.' 'I can't sort tonight out, never mind remodel a windmill in Provence.' 'What about the bungalow on Crest Court, then?' 'I'm not going into a bungalow, it's far too OAP. Where is it?' 'Beverly Hills.' 'Well, it sounds like East Ham.'"

"Morrissey remains, for the greater part, an enigma. You may feel that you have peeled away 'the mask', but beneath it lies another. You can try removing that one too, but it's pointless. To uncover the real Morrissey requires only to intently listen to the words."

"My life has been enriched for having known and shared the friendship of such an absorbing, stimulating and, at times, compellingly awkward person. After thirty-two years, even I cannot quite figure him out. I no longer wish to. It is an association that has nothing to do with Earl Grey tea, buttered crumpets or epigrams, but one founded upon a shared folk memory of a countercultural England that produced eccentricity, subversive genius and, in its finest moments, footwear radicalism. It occurs to me only now that, following that telephone call so many autumns and hemline lengths ago, I might have been his very first fan."

After reading the sample I decided I really like it. Guess which chapter I'm peeping at now...

kSyhiQm.jpg

I am still curious and interested in seeing England is Mine.
And I do appreciate the Julie Hamill 15 minutes interview with Mr. Gill.
I will view it as an interesting film on it's OWN merits as such.
But it really is an omission all this very relevant observations from James Maker are not in any way represented. If only some, it would be so more insightful.
James Maker has a great style of writing and a keen observing mind and is, just like Moz, funny!
I also like you can feel his love and appreciation for Moz and vice verca as they were friends.
There is some kind of gentle respect for eachother. Not the tell all, but to me revealing and graceful.
I like that a lot.

Always thought Morrissey's diaphanous shirt look in November... came from James' getup at 0:39 in the trailer (with the gun).

But it really is an omission all this very relevant observations from James Maker are not in any way represented. If only some, it would be so more insightful.
James Maker has a great style of writing and a keen observing mind and is, just like Moz, funny!
I also like you can feel his love and appreciation for Moz and vice verca as they were friends.
There is some kind of gentle respect for eachother. Not the tell all, but to me revealing and graceful.
I like that a lot.

Wish I could LOVE this post but due to the options, I could only like it.

I like that a lot.

I liked the way he writes as well. My guess is that while it would have been more accurate to include James it might have muddled the story and point the movie is trying to get across. I think he was to similar to both linder and Duffy in there relation to morrissey and the movie makers chose those characters instead of having there roles compete with a James character for screen time. Duffy actually played in a band with morrissey and linder is much more know as his artistic friend

"Morrissey is an underrated, good plain cook." Maker, James. AutoFellatio: A Memoir

:) Well, he is perfect.

Isn't this a bit of a backhanded compliment, basically saying that JM likes his cooking, but most people who taste it don't?

Probably. But to someone who doesn't believe in eating meat, a compliment nonetheless...or it should be...I would think...

Being a "bad cook", not cooking meat but alternatives, to a vegetarian might be a "compliment".

And I'm sure M and JM do their fair share of teasing back and forth...

Isn't this a bit of a backhanded compliment, basically saying that JM likes his cooking, but most people who taste it don't?

He adds: "... a pragmatic householder who enjoys simple pleasures."

I'm enjoying the book. It's interesting and funny.

Back
Top Bottom