It was 20 years ago today - Southpaw Grammar was released in the UK

Re: It was 20 years ago today....'SOUTHPAW GRAMMAR' was released in the UK.

When was the last time Morrissey played anything off this album live? I believe he did "Boy Racer" once or twice a few years ago, and then before that it must have been 2008/2009ish, with "Reader Meet Author" and "Best Friend on the Payroll." It's time!

I guess he also did "Fantastic Bird" a few times in 2012, but of course purists will not count this as a SG track. It's not even from the right year, as I understand!

I like it a lot, I remember being apprehensive at the time of release, but it's one of those that grows on you over time.
Some real gems to be found here, The Operation (sans unnecessarily long intro), Southpaw (sans unnecessarily long outro), Reader Meet Author of course.
Streets ahead of World Peace, little did we know...

20 years!
Where did the time go? Why did the time go?

An amazing album. The original cover/tracklisting is the best.

I guess he also did "Fantastic Bird" a few times in 2012, but of course purists will not count this as a SG track. It's not even from the right year, as I understand!

No, indeed. It was an outtake recorded circa 'Your Arsenal.'

I still hold out hope that the Miraval session will one day come to light. In fact, I'm surprised it has not leaked digitally knowing that the Rhino reissue test disc was sold on eBay earlier this year. Given that he shared early versions of 'Years of Refusal' songs recently, hopefully this domino, too, will fall.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the penultimate album by Morrissey. The guy that came back in 2004 isn't the same person who fronted The Smiths.

When was the last time Morrissey played anything off this album live? I believe he did "Boy Racer" once or twice a few years ago, and then before that it must have been 2008/2009ish, with "Reader Meet Author" and "Best Friend on the Payroll." It's time!

I still don't know why he refuses to play its b-side "Nobody Loves Us" with his current line-up. I've been expecting to see that one in the live set for many years now but he doesn't even touch it. If there is one song that he would applaud Jesse for tackling, it's that one.

this album was recorded right of the back of the boxers tour, I think they were all on a high by the end with the reception they had received and went straight into the studio to try and capture that, I think it is definitely an album that has alot going for it, well worth another listen!

20 years ago wow !

As far as I'm concerned, this is the penultimate album by Morrissey. The guy that came back in 2004 isn't the same person who fronted The Smiths.

This is an excellent point and one I'd never really considered before. I do love that last album though.

Excellent use of the word penultimate!

And I agree: 2004-Present Morrissey is a different animal (no pun intended). I'm not saying I don't love quite a bit of it, but 1988-1997 is really the sweet spot for me anyways. 1992-1997 especially.

The only song I could really never get into on it is "Southpaw." I don't think it's shit, but I just haven't found what's so special about it, personally.

Yeah I sort of agree about it being the penultimate album, I think Moz left way too long a gap to come back with Quarry in 04, if he'd released 2 or 3 albums in the lost period his perception of him now probably wouldn't be seen as the Manchester crooner and all the rest of the new glut of nicknames he got when he came back during Quarry.

Southpaw though is a fantastic album, I liked it when he toughened up in the mid 90s, I think he became more of a normal bloke and gained more respect. It was really British as well, he's become too diluted now, he doesn't sing about real stuff, he's a bit too international now. Thems the breaks.

Yeah I sort of agree about it being the penultimate album, I think Moz left way too long a gap to come back with Quarry in 04, if he'd released 2 or 3 albums in the lost period his perception of him now probably wouldn't be seen as the Manchester crooner and all the rest of the new glut of nicknames he got when he came back during Quarry.

He needed the comeback, I feel. While his fans would've appreciated more albums in the span of the wilderness years, the comeback definitely exposed him to a much wider audience than if he were to just keep shooting out albums in the same style over those years. He might not have added a keyboard to the live lineup, which I feel is absolutely essential now.

I will say, he didn't necessarily need to move to California during this time.

He needed the comeback, I feel. While his fans would've appreciated more albums in the span of the wilderness years, the comeback definitely exposed him to a much wider audience than if he were to just keep shooting out albums in the same style over those years. He might not have added a keyboard to the live lineup, which I feel is absolutely essential now.

I will say, he didn't necessarily need to move to California during this time.

yeah i agree but i think he was pulling out even before then. theres less moz on southpaw than at any other time or album and maladjusted it was said he very uncharacteristically left a lot of details to the record company

Back
Top Bottom