James Maker makes statement re: "England is Mine"

Via James Maker's FB:
(Text included as this type of post tends to vanish eventually).

Statement: 'ENGLAND IS MINE' (film)

According to the trailer of 'England Is Mine', Morrissey was an autistic, retiring creature with both curly hair and a natural crimp, who had to be physically pushed into becoming a singer by a well-meaning friend (one who did not actually communicate with Morrissey throughout The Smiths' success). Worse, they have put him in a green duffle coat and given him not one line of the Morrissyean wit we have all come to know. It is not a biopic, but historical fiction. A strange move, considering that those formative years have been so abundantly well-documented.

I knew him then, and I knew the house at 384 Kings Road. Morrissey’s mother should sue the filmmakers on their misrepresentation of her curtaining, alone. But the fact is, this is not Morrissey. The premise that if Morrissey could be a singer, then anybody could, is disingenuous, and rather insulting to his original talent as an artist.

At the time, and previous to the formation of The Smiths, Morrissey had very few close friends. This is documented in Morrissey’s memoir, ‘Autobiography’, and my memoir, ‘AutoFellatio’. I do not appear in the film, and characters who did not exist in real life are invented by the film-makers.

I am relieved not to be included, because if they can portray the protagonist as a person with crimped hair who relies upon guiding hands on shoulders, to thrust him through life’s revolving doors, then I am merely someone who, miraculously, managed to venture further than the 'NO BALL GAMES' sign posted adjacent to my bedroom window.

James Maker

Ouch!
Regards,
FWD.

As was predicted. No money being made by the subject, and the slaggings begin.

One more thing - that 'Morrissyean wit' is a thing of the past. Now we get hailing of Nigel Farage as a liberal educator, and singling out of Sadiq Khan 'cos he talks funny, innit. It's all in the past - the good times, that is.

Last edited:

One more thing - that 'Morrissyean wit' is a thing of the past. Now we get hailing of Nigel Farage as a liberal educator, and singling out of Sadiq Khan 'cos he talks funny, innit. It's all in the past - the good times, that is.

James is his own person and doesn't speak for M, you f***ing dumbshit moron. When will you die?

clearly he hasn't seen the film ... interesting time to plug the re-release of his book though

James sounds like all the locals I met over the years who described Morrissey in a way far from what his fans describe him as. I guess if you have actually known someone you become touchy to how that someone is portrayed by others.

Making a film about Morrissey is like opening a can of worms and no other fans in the world have such strong opinions on him.

The filmmakers didnt have the rights to use neither the music nor Morrissey's words for the film which in part would explain the absence of 'Morrissey's wit'

Hmmmm. So James doesn't like the trailer. Not sure I do either. But the film was always going to be divisive. Personally I don't see the need for this film. They are bound to get more wrong than they get right. That said, I'm sure some people will love it. I'll delay judgment until I see it (probably on tv when it finally arrives). I don't think its fair to judge a film on its trailer.
I hate to even consider this, but could there be sour grapes from James because he isn't featured in the trailer/film?

Seems a little bent out of shape for a lot of little pointless concerns. Curtains and hair. We've all seen the Marc Bolan long hair pics where it looks crinkly or wavey. If you wanna see pics of morrissey in a duffle coat just google morrissey is a duffle coat cause they exist. I also find it hard to find fault with a writer of an indie film for not being as witty as morrissey was/is (at least what James saw from the trailer alone). He's gonna be hard to compete with. I don't know what he sees in the trailer but I didn't see anything that said he was an average anybody who got pushed into being a singer. The trailer makes him out to be a fairly unique odd character and we've plenty of morrissey interviews where he describes himself as a reclusive person with few friends at odds with everyone around him. The biggest flaw I do admit is that James isn't represented in the film but I can't agree with much else he says about the trailer. He seems like he's being a bit of a hater

James is his own person and doesn't speak for M, you f***ing dumbshit moron. When will you die?
Steady on there. There is enough hate in the world already. Skinny is entitled to his opinion.
I'd say the filmmakers would love for Moz to release a statement saying either he loves or hates it. The last thing they'd want is no reaction.

