James Brown Loop in I'm Not Sorry?

G

goinghome

Dave Couse, front-man with acclaimed now-dormant Irish band, A House, was standing in for Paul McCloone on the radio the other evening, when, after playing Sinead O' Connor's track, I am Stretched on your Grave, he said that the rhythm on that version was something called The Funky Drummer, adapted from a James Brown beat that crops up as a standard every so often in musicians' repertoires -

To me, it sounds like what runs through I'm Not Sorry? - [youtube]VWPJrASPz8E&feature=related[/youtube]

(Couse has his own Sunday-night programme, The Lighthouse, whose signature tune is There Is A Light...)

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's not the same beat. You'll note that in "I'm Not Sorry" the off beats are hit with the bass drum, not the snare, as in the funky drummer.

A closer version can be found in "Interesting Drug" and 90% of the Stone Roses songs ever written.

No, it's not the same beat. You'll note that in "I'm Not Sorry" the off beats are hit with the bass drum, not the snare, as in the funky drummer.

A closer version can be found in "Interesting Drug" and 90% of the Stone Roses songs ever written.

Thanks, Old Mathew, spoken like someone who knows their bass from their snare! I still hear a similarity, even if the drum componants are different, and slowed-down as it is. An informal Smiths mix by a band from The Philipines also starts on a similar beat - [youtube]_RD2lt4OUos&feature=related[/youtube]

The drummer in James Brown's band who originally came up with it, Clyde Stubblefield, was questioned about it - [youtube]Z3xSXc1vy5I&feature=related[/youtube]
The Wikipedia entry on it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funky_Drummer - includes a link to a list of songs that sample it- http://www.the-breaks.com/search.php?term=Funky+Drummer&type=4

And here is James Brown's iconic beat. -

Last edited by a moderator:

Should be noted that this drum beat had been sampled for years on Hip Hop records before the Roses got anywhere near it. I think its the most sampled drum beat ever

Back
Top Bottom