when you're small
you're bound to look ???

so compadre
please do this for me
compadre please read for me
compadre
compadre

Ringo who?

It doesn't make sense that it's addressed to Joyce because 'Compadre' in English means, 'Mate'

I never thought it was specifically about Joyce, but it was just a nice convienience that Ringo being a drummer is what Joyce was and that it all tied in nicely.

I've always loved this song...it reminds me of a guy i was involved with who was obsessed with his height, and was a dickhead about it. Morrissey certainley cut him down to size...muhahahahahaa!!

An old rumour about this song as that it is (at least in part) about Spencer Cobrin. The original "It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small" was supposed to have been a Morrissey/Cobrin composition which never saw light of day. After Spencer took his leave and formed Elva Snow with Scott Matthew, his song "Could Ya" (co-written with Matthew) is said (by someone who had heard the original) to resemble (musically) the song he had written with Morrissey. The lyric to "Could Ya" is no more flattering than that of the song we now know as "It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small", thus leading to speculation that these two songs represent Morrissey and Cobrin sniping at each other after their fall-out.

Mind you, the internet's an awful place and the above may be utter tosh. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
An old rumour about this song as that it is (at least in part) about Spencer Cobrin. The original "It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small" was supposed to have been a Morrissey/Cobrin composition which never saw light of day. After Spencer took his leave and formed Elva Snow with Scott Matthew, his song "Could Ya" (co-written with Matthew) is said (by someone who had heard the original) to resemble (musically) the song he had written with Morrissey. The lyric to "Could Ya" is no more flattering than that of the song we now know as "It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small", thus leading to speculation that these two songs represent Morrissey and Cobrin sniping at each other after their fall-out.

Mind you, the internet's an awful place and the above may be utter tosh. :rolleyes:

There's interview with Spencer where he says he'd be flattered if it was about him.

Each time I'm listening to that song I think of Nicolas Sarkozy....:sick:

Right, and no one ever used "mate" sarcastically.

Yes, but it's not used sarcastically and it doesn't make sense used in that context.

Personally, I always thought he was saying 'gringo', which
would make more sense.

There's interview with Spencer where he says he'd be flattered if it was about him.
The most interesting reading in that interview is between the lines, imho.
link please? thank you very much

i found two others ones though, maybe i oversaw it?
http://chocchiphopera.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-spencer-cobrin-interview.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20070113091652/www.morrisseytour.com/feature/spencer/saintsin2.shtml
http://web.archive.org/web/20070108123335/www.morrisseytour.com/feature/spencer/index.shtml

^very amusing-i thought the rolling in bed pics were a rumour/spencer teasing but sounds like they happened..nice:thumb:.hmmm-let them do see the light of day please;)
well maybe linder puts out a morrissey shot part 2-"the X--(rated)Files":D
-i would guess no other than linder shot these

Last edited:
I believe the song is about Mike Joyce and it goes back and forth between what MJ is saying and what Moz is saying.

Mike Joyce:
"I can kill standing still - it's easy
I can scare with a stare - it's easy"

Morrissey:
Hey Ringo, it's sad though
Because it's hard to walk tall when you're small
Whether dressed in disciplined style, nevermind
When you're small you walk as if you're falling

Mike Joyce:
"I attack from the back - because it's easy
And I can assail while wearing very nice jewelery"

Morrissey:
Oh, hey Ringo, it's sad though
Because it's hard to walk tall when you're small
Whether dressed in disciplined style, nevermind
When you're small you spend your life crawling

Mike Joyce:
"I burst into public bars
and I throw my weight around
And no one can even see me
No one can even see me
Nobody can see me
No one can see me"

"Success is just a mess!" - (this could be either)

Morrissey:
Oh, hey Gringo, it's sad though
because it's hard to walk tall when you're small
whether dressed in disciplined style, nevermind
when you're small you're bound to look appalling

Mike Joyce:
"So compadre, please do this for me
Compadre, please weep for me
Compadre, compadre
Please, weep for me"

Back
Top Bottom