It's so hot I'm melting

Discussion in 'Off-topic archive (read-only)' started by Tommy Robinson's Quiff, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Peppermint

Peppermint Well-Known Member

Guar gum gives me the same problem as xanathan gum. Avocado??! That's interesting. Not sure how I'd get round the colour issue (can't quite see it working with raspberries!) but maybe a nut-flavoured one - eg toasted hazelnut??

2. 12" on the slack

12" on the slack outrightly laughing

Adding a small amount of alcohol may help prevent ice crystals from forming.

Also, how fast you can get it to freeze determines how smooth your home made ice cream will be. The longer it takes the more and larger the ice crystals will be.

• Like Like x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  3. g23

g23 Always crashing in the same car

The color might be iffy. But texturally, it could do the trick. I think you might have to break down and get a machine though, just to ensure that it's in constant movement through the freeze. Mine was only $25.00, which I didn't feel too bad about.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Peppermint

Oh! Interesting. Like vodka, for instance? It actually took quite a long time to fully freeze because I read that I had to keep mashing it up during the process to stop the crystals forming. Is this not the case? It didn't seem to make much difference anyway.

5. Peppermint

I know you're probably right, but I'm tight for space and money and it seems hard to justify. I suppose if we keep having summers like this one though I might end up feeling obliged :)

6. 12" on the slack

I guess you can use vodka, too, but I was thinking something like dessert liqueur (for a nicer flavour).

I'm not a physicist but I think that if you can freeze the ice cream very quickly, there is less time for molecules to melt and refreeze, which causes crystal formation.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Troll Troll x 1
  7. Peppermint

Interesting. Thanks for that, 12". I am not a physicist either but I my ex is a very scientific person so I might pick his brains on how I can get a quicker freeze. (That's not as creepy as it sounds, we have kids together so we talk all the time.)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. 12" on the slack

That's reassuring. :lbf:

FWIW I make my ice cream base with coconut milk, sugar, liqueur and a little cornstarch. Works quite well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  9. Try Anything Twice

Try Anything Twice Consultant to the World

Thanks for the recipe. It’s looks great!

• Like Like x 1
  10. g23

Pear and walnut with bleu works really well too, just cube the pears and freeze them hard beforehand so they don't disappear.

11. Try Anything Twice

Try Anything Twice Consultant to the World

Oh! Now that’s a really good idea! I received an ice cream make for my birthday a few years ago so I’m already to go.

12. g23

Maybe a little honey barely stirred in right at the end, too.

• Like Like x 2
  13. rifke

rifke queen of the universe

that was so good of you to take in strays. and they must think themselves sooooo lucky to have found you. there life could have been very different now if not!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Oh my god. it's Robby!

Oh my god. it's Robby! spontaneously luminescent

Over 100 again all day today with smoke from fires close by so had to keep the kids in all day again today, fuck this noise :mad:

15. rifke

oh my god, that made me think of haagen-dasz white Russian ice cream. so amazing! sorry, I just wanted to get in on this convo. I don't know anything about making ice cream though--but I do know about eating it! :yum:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Oh my god. it's Robby!

Oh my god. it's Robby! spontaneously luminescent

I’ve got a hand crank job, ancient really, my dad was in the process of restoring it when he died, put it in a box moved it here, been meaning to complete it, boy, ur just the reminder mill today riffie :o

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. rifke

I'm not the one talking about ice cream, it's all of them above!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  18. 12" on the slack

They'd be dead. Greek strays tend to manage through summer because tourists feed them, but they don't make it through winters.

OMG last week there was a mama cat and her five kittens at the airport in Mykonos - five fluffy tiger striped baby kittens playing right smack in the middle of the departure hall! We thought about taking them home with us. I think they'll be OK as long as tourists give them milk and cookies, but when the island closes down in October they'll be in trouble.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. rifke

aw that's sad. you cant rescue all the strays though, unfortunately :(

• Insightful Insightful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Peppermint

Interesting that you've got the coconut milk working, 12". The one I'm using is super-thick and creamy so I thought it ought to work. But alas I cannot have the sugar or cornstarch. Guess I'll just have to keep experimenting. Although the heatwave has just ended here so there's a bit less incentive! Funny, now that the heat is gone I'm missing it already. Perverse.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1