Hmmmm. So James doesn't like the trailer. Not sure I do either. But the film was always going to be divisive. Personally I don't see the need for this film. They are bound to get more wrong than they get right. That said, I'm sure some people will love it. I'll delay judgment until I see it (probably on tv when it finally arrives). I don't think its fair to judge a film on its trailer.
I hate to even consider this, but could there be sour grapes from James because he isn't featured in the trailer/film?

Well put. I've also seen a couple of reviews talk about three strong female characters so including James Maker wouldn't really help that. Also, its not a documentary, they have artistic license.

I'd rather have an historical fiction than a wikipedia film.

But then I could say I'd rather had a "dedicated" movie then something that one might call fictitious history.
Mind you, I'm not saying that cause I haven't seen it yet and despite all, I liked the trailer and it still can be a good movie.

The filmmakers didnt have the rights to use neither the music nor Morrissey's words for the film which in part would explain the absence of 'Morrissey's wit'

Yeah, who needs that, he was just some bloke from Manc like their were thousands of them.:rolleyes:

Reckon this is bit tossey inn nn it. Why hasn't Uncle Steve stopped this? Reckon out of sight out of mind. Reckon it's just not worth it unless it gets shown somehow at the Malibu Playhouse as some indie foreign film, then the shiteee is going to hit the fan.

Reckon this is bit tossey inn nn it. Why hasn't Uncle Steve stopped this? Reckon out of sight out of mind. Reckon it's just not worth it unless it gets shown somehow at the Malibu Playhouse as some indie foreign film, then the shiteee is going to hit the fan.

Maybe because as Acton said:

"I'd say the filmmakers would love for Moz to release a statement saying either he loves or hates it. The last thing they'd want is no reaction.[/QUOTE]

With no reaction at all he just demonstrates his disinterest and the non-importance of it, to him.
He has got other creative processes to deal with that are far mor important right now! Get it? :D

Via James Maker's FB:
(Text included as this type of post tends to vanish eventually).

Statement: 'ENGLAND IS MINE' (film)

According to the trailer of 'England Is Mine', Morrissey was an autistic, retiring creature with both curly hair and a natural crimp, who had to be physically pushed into becoming a singer by a well-meaning friend (one who did not actually communicate with Morrissey throughout The Smiths' success). Worse, they have put him in a green duffle coat and given him not one line of the Morrissyean wit we have all come to know. It is not a biopic, but historical fiction. A strange move, considering that those formative years have been so abundantly well-documented.

I knew him then, and I knew the house at 384 Kings Road. Morrissey’s mother should sue the filmmakers on their misrepresentation of her curtaining, alone. But the fact is, this is not Morrissey. The premise that if Morrissey could be a singer, then anybody could, is disingenuous, and rather insulting to his original talent as an artist.

At the time, and previous to the formation of The Smiths, Morrissey had very few close friends. This is documented in Morrissey’s memoir, ‘Autobiography’, and my memoir, ‘AutoFellatio’. I do not appear in the film, and characters who did not exist in real life are invented by the film-makers.

I am relieved not to be included, because if they can portray the protagonist as a person with crimped hair who relies upon guiding hands on shoulders, to thrust him through life’s revolving doors, then I am merely someone who, miraculously, managed to venture further than the 'NO BALL GAMES' sign posted adjacent to my bedroom window.

James Maker

Ouch!
Regards,
FWD.

YES !!!

YES!!!!

and...

YES.

:cool:

would anyone want a film made about their life,i certainly wouldn't.too many skeletons in my big cupboard.

200w.gif

Well put. I've also seen a couple of reviews talk about three strong female characters so including James Maker wouldn't really help that. Also, its not a documentary, they have artistic license.

if what they do is 'artistic' then I don't mind what they do with that license.

But I see nothing to foretell of an artistic endeavor made by seeing that trailer or in a reading of the reviews so far.

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom