It’s not about politics

I never thought of it as a Christmas song!
You wouldn’t know unless you hear the original which has Christmas bells on, making the meaning obvious.

Also, someone on here noted a while back that Morrissey changed a few of the lyrics—possibly to make it more oblique?

You wouldn’t know unless you hear the original which has Christmas bells on, making the meaning obvious.

Also, someone on here noted a while back that Morrissey changed a few of the lyrics—possibly to make it more oblique?

I'll research!

20201205_014638.jpg

20201205_014608.jpg

20201205_014548.jpg

He's changed it so he isn't picking the girls up - they're just like him, trapped in showbiz.

And the family home isn't festive - it's miserable & going back doesn't work out.

He Mozified it.

View attachment 66329

View attachment 66330
View attachment 66331

He's changed it so he isn't picking the girls up - they're just like him, trapped in showbiz.

And the family home isn't festive - it's miserable & going back doesn't work out.

He Mozified it.

And you’ve just informed me that it oddly appears in the middle of the Kill Uncle re-release—which I didn’t buy.

He’s clearly proud of it, but that’s an odd place to stick it (a sentence which should be a lyric in a George Formby song).

View attachment 66329

View attachment 66330
View attachment 66331

He Mozified it.

You're wrong as usual. He sings 'ogling and eyeing' just like the Herman's Hermits version. He rewrote the family home lines in the fourth verse but regarding the other lines: thinking that he "changed it so he isn't picking the girls up" is just your imagination working overtime like it always is. You should PM reelfountain and you can talk to each other about the abundance of unconventional ideas and grand notions you both have, because you're both big-time fantasists. This link shows the changes that were made to the lyrics, which are minor apart from the festive verse:

Now please stop spreading your half-baked imaginings and guesswork all over the forum.

It is really sad to hear that. Do you have any dry cleaners and/or laundrettes in your area? Do you have good pubs in your area or any night life and culture? Supermarkets still seem to be doing well. But small independent food shops like bakeries are not doing so good.

There was a song called "Ghost Town" in the 1980s. That song also talked about clubs that had closed down.

There's a cleaners in town. Been there forever. Hard to say what the pub situation will be until the Covid situation clears up...but yere, normally, there's loads. Too many bad ones actually. Supermarkets have wiped out butchers and small food shops, unless they cater to specific ethnic minorities. Most of the bakers except the chain "Greggs" have gone.

You're wrong as usual. He sings 'ogling and eyeing' just like the Herman's Hermits version. He rewrote the family home lines in the fourth verse but regarding the other lines: thinking that he "changed it so he isn't picking the girls up" is just your imagination working overtime like it always is. You should PM reelfountain and you can talk to each other about the abundance of unconventional ideas and grand notions you both have, because you're both big-time fantasists. This link shows the changes that were made to the lyrics, which are minor apart from the festive verse:

Now please stop spreading your half-baked imaginings and guesswork all over the forum.

Arguing about a Herman's Hermits song is......hilarious.

You need to take it up with Google lyrics.

He does sing dying.

There's a cleaners in town. Been there forever. Hard to say what the pub situation will be until the Covid situation clears up...but yere, normally, there's loads. Too many bad ones actually. Supermarkets have wiped out butchers and small food shops, unless they cater to specific ethnic minorities. Most of the bakers except the chain "Greggs" have gone.
Dry cleaners still seem to be surviving at the moment. But with less people needing clean smart suits to go to work in or posh outfits and coats for special events they probably have less customers. They often do alterations and some sewing as well and some do ironing services.

Laundrettes are getting less common with more people having washing machines and tumble dryers at home.

Do you have much nightlife in your area like clubs, bars and restaurants? Or cultural things like theatres, museums or art galleries? Do you have much of a Christian community? Churches around where I live are still not back to normal. You can't sing hymns in church anymore or worship songs. I don't think they will allow Holy Communion also called the Lord's Supper at all in churches yet.

People are buying so much online. And as you say because supermarkets are so popular many small independent food shops have closed down. I believe that hairdressers and beauticians will come back as people will always need their hair cutting. I think some pubs will survive mainly the ones that serve food.

But surely, the ‘save the high street project’ (which has already involved the payout of millions to data companies and minor celebrities) must be about to revive our localities?

The High Streets Heritage Action Zone (HSHAZ) programme delivered by Historic England, at the cost of hundreds of thousands, has certainly added an extra three pence to the coffers of our local pound shops.

Just wait until those ‘thriving community hubs’ open their doors. Then the tills will be ringing out.

But surely, the ‘save the high street project’ (which has already involved the payout of millions to data companies and minor celebrities) must be about to revive our localities?

The High Streets Heritage Action Zone (HSHAZ) programme delivered by Historic England, at the cost of hundreds of thousands, has certainly added an extra three pence to the coffers of our local pound shops.

Just wait until those ‘thriving community hubs’ open their doors. Then the tills will be ringing out.

We've had 2 pound shops close in the last year. If the pound shops can't survive, god help us. As to "community hubs"........don't get me started. Our council in their wisdom, god rid of the main council building in the high st, where people paid their taxes et al...sold it off and now everything is located in the library. We even pick up our bin bags in them. It's all a joke.

We've had 2 pound shops close in the last year. If the pound shops can't survive, god help us. As to "community hubs"........don't get me started. Our council in their wisdom, god rid of the main council building in the high st, where people paid their taxes et al...sold it off and now everything is located in the library. We even pick up our bin bags in them. It's all a joke.
If you hear the words ‘hub’, ‘progressive’, ‘thriving’, ‘challenging’ or ‘inappropriate’, you know you're about to have your pocket picked. If you hear the word ‘vibrant’ you’ve probably already been shafted.

If you hear the words ‘hub’, ‘progressive’, ‘thriving’, ‘challenging’ or ‘inappropriate’, you know you're about to have your pocket picked. If you hear the word ‘vibrant’ you’ve probably already been shafted.
Inappropriate? Someone told me yesterday we're headed for global communism.

Back
Top Bottom