J Marr in new Uncut - disingenuous comments about Morrissey and Joyce Michael?

Maurice E

There's a 2 or 3 page feature on J Marr in the new Uncut where he answers questions from various musical types.
One is from Joyce Michael (about Marr's veganism) where Marr retorts something like "wow, I've not heard from him for ages" as if it's a much cherished, long-lost friend rather than the devious schemer who stole £1 million off him in the courts (in Marr's eyes).
Then a fella from Norway asks what Marr makes of S Morrissey's recent 'comments in the press'. Marr says he didn't know that Morrissey still did interviews. What a load of ducking colloaks! Marr is glued to the world wide web. He's absolutely bound to have heard about the Norway comments although, perhaps for obvious reasons, he probably doesn't want to get drawn into the whole thing.

Re: J Marr in Uncut Jan 2012

Maurice E, you are entitled to your opinion.

Johnny is good at being diplomatic, that's all.

I'm not sure I can make much sense of this thread without seeing the real article, the comments haven't really been clearly contextualised. I doubt Johnny was serious though. He's probably just realised that bitching about Morrissey is childish and makes him look bitter. He dodged the 'Is Morrissey Racist?' question during the Finsbury Park debacle by saying he was out of the country and didn't read the papers - I don't believe that for a second. As always, Johnny is desperate to avoid taking sides, and compromises his loyalty as a result. Moz hit the nail on the head in 1997 - "Johnny, trying to please everyone and consequently pleasing no-one".

Last edited:

I don't know why but every time I read the title of this thread I hear in my head 'J Marr in new haircut'.

I'm not sure I can make much sense of this thread without seeing the real article, the comments haven't really been clearly contextualised. I doubt Johnny was serious though. He's probably just realised that bitching about Morrissey is childish and makes him look bitter. He dodged the 'Is Morrissey Racist?' question during the Finsbury Park debacle by saying he was out of the country and didn't read the papers - I don't believe that for a second. As always, Johnny is desperate to avoid taking sides, and compromises his loyalty as a result. Moz hit the nail on the head in 1997 - "Johnny, trying to please everyone and consequently pleasing no-one".

Fair point, Amy. The Morrissey-related comment is predictable enough. He also said that he misses Morrissey on a personal level a little but not on a professional level at all, and that they've both moved on, and would rather focus on the here and now. Indeed, Marr has moved on so far that he spends half his concerts these days singing Morrissey's lyrics and Morrissey's vocal melodies!

The response to the Joyce comment is pretty bizarre. Marr just acts astonished that it's been so long since they were in touch as if all that happened was that they hadn't kept in contact much over the years! Apart from all the court case stuff, didn't Marr refuse relatively recently (Manchester vs Cancer) to share a stage with his former drummer, despite Joyce's pleading?

But yeah, it's basically Marr trying to please everyone. Fair enough, really...

Johnny Marr Q&A in new Uncut - features questions from Mike Joyce, Roy Harper...

6tfdpt.jpg

2ro0z1t.jpg

90r80l.jpg

P.

Re: Johnny Marr Q&A in new Uncut - features questions from Mike Joyce, Roy Harper...

Mike Joyce is a wanker. "Hey Johnny, remember when I sued your ass?!"

There's something weird about how Johnny says (and it isn't the first time) "I miss Morrissey as a friend." Why, exactly can they not be friends? He keeps reiterating how they can't play together (because they are both way too into their individual "fascinating" new stuff)...so, OK, but why can't they be friends? Somethings missing there.

I also think he is totally full of shit about not knowing Morrissey did interviews anymore.

Me thinketh the Johnny protesteth too much.

Re: Johnny Marr Q&A in new Uncut - features questions from Mike Joyce, Roy Harper...

There's something weird about how Johnny says (and it isn't the first time) "I miss Morrissey as a friend." Why, exactly can they not be friends? He keeps reiterating how they can't play together (because they are both way too into their individual "fascinating" new stuff)...so, OK, but why can't they be friends? Somethings missing there

Yeah, god knows why they can't be friends....I think Morrissey is STILL bitter about Johnny's departure! I heard someone mention that they email each other. I don't know if that's true or not though!

Yeah, god knows why they can't be friends....I think Morrissey is STILL bitter about Johnny's departure! I heard someone mention that they email each other. I don't know if that's true or not though!

I agreed.
Johnny is starting to look like Vinny Riley... This vegan diet of his doesn't seem healthy. Funny, how people think thin is good...even when the person looks ill.

Something really doesn't seem to fit about the editing of that piece. The Morrissey, Mike, and "beehive" parts have been recycled in their entirety from other interviews - and I know Johnny has a tendency to repeat himself, but I doubt he'd use the exact same words years apart. The way he answers some of the "Star Question"(s) in third person is also a little strange. It's a sad waste that he's still close to Bernard Sumner and yet "can't" be friends with Morrissey, but I had to laugh at the irony of him berating the fashion world for being full of "potheads" :lbf:.

Back
Top Bottom