"It's Over" (Roy Orbison cover) posted on Spotify; "California Son" sleeve revealed

Region restricted currently, the "California Son" sleeve is revealed in the song link.

46337_california_son_sleeve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get me wrong, I like it, for me it's like a B+ but coulda been an A+ if the production matched the vocal.

Yeah, I think B+ is fair.

It makes for a promising start though, especially as covering Roy Orbison was always going to be an ambitious undertaking.

í haven't listened to the song yet, principally because í am clearly not worthy of Spotify's crumbs, but also because a pleasure delayed is always a pleasure doubled... :yum:

But in terms of the really important stuff ~ the cover artwork, the Hobeaux Semibold font always gives me a warm and fuzzy.

The original variant was used most famously in 1969 on "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", and lovingly revived for Redford's swansong movie "The Old Man and the Gun" last year. The Byrds and others used it on some sleeves in the 60s. So, it fits well and cute with the whole retro Americana of the project.

The gold & yellow of the two text colours contrast nicely, but pretty poorly with the 'Gay Christ..?' background.

The Michael Muller ten year old head shot is a stark and strong choice, but it would have been nice to see something a little less familiar.

í am sure it will look lovely on a glossy big 12 inch.

But, obviously, now, thanks to this thread, í won't be able to look at it without thinking ~ "BANG! And the dirt is gone..." :squiffy:

"Gay Christ" :lbf:

Don't Interrupt the Sorrow is the one I'm really looking forward to. Although I'm yet to be convinced that the band can match the original's subtle, pulsing jazz.

They can’t, and shouldn’t be expected to. Though It’ll be interesting to hear what they do with it. Maybe a case of Morrissey saving it with his vocal delivery. Good enough.

The clip is lovely, again the voice. Hard to judge the music/production based on this snippet.

i never thought i would see a cover sleeve as bad as world peace but this takes the biscuit.......morrissey quite clearly does not give a shit anymore. cant wait to hear tobias butcher some classic songs..........

what are the ex-gene band members upto......morrissey should pick up the phone

i never thought i would see a cover sleeve as bad as world peace but this takes the biscuit.......morrissey quite clearly does not give a shit anymore.
If you think the cover is shite, wait until you hear the weak-ass version of the track.

"Gay Christ" :lbf:

Definitely has that vibe of all those come-to-jesus books í see in the window of the Kumbaya shops í scurry by. Just a little more...pastel? ;)

í guess that it's supposed to be a Sun burst?
The penny only dropped for me a fortnight or so ago about the California Son/Sun pun, so í'm a bit slow on the uptick these days...

youre right lihs was also pretty shit.....

i dont get it. the recent single sleeve designs have been excellent ..........then we get this train wreck. i dont get it , i really dont.

No point talking to ^THIS^ clown about music.
Aaawww diddums id angwy but vewwy impotent in music soycles.
We all wait with baited breath for those crumbs of musical wisdom and knowledge. Any minute now.....

They can’t, and shouldn’t be expected to. Though It’ll be interesting to hear what they do with it. Maybe a case of Morrissey saving it with his vocal delivery. Good enough.

The clip is lovely, again the voice. Hard to judge the music/production based on this snippet.
You’re spot-on about one thing.

They CAN’T.

:rofl: The guy at 1.58 told me not to listen to the cover! So I won't.

(I had a hard enough time when Morrissey and his band strangely decided, with heart, yes heart, to cover "Sunny"... Which now reminds me of Sun Triple Clean.
The Sunny massacre? Well, that's one stain that won't come off!)

The portrait of the artist as a detergent will appeal to Consuela, though...

Please don't use Cilit Bang to clean your toilets guys, it's terrible for the environment.
Use Illicit Bang, as recommended by all Mandarin Oriental clients.:)

Right,
I'm not a fan of bickering.
People can be forgiven for not getting to grips with Japanese Youtube...
I have managed this on a train just using Android - which isn't easy.
I will re-encode it if it sounds different on my PC, but it should be fine.

Updated: with store-bought full quality version.
Hope it placates everyone.
Regards,
FWD.

It's Over - MP3:
Studio version 320kbps MP3:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/rykwnm

Definitely has that vibe of all those come-to-jesus books í see in the window of the Kumbaya shops í scurry by. Just a little more...pastel? ;)
í guess that it's supposed to be a Sun burst?
The penny only dropped for me a fortnight or so ago about the California Son/Sun pun, so í'm a bit slow on the uptick these days...

Kumbaya shops :lbf: Ah, Joe, you do have a way.

Right,
I'm not a fan of bickering.
People can be forgiven for not getting to grips with Japanese Youtube...
I have managed this on a train just using Android - which isn't easy.
I will re-encode it if it sounds different on my PC, but it should be fine.
Hope it placates everyone.
Regards,
FWD.

It's Over - MP3:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/9uldiu

Ta

Crooner!

LP sounds quite annoying , shrill

Aaawww diddums id angwy but vewwy impotent in music soycles.
We all wait with baited breath for those crumbs of musical wisdom and knowledge. Any minute now.....
You’ll find exactly ZERO crumbs of musical wisdom in a thread debating the merits of a Morrissey cover of a Roy Orbison song.

Boatloads of diarrhea and some shot-stained diapers.

...but ZERO crumbs of musical wisdom. :)

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom