Jacqueline Morrissey statement re: England Is Mine (via SER) - "OFFENSIVE misrepresentation"

Sam Esty Rayner Photography / Facebook:

"Mark Gill's England is Mine is a lie.

This is not our family or how we lived.

It is an OFFENSIVE misrepresentation.

He has made a shambles of a glorious opportunity."

-Jacqueline Morrissey
September 5, 2017.

40675_jaqueline_morrissey_statement.png

Closing the stable door...
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
The filmmakers have stated that they reached out to Morrissey more than once in preparation for the film and received no answer. Is it too much to say that Morrissey is partly to blame for inaccuracies or wrong portrayals in the movie? Although knowing him, I think it would have been hard for the filmmakers to retain creative control along with having input from M. I can either imagine a list of demands about how everything in the film should be done, or (what happened in reality) no response or input from M. It is hard to think of him just giving some suggestions or clarifications.

" The filmmakers have stated that they reached out to Morrissey more than once in preparation for the film and received no answer. "

How do you know that is true? Moz said he wasn't contacted.
I tend to believe Moz more then the movie-makers, in this case, as they also stated or suggested they wanted to make an "independent" movie with the goal more on identifying with any person that could be famous. It neglects the reason why HE did.
Moz wasn't contacted, his sis neither, nor James Maker. Apparently.
The fact his sister speaks out, which she never does, speaks volumes.

If the filmmakers are not able to retain creative control along with having input from M they are not good enough for their task.
Moz to big to handle? He would have been very pleased and honoured with the right approach by the right people.

Morrissey said that he used to pretend to sleepwalk and go into her room and tear down her posters in the middle of the night! Typical brother/sister relationship. From what I've heard and read through the years, I believe they have always had a tight relationship. I can see how a misrepresentation would be very upsetting to her.

There is no direct quote from Moz about sleepwalking. It was mentioned in The Severed Alliance, but I can't remember the source for that story.

There is no direct quote from Moz about sleepwalking. It was mentioned in The Severed Alliance, but I can't remember the source for that story.
Hmmm, I didn't read The Severed Alliance, actually, so I didn't see it there. Seems I read it in a magazine back in the 90s.

Hmmm, I didn't read The Severed Alliance, actually, so I didn't see it there. Seems I read it in a magazine back in the 90s.
Well, I guess it could have been an excerpt from The Severed Alliance. It was a long time ago.

So why doesn't Moz weigh in? Leave it to the older sister to fight his battle? Seems to come from nowhere but to each their own.

So why doesn't Moz weigh in? Leave it to the older sister to fight his battle? Seems to come from nowhere but to each their own.

I am almost 100% sure he wrote that facebook post. The movie is being shown in LA and out on dvd.

Did anyone see it? What wouldn't he like about it?

Why the delay on this comment? Because it's impossible to tell if the film is going to be successful directly after release. If this film had bombed, we would have heard nothing. But it's successful, and the family dynasty don't like it. As I said a few months back - if he's not making any money out of something to do with him, then the shit's gonna hit the fan. And it has. It's all about the money, and it always has been.

Now, let's see who doesn't like this 100% true cold, hard statement of fact. Ooh, one already.

Last edited:
biopics very seldom work,the person the film is about usually isn't happy with the final product as they had no hand at the writing stage and so the life story is not the life story that actually happened.on the plus side every review carries a photo of Morrissey and a description of his life which can create new fans who will buy into his music.

Sorry for the off topic - I may be probably out of the loop (I live under a rock, after all), but what happened to True to You? Is SER now the official spokeperson for Morrissey and his family?

I finally saw the film last night. I thought it was well made and acted. As for accuracy, who can tell, the writers will have had plenty of reference material. At the end of it all they had to give their take on things, and as someone stated earlier - "It's a work of fiction." If Morrissey was so concerned, he could have always contributed in some way. But that would mean taking part, wouldn't it?

Bots believing morrissey over the film makers re trying to contact him.

Morrissey is a f***ing prick. Photo of Spam grinning like a c*** in an empty cinema is brilliant.

Skinny has been right for a long time. Morrissey, the cheese guzzler, is only interested in MONEY. And pretending to have cancer / relevance.

Why the delay on this comment? Because it's impossible to tell if the film is going to be successful directly after release. If this film had bombed, we would have heard nothing. But it's successful, and the family dynasty don't like it. As I said a few months back - if he's not making any money out of something to do with him, then the shit's gonna hit the fan. And it has. It's all about the money, and it always has been.

Now, let's see who doesn't like this 100% true cold, hard statement of fact. Ooh, one already.

' let's see who doesn't like this 100% true cold, hard statement of fact.'

'100% true cold' ?

yes, it could be, very cold.

'hard' ?

well, I'm not gonna even go there.

'statement of fact.' ?

I don't know what your definition of that is, but I believe your post
is closer to a 'statement of opinion'.

Photo of Spam grinning like a c*** in an empty cinema is brilliant.

Skinny has been right for a long time.

'Photo of Spam grinning like a c*** in an empty cinema is brilliant.'

But Uncleskinny says the film is a success, but yet the photo shows
from that angle a 'empty cinema'.

the plot thickens.

Can't say that statement is a surprise.

Sure the film makers said they tried to get in contact with Morrissey , but no joy. ( Even if they had he wouldn't have co-opertated)
I've seen it and as a biopic I thought it was good and gave a decent overview of what his pre - Smiths life was like , ( I'm basing my opinion here on numerous Moz interviews etc)
Such a production is never going to be 100% factually correct and the main thing that bugged me was his friendship with the girl from the tax office , and I'm assuming some creative licence was used for this.
The producers had access to Anji's diary and also Billy Duffy , both of who were around Moz then.

Unfortunatley the fact is it doesn't represent what Moz would like us to see.
Compare with
1 The Severed alliance - written off by Moz as rubbish but used by him in the 1996 Court Case to back up his evidence ( and when pressed in Court confirming details in there to be correct). The 20th anniversary edition makes reference to the fact he moaned to Joyce about the reference to comics in the original book - obviously not fitting with his leagacy.
2 The Nick Kent Face article in 1985 - Moz insisting on seeing the article before it went to press because Kent had allegedly spoken to a "sworn enemey" - again a nonsense.

My firm belief is that Moz didn't honestly expect himself to be as successful as he was and he "gave away" too much about his early life in interviews etc , not realising the level of fandom he would receive. He can't back track on that now and sees it as a loss of control.

Wouldn't surprise me if there's a lyric about this film on the new album which I'm praying to God is a decent.

PS And you can bet your bottom dollar he's seen it but won't directly comment himself.

It was a statement from his sister and the reason why she and he feel offended has to do with the complete made up bullshit about his family. The rest he doesn't fuccking care about, cause he already knew it was gonna be apeshit. They didn't contact him. Nor her.
Is that so hard to understand? :popcorn:

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom