James Maker Interview In Morrissey Book

Born_That_Way

Hello everyone,

I remember glancing through a Morrissey book in some wonderfully tatty Notting Hill Gate bookstore and towards the end of the book there was an interview with James Maker.
I can't remember the name of the book but if you own it I'm sure you will know the book.
I was wondering if somebody could upload the transcript for the interview or possibly scan the pages?

Regards.

Hello everyone,

I remember glancing through a Morrissey book in some wonderfully tatty Notting Hill Gate bookstore and towards the end of the book there was an interview with James Maker.
I can't remember the name of the book but if you own it I'm sure you will know the book.
I was wondering if somebody could upload the transcript for the interview or possibly scan the pages?

Regards.

The book is called "Morrissey" by Pat Reid. Yes, there is a nice interview at the end in which James speaks highly of Moz. I'll try to scan it.:)

JamesOne.jpg

James2.jpg

James3.jpg

James4.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if he knows how to make bread pudding? Yum.

I wonder why he & Maker aren't so close anymore? I've never heard anything about a rift.

Also, didn't James O'Brien say in The Importance... that Moz can't cook anything apart from toast? And then Maker says he is a good "plain English cook". O'Brien came across as a complete tosser to me in the documentary, but some of the contradictions are interesting.

I'm warming to this James Maker guy, and yes it is a shame he and Moz are no longer friends they have so much in common and that.

This book was written years ago wasn't it? From all accounts James and Morrissey have become friends again since that time.

This book was written years ago wasn't it? From all accounts James and Morrissey have become friends again since that time.

Yes, James Maker appeared Meltdown festival and released a single from Attack in 2004.

What a remarkable sentence: "I spent my early twenties feeling as if stranded in the departure lounge of a regional airport - quiet desperation interspersed with dozing." Outstanding! He'll probably make a fine writer.

As a side note: when James recounted the tale of his first sexual experience in Dallas, did anyone but me think of Morrissey supposedly visiting Texas as a young man? Last year on these forums someone had a letter allegedly written by Morrissey whilst visiting Texas. I think the consensus here was that it was fake, seeing as Moz was unemployed at the time & couldn't have afforded a trip to the U.S., at least where he didn't have family to stay with.

I recall reading this as well. He loved the movie "The Last Pictue Show" so, it make sense. James Dean also filmed "Giant" in Dallas, so this may have been of interest to him.

My theory that these visits to the US in the 70s may have had something to do with research with these books he was writing. As to how he got the money, he may have raised some of it from temp jobs but, I've read that he does have relatives in the US so, that may have paid his way. Not sure what part of the country they may have resided.

I suspected New Jersey, but that's northeast. :p

Dunno if you guys can help me - i am staying in germany at the mo and having finished Morrissey by Johnny Rogan I am on the look out for more Morrissey books to feed my somewhat unhealthy obsession! I have found a few online such as Morrissey (Outlines), Morrissey in Conversation - not sure which site is best and not sure which one to go for - any suggestions - i want one that is a good read that will also entertain my addiction!!

Dunno if you guys can help me - i am staying in germany at the mo and having finished Morrissey by Johnny Rogan I am on the look out for more Morrissey books to feed my somewhat unhealthy obsession! I have found a few online such as Morrissey (Outlines), Morrissey in Conversation - not sure which site is best and not sure which one to go for - any suggestions - i want one that is a good read that will also entertain my addiction!!

The most informative reads are:

- "Morrissey & Marr: The Severed Alliance" by J. Rogan
- "Songs That Saved Your Life" by S. Goddard
- "The Smiths: A Visual Documentary" by J. Rogan

My personal favourites:

- "Peepholism: Into The Art Of Morrissey" by Jo Slee
- "Panic On The Streets: The Smiths Location Guide" by Phill Gatenby
- "Morrissey in Conversation" by P. Woods

Avoid David Bret's books on Moz!

Enjoy!

Love
-crsp-

interesting read.thanks

.I have watched the complete interview with the cleavage sisters (on youtube there is"only" the tiny part where moz got interviewed at a concert of james maker..94ish
the interview with james got cut out..the way james talked reminds me of moz:
these quizzical "hmmmm"..:D
somewhere I have read a short print interview -long one about the smiths-history
where james made some statements which does sound like moz in interviews..literate, smart..must look for that..cant remember where I saw it..
you really wonder who influenced whom?
attachment:
the many faces of james maker..the very left is from 1976 ....havent seent it before
this is around the time when james met morrissey

I have look him up at wikipedia and someone deleted the james maker entry..I wonder why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Maker
James Maker
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This page has been deleted. The deletion log for the page is provided below for reference.
* 06:15, 20 April 2008 Jmlk17 (Talk | contribs) deleted "James Maker" ‎ (A7 (bio): Real person; doesn't indicate importance/significance)

interesting read.thanks

.I have watched the complete interview with the cleavage sisters (on youtube there is"only" the tiny part where moz got interviewed at a concert of james maker..94ish

Is that on youtube? Could you post a link? Thank you :guitar:

Tags
james maker pat reid
Back
Top Bottom