Italian police ready to sue and ask for compensation - reports

It's official: the Italian police will sue Moz

La Polizia denuncia Morrissey per diffamazione: “Sono psicopatici armati” - Affaritaliani.it

Morrissey diffama la Polizia italiana, Consap: «pronti a denunciarlo e a chiedergli un risarcimento» - OP Osservatore Politico

Google Translate to English:

Morrissey defames the Italian Police, Consap "ready to sue and ask for compensation"
By Pier Paolo Palozzi

The British singer was stopped by police for a check, in central Rome. Subsequently, on their social profile, he defined the agents of "armed psychopaths." The Police Union: "we do not care about the 'logic she does not know who I am', for us all citizens are equal, including the singers'

ROME - A lawsuit and a thank you, these are the reactions of Consap, more representative union of the State Police to heavy externalization of the English singer Morrissey.

"By the term 'armed psychopaths' that the singer has posted on his company profile - explains the national secretary of Consap Stefano Spagnoli - has been given a mandate to our legal department to assess the details of defamation, while about the possibility that the singer gates all Italian dates we can only thank him for freeing resources for the safety of Italian citizens. "

The Conferazione Statutory Autonomous Police rejects the sender, "the logic of" you do not know who I am "and the bad example of respect for the rule of law provided by singer .- continues the Trade Union Confederation of Autonomous Police - hoping that the promoters of these events musical know better assess the artists to gratify the presence and with the massive crowds, excluding those who clearly and despite the emergence of international security think they are above the law and police checks. "

UPDATE July 12:

Additional quotes from the police union in a link posted by an anonymous person:

Il Siulp (sindacato dei poliziotti) denuncia Morrissey per oltraggio - Askanews

Last edited by a moderator:
there won't be a lawsuit, Morrissey wasn't arrested, not even put in a policecar and got asked about His behaviour. Think any lawyer can defend Morrissey against the Rome police in court succesfull

nuff

I don't think there will be a successful one. They will have to prove damages somehow probably by claiming he will have a hard time looking for work in his field I imagine though he is of course still employed and the police I'm sure get complaints, even ones directed at individuals, all the time. Just because you're famous doesn't mean you lose you're right to have a negative opinion of a police officer about what they do in public

Morrissey isn't the bringing the lawsuit though, and it's not a criminal trial. It's a(nother) civil suit against Morrissey. I wonder how you say "devious, truculent, and unreliable" in Italian? Well, we'll know soon enough.

I wonder why you come here just to talk shit?

There will be no lawsuit.

Ok, so judge Moz by what he said. Fair enough. That doesn't mean you try to get money from him too. I appreciate Calamine's comments and do agree that Moz went too far in posting the photo and name. There was no need for that. I don't know why I often end up apologising for Moz. I reckon Martin Rossiter made some good points when he said he's sick of having to defend Moz to his friends. I'm doggy paddling slowly towards that same boat.

...but Morrissey didn't post the photo and name... No one asked you to "apologise"... You still don't get it... You can walk away, what's keeping you?

...but Morrissey didn't post the photo and name... No one asked you to "apologise"... You still don't get it... You can walk away, what's keeping you?
So who do you want on this site? People who love everything about Moz and leave the site at the first sight of anything that annoys them? Sounds like a boring crowd to me. I'll walk away when I feel like it. Moz Solo is a great site. Morrissey makes great music. The rest is just fluff.
If Moz didn't post the name/photo then I'd say he has nothing much to worry about apart from a deflamatory statement, or defamatory, or whatever that pesky word is.

Last edited:
Is that your years of experience in Italian courtrooms speaking?

Definitely not. Is your many years of experience what has you reply. If so explain what the substance of the case will be and how they'll prove damages or what to extent they'll be obliged to etc. morrissey didn't make the post or name and we don't even know that he took the picture. He was merely quoted giving his version of the interaction and unless they can prove he's lying in some way that damages the officers ability to make money in the future as a police officer or suffered some tangible injury then I think it's gonna be hard for them. Sams not in morrisseys employ as far as I know. Morrissey called the cop a psychopath based on his own observations. That doesn't seem like much of a defamation case

Morrissey isn't the bringing the lawsuit though, and it's not a criminal trial. It's a(nother) civil suit against Morrissey. I wonder how you say "devious, truculent, and unreliable" in Italian? Well, we'll know soon enough.

as Ed Wood already wrote, I think you have to know something about law, if there would be a lawsuit, Morrissey should have been hold and taken to the police station. It's bit harsh what Morrissey said,afterwards about the whole incident, but traffic cop who puts his gun on someone he knew as famous and was verbal agressive while Morrissey didn't do anything wrong, as he wasn't the driver. Don't be boring about the Joyce case. There will be NO lawsuit

there won't be a lawsuit, Morrissey wasn't arrested, not even put in a policecar and got asked about His behaviour. Think any lawyer can defend Morrissey against the Rome police in court succesfull

nuff

dont be dense. Morrissey wasnt arrested yet he libeled a police officer trying to do his job.
it will be a civil lawsuit, which Morrissey will lose. He will also not show up for fear of being tossed in jail for not paying the suit.

So who do you want on this site? People who love everything about Moz and leave the site at the first sight of anything that annoys them? Sounds like a boring crowd to me. I'll walk away when I feel like it. Moz Solo is a great site. Morrissey makes great music. The rest is just fluff.
If Moz didn't post the name/photo then I'd say he has nothing much to worry about apart from a deflamatory statement, or defamatory, or whatever that pesky word is.

I believe in free speech, but coming here and moaning/trashing day in, day out is a different story. Release yourself from your "pain", some of us are just fine and are bored of the whole, "Morrissey is not who I thought he was..." bullshit. I. don't. care. And neither does he, I would guess, frankly.

Last edited:
This. Is. Hilarious.

They don't have a case since what Morrissey said via Sam is an opinion. I have said worse about Trump and Benny has said much worse about Morrissey. Also, what are the damages? Don't most people think the same thing about police? Also, i think it is really strange you think it is wrong to post a photo of a policeman online.
https://www.rcfp.org/browse-media-l...d-law-summer-2011/opinion-defense-remains-str

You might think it's strange, but if it's against the law of the land, someone's in deep shit, no matter what you think.

I believe in free speech, but coming here and moaning/trashing day in, day out is a different story. Release yourself from your "pain", some of us are just fine and are bored of the whole, "Morrissey is not who thought he was..." bullshit. I. don't. care. And neither does he, I would guess, frankly.
You sound like a control freak but thanks for the warm advice. Next time put it in a bottle and throw it into the sea.

You might think it's strange, but if it's against the law of the land, someone's in deep shit, no matter what you think.

These videos are all over youtube, these are worse, they film the whole traffic stop. They haven't been taken down. Also, the venue won't be Italy, facebook in USA, the paper is in the UK. And it's lil Sammy that is in the hot seat, he posted it.

These videos are all over youtube, these are worse, they film the whole traffic stop. They haven't been taken down. Also, the venue won't be Italy, facebook in USA, the paper is in the UK. And it's lil Sammy that is in the hot seat, he posted it.

We all know laws are applied unevenly. Obviously they don't have time and resources to go after every incident ... the fact that Morrissey is "high profile" might have forced their hand in this matter (or so they've reasoned).

I really doubt there is a law making it illegal to take or share photos of the Italian police, at least not per se. How would Italian newspapers cope with that? Would your holiday video get impounded if you've inadvertently filmed a copper in the background?

If there is some sort of law in that area, it will somehow specify contexts in which it is not allowed. I can imagine it being illegal to post a photo in such a way that it might cause the officer harassment, though.

I really doubt there is a law making it illegal to take or share photos of the Italian police, at least not per se. How would Italian newspapers cope with that? Would your holiday video get impounded if you've inadvertently filmed a copper in the background?

If there is some sort of law in that area, it will somehow specify contexts in which it is not allowed. I can imagine it being illegal to post a photo in such a way that it might cause the officer harassment, though.

I don't know if it's a law per se ... but I could see it in the light of harassment and perhaps a civil matter. Again, the fact that this was made public and involving a "celebrity" might justify actions that would not be taken with your average Joe Blow. I guess we'll find out in due time.

I've been thinking about the contrast between where Morrissey's life is now and Johnny Marr's (currently reading "Set the Boy Free"). Johnny is happy and healthy. He no longer drinks, runs 5-10 miles a day and adores his wife and children. He maintains long-term relationships ... and is very well respected. You just can't imagine this kind of constant, senseless shit happening to Johnny.

Last edited:

I love how you think you know the law, you phony shithead, when Sam actually has a law degree. What do you have? A solo forum TOS rules degree? (that you constantly break) Pipe down. The adults are talking.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom