It's so hot I'm melting

My mind immediately goes to Guar gum. I've never really had to cook for dietary consideration.

OH! Or avocado! It sounds weird, but it's pretty neutral in ice cream.
Guar gum gives me the same problem as xanathan gum. Avocado??! That's interesting. Not sure how I'd get round the colour issue (can't quite see it working with raspberries!) but maybe a nut-flavoured one - eg toasted hazelnut??

Interesting. Such as? Has to be non-starchy/carby though. (I know, I know. Awkward or what?)

Adding a small amount of alcohol may help prevent ice crystals from forming.

Also, how fast you can get it to freeze determines how smooth your home made ice cream will be. The longer it takes the more and larger the ice crystals will be.

Guar gum gives me the same problem as xanathan gum. Avocado??! That's interesting. Not sure how I'd get round the colour issue (can't quite see it working with raspberries!) but maybe a nut-flavoured one - eg toasted hazelnut??
The color might be iffy. But texturally, it could do the trick. I think you might have to break down and get a machine though, just to ensure that it's in constant movement through the freeze. Mine was only $25.00, which I didn't feel too bad about.

Adding a small amount of alcohol may help prevent ice crystals from forming.

Also, how fast you can get it to freeze determines how smooth your home made ice cream will be. The longer it takes the more and larger the ice crystals will be.
Oh! Interesting. Like vodka, for instance? It actually took quite a long time to fully freeze because I read that I had to keep mashing it up during the process to stop the crystals forming. Is this not the case? It didn't seem to make much difference anyway.

The color might be iffy. But texturally, it could do the trick. I think you might have to break down and get a machine though, just to ensure that it's in constant movement through the freeze. Mine was only $25.00, which I didn't feel too bad about.
I know you're probably right, but I'm tight for space and money and it seems hard to justify. I suppose if we keep having summers like this one though I might end up feeling obliged :)

Oh! Interesting. Like vodka, for instance? It actually took quite a long time to fully freeze because I read that I had to keep mashing it up during the process to stop the crystals forming. Is this not the case? It didn't seem to make much difference anyway.

I guess you can use vodka, too, but I was thinking something like dessert liqueur (for a nicer flavour).

I'm not a physicist but I think that if you can freeze the ice cream very quickly, there is less time for molecules to melt and refreeze, which causes crystal formation.

I guess you can use vodka, too, but I was thinking something like dessert liqueur (for a nicer flavour).

I'm not a physicist but I think that if you can freeze the ice cream very quickly, there is less time for molecules to melt and refreeze, which causes crystal formation.
Interesting. Thanks for that, 12". I am not a physicist either but I my ex is a very scientific person so I might pick his brains on how I can get a quicker freeze. (That's not as creepy as it sounds, we have kids together so we talk all the time.)

Interesting. Thanks for that, 12". I am not a physicist either but I my ex is a very scientific person so I might pick his brains on how I can get a quicker freeze. (That's not as creepy as it sounds, we have kids together so we talk all the time.)

That's reassuring. :lbf:

FWIW I make my ice cream base with coconut milk, sugar, liqueur and a little cornstarch. Works quite well.

I didn't necessarily want the parm to disappear, because cheese can work really well in ice cream. Especially Bleu, oh dear gawd...
I think I'll go lighter and finer with the parm next time, but I still want the presence to be known, just not so heavy.

Cooking has been a real chore lately with the heat. Most days, as lazy as it is, I've been doing takeout, a lot of salads, or cooking dinner first thing in the morning and sticking it in the refrigerator. We've been right around 100 F for what feels like forever, and the last few days the smoke from all of the wildfires has made everything hazy and heavier. The only thing left that's green on my property are my sunflowers, because I water them every day. Even the leaves on the tree have an orange tint to them now.

Oh! But here's a recipe for you to throw into the churn-

2 pints half and half, 3-5 oz of soft bleu cheese (depending on your tastes, I go heavy) 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup ripe black cherries, pitted and halved, a squeeze of lemon + a little zest, and a few twists of white peppercorn from the mill.
Thanks for the recipe. It’s looks great!

Pear and walnut with bleu works really well too, just cube the pears and freeze them hard beforehand so they don't disappear.
Oh! Now that’s a really good idea! I received an ice cream make for my birthday a few years ago so I’m already to go.

Aww, you must be missing the little guy a lot. <3

I never really wanted dogs, mine sort of found me - Big was an abandoned pup and Smelly was a stray that basically showed up at my house, so I took care of them - but I am so glad that I have them now. They are our bundles of joy and I'd be very sad if they weren't around anymore.
that was so good of you to take in strays. and they must think themselves sooooo lucky to have found you. there life could have been very different now if not!

oh my god, that made me think of haagen-dasz white Russian ice cream. so amazing! sorry, I just wanted to get in on this convo. I don't know anything about making ice cream though--but I do know about eating it! :yum:
I’ve got a hand crank job, ancient really, my dad was in the process of restoring it when he died, put it in a box moved it here, been meaning to complete it, boy, ur just the reminder mill today riffie :o

that was so good of you to take in strays. and they must think themselves sooooo lucky to have found you. there life could have been very different now if not!

They'd be dead. Greek strays tend to manage through summer because tourists feed them, but they don't make it through winters.

OMG last week there was a mama cat and her five kittens at the airport in Mykonos - five fluffy tiger striped baby kittens playing right smack in the middle of the departure hall! We thought about taking them home with us. I think they'll be OK as long as tourists give them milk and cookies, but when the island closes down in October they'll be in trouble.

They'd be dead. Greek strays tend to manage through summer because tourists feed them, but they don't make it through winters.

OMG last week there was a mama cat and her five kittens at the airport in Mykonos - five fluffy tiger striped baby kittens playing right smack in the middle of the departure hall! We thought about taking them home with us. I think they'll be OK as long as tourists give them milk and cookies, but when the island closes down in October they'll be in trouble.
aw that's sad. you cant rescue all the strays though, unfortunately :(

That's reassuring. :lbf:

FWIW I make my ice cream base with coconut milk, sugar, liqueur and a little cornstarch. Works quite well.
Interesting that you've got the coconut milk working, 12". The one I'm using is super-thick and creamy so I thought it ought to work. But alas I cannot have the sugar or cornstarch. Guess I'll just have to keep experimenting. Although the heatwave has just ended here so there's a bit less incentive! Funny, now that the heat is gone I'm missing it already. Perverse.

Back
Top Bottom