I've Changed My Plea to Guilty

Sidnettle

Death to Racists
Can anyone tell me which session the recorded version of I've Changed my Plea to Guilty comes from? The December 1990 one at Hook End Manor or the Early 1991 one at Westside Studios?

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Last edited:
According to Simon Goddard, PFTLT was the only thing from the December sessions to get used.

From the Passions Just Like Mine website:

"This song must have been written at some point in 1990. It was likely (to be confirmed) recorded during the "Sing Your Life" single b-sides session in the first few months of 1991 at Westside Studios in Hammersmith (which actually ended up supplying none of the material featured on the latter single). This was Morrissey's last collaboration with producers Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley, and musicians Mark Nevin (guitar), Mark "Bedders" Bedford (bass) and Andrew Paresi (drums). Alain Whyte, Boz Boorer, Gary Day and Spencer Cobrin are credited on the single as having played on this song, but they did not.

There is a slight chance that the song may have been recorded at bit earlier, in December 1990 at Hook End Manor with producers Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley alongside other material that was meant to appear on a planned rockabilly mini-album. Those plans were shelved, some of the material recorded during this session was mixed and released on subsequent singles, while some wasn't. Musicians for this session were Boz Boorer (guitar), Mark Nevin (guitar), Jonny Bridgwood (double-bass) and Andrew Paresi (drums)."

Last edited:
According to Simon Goddard, PFTLT was the only thing from the December sessions to get used.

So Born to Hang could be from that session, while That's Entertainment, The Loop, Skin Storm, I've Changed My Plea and My Love Life must all have been recorded in Hammersmith.

Doesn't match with the above though.

Of That's Entertainment PJLM says:

"This Jam cover was recorded at Hook End Manor with producers Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley, but the time of recording and personnel involved are not clear. Biographer Simon Goddard states that the song was recorded at the end of the "Kill Uncle" album sessions which took place in the autumn of 1990. However the song credits seem to point to the post "Kill Uncle" recording session in December 1990 where Morrissey recorded material for a planned but shelved rockabilly mini-album. In both scenarios Mark Nevin played guitar, Andrew Paresi drums and Steve Heart organ, but Boz Boorer is credited as second guitar (he entered the picture between the two sessions) and Jonny Bridgwood is credited for bass instead of Mark 'Bedders' Bedford who had that job on the "Kill Uncle" sessions. The song also features guests Cathal Smyth on backing vocals and Kate St.John on cor anglais."

Last edited:
So Born to Hang could be from that session, while That's Entertainment, The Loop, Skin Storm, I've Changed My Plea and My Love Life must all have been recorded in Hammersmith.

Doesn't match with the above though.

Of That's Entertainment PJLM says:

"This Jam cover was recorded at Hook End Manor with producers Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley, but the time of recording and personnel involved are not clear. Biographer Simon Goddard states that the song was recorded at the end of the "Kill Uncle" album sessions which took place in the autumn of 1990. However the song credits seem to point to the post "Kill Uncle" recording session in December 1990 where Morrissey recorded material for a planned but shelved rockabilly mini-album. In both scenarios Mark Nevin played guitar, Andrew Paresi drums and Steve Heart organ, but Boz Boorer is credited as second guitar (he entered the picture between the two sessions) and Jonny Bridgwood is credited for bass instead of Mark 'Bedders' Bedford who had that job on the "Kill Uncle" sessions. The song also features guests Cathal Smyth on backing vocals and Kate St.John on cor anglais."

The thing about the Sing Your Life credits makes sense, and would also apply to The Loop, which is credited in the same way. Morrissey's record sleeves aren't always reliable for credits around this period, but the way they are done on Sing Your Life is quite detailed, so I think they are more likely to be trustworthy than not. Goddard is probably just wrong here. Skin Storm can possibly be added to this, because Peter Thomas is credited as engineer (same as for Pregnant, The Loop and That's Entertainment), whereas Danton Supple is the engineer credited on MLL and ICMPTG and Simon Metcalf was the engineer for Kill Uncle

I've Changed My Plea and My Love Life were definitely recorded in Hammersmith, with the Kill Uncle lineup.

The thing about the Sing Your Life credits makes sense, and would also apply to The Loop, which is credited in the same way. Morrissey's record sleeves aren't always reliable for credits around this period, but the way they are done on Sing Your Life is quite detailed, so I think they are more likely to be trustworthy than not. Goddard is probably just wrong here. Skin Storm can possibly be added to this, because Peter Thomas is credited as engineer (same as for Pregnant, The Loop and That's Entertainment), whereas Danton Supple is the engineer credited on MLL and ICMPTG and Simon Metcalf was the engineer for Kill Uncle

I've Changed My Plea and My Love Life were definitely recorded in Hammersmith, with the Kill Uncle lineup.

Yeah, the engineer thing makes perfect sense. Although annoyingly PJLM says this of Skin Storm:

"This Bradford cover was recorded during the "Sing Your Life" single b-sides session in the first few months of 1991 at Westside Studios in Hammersmith (which actually ended up supplying none of the material featured on the latter single). This was Morrissey's last collaboration with producers Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley, and musicians Mark Nevin (guitar), Mark "Bedders" Bedford (bass) and Andrew Paresi (drums). Alain Whyte, Boz Boorer, Gary Day and Spencer Cobrin are credited on the single as having played on this song, but they did not."

Can not contribute to I´ve changed my plea and My love life, but Pregnant must have been recorded alongside The Loop and That´s Entertainment. In fact it was the originally planned b-side for Sing your life before That´s Entertainment took it´s place in a last minute decision.

Where did you get the info on the engineers by the way?

I have most of his 12" singles, although due to lack of funds I never bought Sing Your Life or Pregnant for the Last Time (which I managed to persuade my father to buy me on cassingle, although he did so most begrudgingly). I have Our Frank and My Love Life but in my Mum's garage; I guess the info on the label is correct, while that on the sleeve is not?

Back
Top Bottom