James Dean Is Not Dead enquiry

Coiffeur_En_Flame

How much have you paid/would you be prepared to pay for an '83 Babylon reissue of James Dean Is Not Dead in near mint condition? It's just I had the chance to buy a copy today, and I'd like to know whether or not I've passed up on a good opportunity...

Coiff.

Re: James Dean Is Not Dead enquiry...

I personally wouldn't spend more than £10 on it tbh.

love

Grim

I personally wouldn't spend more than £10 on it tbh.

love

Grim

That's the price I offered, but the guy wanted to see if he could get more on Amazon Marketplace (where it had already been for quite a long time at £30). He's gonna get back to me if he doesn't find an internet buyer, so fingers crossed.

Coiff.

That's the price I offered, but the guy wanted to see if he could get more on Amazon Marketplace (where it had already been for quite a long time at £30). He's gonna get back to me if he doesn't find an internet buyer, so fingers crossed.

Coiff.

good luck with it Coiff!

love

Grim

Well, I didnt have this one, but looking seriously for it.
I saw prices about 30 Pounds to 250 € but never any price near 10 Pounds, regardless of the version.

So, if anyone offer a copy for about 10Pound, I will catch them ALL!

James Dean Is Not Dead

Hi.

I managed to track one of these down recently. It's not yet been delivered but i'm really excited. I've read some of the text from a website, but it'll be nice to get the real thing. I'm not looking to sell, but it'd be nice to know what it was worth and any other information people might have. The owner tells me it was published in 1988 but i believe it might be 1983. It's got me wondering if it's a genuine copy, perhaps it's just an oversight on his part, i'm not sure. I've seen them retail for between £50 & £90, but that might be people trying to exploit fans as opposed to a true value. Do people know if there was only one print run, how many were done (i've read both 500 & 5000!), and generally any other information?

x.

Re: James Dean Is Not Dead

After Morrissey became famous the publisher reprinted the book (don't know actual number of the copies).
Possibly the first edition is slightly expensive?

If you get it for a tenner, I'd be impressed, although the price varies an awful lot. I think I paid about twenty for one of the limited edition ones from 1997 but then it appears never to have been even opened so I was happy to pay that much. There are 3 different versions, the first from 1983 is easy to spot as it doesn't have Morrissey's name on the front cover, this appears on the 1984 re-issue after the Smiths became famous. The third version is as I've already said limited to 1,000 copies, numbered and come with a certificate.

If you get it for a tenner, I'd be impressed, although the price varies an awful lot. I think I paid about twenty for one of the limited edition ones from 1997 but then it appears never to have been even opened so I was happy to pay that much. There are 3 different versions, the first from 1983 is easy to spot as it doesn't have Morrissey's name on the front cover, this appears on the 1984 re-issue after the Smiths became famous. The third version is as I've already said limited to 1,000 copies, numbered and come with a certificate.

i think there must be a fourth copy , i got mine in the early 90s and it doesnt come with a certificate , i dont think its as old as 84 , must be reprinted

I have the book which I bought in the early 80's for, get this, $3.50! It's the Babylon pub too. Unfortunately I don't think I'd ever part ways with it. I'd love his book on the Dolls, though.:guitar:

Re: James Dean Is Not Dead

Hi.

I managed to track one of these down recently. It's not yet been delivered but i'm really excited. I've read some of the text from a website, but it'll be nice to get the real thing. I'm not looking to sell, but it'd be nice to know what it was worth and any other information people might have. The owner tells me it was published in 1988 but i believe it might be 1983. It's got me wondering if it's a genuine copy, perhaps it's just an oversight on his part, i'm not sure. I've seen them retail for between £50 & £90, but that might be people trying to exploit fans as opposed to a true value. Do people know if there was only one print run, how many were done (i've read both 500 & 5000!), and generally any other information?

x.

I paid £50 for a near mint original 1st edition a couple of years back which i still think was a good deal. I've seen reissues with higher price tags but I think that's people taking the piss or pretending it's a 1st ed to con those not in the know.

I paid £15. It did cross my mind that Morrissey might not have only used his surname seeing as it was pre-Smiths. I'm still quite happy with the price, it'll be nice to read a physical copy and even if it's not one of the original run i still think it'll be worth more than i paid and should grow in value. If not then i should be able to pass it onto another fan for roundabout what i paid. Thanks for your replies, they've been a real help.

While we're on the subject, are there any other pre-Smiths momentos i should be keeping an eye out for. I read this was Morrissey's second book, does the NYD book crop up anywhere from time to time, and what could people tell me of that? Also, are there any recordings i could be having a rummage for, perhaps bootlegs of Morrissey pre-Smiths?

x.

I paid £15. It did cross my mind that Morrissey might not have only used his surname seeing as it was pre-Smiths. I'm still quite happy with the price, it'll be nice to read a physical copy and even if it's not one of the original run i still think it'll be worth more than i paid and should grow in value. If not then i should be able to pass it onto another fan for roundabout what i paid. Thanks for your replies, they've been a real help.

While we're on the subject, are there any other pre-Smiths momentos i should be keeping an eye out for. I read this was Morrissey's second book, does the NYD book crop up anywhere from time to time, and what could people tell me of that? Also, are there any recordings i could be having a rummage for, perhaps bootlegs of Morrissey pre-Smiths?

x.

you need to put the passions website in your favourites, if you can't find the answer there then it'll be a bloody good question, mate!

here's a link to what you ask for now though
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/biblio-mor.htm

If you find any Moz bootleg recordings with The Nosebleeds or Slaughter & the Dogs, I'll be very pleased if you let us know, good luck.

love

Grim

Morrissey doesn't like Babylon Books. Time for a re-post of this, from a bizarrely kept-alive website...

letter.jpeg

Peter

James may not be dead but the Geocities link certainly is. Does some kind soul here have a copy? I thank you sincerely.

James may not be dead but the Geocities link certainly is. Does some kind soul here have a copy? I thank you sincerely.

I have one. :o

Back
Top Bottom