It may disturb you but..

It wasn't aimed at yourself personally. No personal insult involved or intended

Phew! Don't some people get their knickers in a right old twist over nothing?

Don't even get me started on idol worship tonight. I'm going to sleep.

I would hazard a guess that, like the vast majority of tracks on YoR, it would appear to be about nothing other than spinning out phrases that sound like Morrisseyisms.

I suppose only Moz will know whether the song is about a friend, lover, ex-band member etc. In my humble opinion though this is one of the greatest ever Moz songs. Its a great album closer and a perfect song to finish on during the YOR tour. It's just disappointing that at the concerts i've been to so far it doesn't seem to get the passionate crowd response it deserves.

Or, if you take it as a comment on being a solo artist, as opposed to being in a permanent songwriting/band setup, there is one obvious candidate...

I love this song, its brilliant.

I think of it as Moz telling all those non-believers, non-supporters to f*** off with this song, especially the UK media who after Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted came out were so brutal to him with their poison pen and discarded him as a washed up pop star, HA! They had to eat their own words after Quarry came out, revenge is so sweet, :)

But I think its also about possible love interests who only wished they could get into Moz's pants over the years and now he's reassuring them he's OK without the physical part of any human relationship, contact.

Or maybe its just my imagination playing tricks on me? :lbf:

Whatever the case, the song is fab, :cool:

It's just disappointing that at the concerts i've been to so far it doesn't seem to get the passionate crowd response it deserves.

I've been surprised by the crowd responses too - it's probably my favourite from YoR, and always expect it to receive a welcome like SiSmS does on tour, but it doesn't. Weird, cos it's a song you can really rock out to.

But I think its also about possible love interests who only wished they could get into Moz's pants over the years and now he's reassuring them he's OK without the physical part of any human relationship, contact.

It could also be a signal to the world that he's happy having a solo career rather than being part of The Smiths.

It could also be a signal to the world that he's happy having a solo career rather than being part of The Smiths.

Oooh, that's true, I never thought of it like that :o
I just figured that by his ninth solo studio album that that message was kind of implied. :rolleyes:

Anyone who has told him in the past that he must go out and look for a significant other to have a fulfilled life.

its supposed to be interpreted that way,or could it be a smokescreen.?ill explain,are the lyrics a song about our hero professing to be ok by himself,ie he doesnt need a significant other in his life,thats why hes alone.or is he?i sometimes wonder.is it just a cover up.hes just so private.i think hes privately not alone,what do you reckon?:confused:

its supposed to be interpreted that way,or could it be a smokescreen.?ill explain,are the lyrics a song about our hero professing to be ok by himself,ie he doesnt need a significant other in his life,thats why hes alone.or is he?i sometimes wonder.is it just a cover up.hes just so private.i think hes privately not alone,what do you reckon?:confused:

This is the beauty of it, though. :) Interpretation is boundless because the songs reflect his personal life, rather than being mindless and meaningless hooks all too often found in other modern music. I find that he sings about himself, and at times he can be a person we can or cannot relate to. There's a downside to being able to relate to someone all the time, and there's a downside to not being able to relate at all. Morrissey to me is the happy medium -- we can't always get inside his head, and yet, the things he says through music are things that we've all felt. :thumb:

This is the beauty of it, though. :) Interpretation is boundless because the songs reflect his personal life, rather than being mindless and meaningless hooks all too often found in other modern music. I find that he sings about himself, and at times he can be a person we can or cannot relate to. There's a downside to being able to relate to someone all the time, and there's a downside to not being able to relate at all. Morrissey to me is the happy medium -- we can't always get inside his head, and yet, the things he says through music are things that we've all felt. :thumb:

AMEN to that! :thumb:

Oooh, that's true, I never thought of it like that :o
I just figured that by his ninth solo studio album that that message was kind of implied. :rolleyes:

You would think so but there are constant rumours of a reunion and every new record is held up against the work of The Smiths.

well,what im really trying to say,and this is difficult,is morrissey gay?there ive said it.not that ive got anything against gays dont get me wrong but i sometimes wonder about moz but he is very camp and his lyrics are camp and ive seen some of his single covers and t shirts which look dodgy,people ask me if hes gay and i just dont know.he says hes ok by himself but is he hiding the truth,like some kind of denial,like hes so shy he would be embarrassed if the truth got out,does anyone know what i mean?ive often thought about this and sometimes it sneaks out of his songs lyrics.i dont know?the celibate thing and the single life?i dont get it.no disrespect to anyone but if you were morrissey would you be single?its a mystery,the mystique of the man i suppose,i dont know how he can keep it a secret,but hasnt anyone else wondered or is it just me.the answer would unlock most of his songs from reel around the fountain to im ok by myself.its took me a lot of guts to ask the question"is moz gay"?:confused:

well,what im really trying to say,and this is difficult,is morrissey gay?there ive said it.not that ive got anything against gays dont get me wrong but i sometimes wonder about moz but he is very camp and his lyrics are camp and ive seen some of his single covers and t shirts which look dodgy,people ask me if hes gay and i just dont know.he says hes ok by himself but is he hiding the truth,like some kind of denial,like hes so shy he would be embarrassed if the truth got out,does anyone know what i mean?ive often thought about this and sometimes it sneaks out of his songs lyrics.i dont know?the celibate thing and the single life?i dont get it.no disrespect to anyone but if you were morrissey would you be single?its a mystery,the mystique of the man i suppose,i dont know how he can keep it a secret,but hasnt anyone else wondered or is it just me.the answer would unlock most of his songs from reel around the fountain to im ok by myself.its took me a lot of guts to ask the question"is moz gay"?:confused:

you just blew my mind.

:rolleyes:

Bravo..:clap:

my favourite from Years of Refusal, a perfect song, full of passion.
Morrissey favourite too;)

Back
Top Bottom