I've never listened to The National. Any good?

"When I started writing for the songs, I didn't really know how to do it other than just knowing the types of songwriters that I really liked and learning some things from them. You know, Leonard Cohen and Nick Cave and Tom Waits and Morrissey; they were just kind of fearless in ways that made me realise that you can just break any kind of conventions or rules when it comes to song lyrics, and it's usually much more exciting." Matt Berninger.

From
Canberra news - The Grand National:
http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/review_detail.asp?class=music&review_id=110

Not bad, but nothing to write home about. You aren't missing much, but if you must, you can give them a listen online. Try youtube, or you can listen to clips on amazon to give you a taste.

I really like them but I hate to put out a plug their opening act on their tour St. Vincent is way better check her out first. I am not saying this because she is a friend of mine's cousin

They are superb.
I'd go for "Alligator" to listen to first, of the albums, or the last one "Boxer". But all the albums are great.
Also, live they are really good.
Happy Listening, Hugh :)

I've only heard Boxer, but I can safely say it was pretty much the best record of last year. Top 5 at least. Mistaken For Strangers is an outstanding song, and I'm surprised it didn't chart better as it is pretty catchy. So yeah, definitely check them out. I can har the Nick Cave/Tom Waits influence, but not so much Morrissey. Matt Berninger comes from the Michael Stipe school of abstract imagery more than Morrissey's more direct lyrics.

Coiff.

Back
Top Bottom