"Istanbul" chart update - true-to-you.net

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
I have completely missed out on "Istanbul" being released as a single somehow. Then again I mainly only check TTY...why was there no accouncement whatsoever about the release of this single there?

I went to see an 80s band last week and I was horrified by all the people singing along to the 80s songs. WHEN will this finally stop that people are so easily influenced? I am wishing the days of sheetmusic back when people went to buy sheetmusic to play their own music at home. Seriously.

Eh? What sdo you mean?

The Smiths and Morrissey as a solo artist have never been good on the charts. That's part of why I like them. If Morrissey was a top 10 artist along with whoever crappy singer is popular now, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, whoever, I would not listen to him. I remember the first time I heard The Smiths. It was "How Soon Is Now" back in 1985. It was the most incredible thing I had ever heard, and I was glad no one was playing it all over the radio. You heard Michael Jackson and Wham all over the radio and got sick of them. I even got sick of Duran Duran. I am still discovering new Smiths songs that I never listened to back in the day. This music is not for mainstream people to hear or understand.

The statement is getting dangerously close to Alan Partridge territory, when he's going on about his TV show called Skirmish on UK Conquest.

I went to see an 80s band last week and I was horrified by all the people singing along to the 80s songs. WHEN will this finally stop that people are so easily influenced? I am wishing the days of sheetmusic back when people went to buy sheetmusic to play their own music at home. Seriously.

You read my mind.

Well, I nearly fell out of bed when I heard Istanbul being played on BBC Radio 6music the other day, I actually stopped breathing so as I could listen. It really shouldn't be this much of a suprise ;)

So what we're leading to here, is a made-up statistic intended as a statement on the way the record industry works, and in particular Harvest? He could have said #1 on the Mongolian goat-herders chart.

P.

No, he could not, for it is well known that the Mongolian Goat Herders Chart has been topped by "Who Let The Dogs Out?" since its release. It is the revered as the longest chart topping streak in history, targeted by PR firms far and wide as if it were the Holy Grail...

A statement that a song (not really an actually "single", but more an album track released early to generate interest/excitement for the album) is gaining stream and actually charting somewhere over other songs (actual singles) is a piss-take or shot at Harvest? Wow. What a bunch of dicks!!!!
Truth is, the promotion of this LP has been kinda strange, but the industry is f***ed anyway, so credit to Moz and Harvest for trying something different...

Does Geoff Travis work for Capitol records now?! I fully expect a chapter in the reissued/repackaged autobiography to touch upon this. Plus 5 chapters to touch on the Kirsteen Young episode.

i can see what you mean about trying something different but you should never release so many songs this early if your worried about there chart positions. it also usually just stifles enthusiasm causes confusion and gets people talking about negative topics because theres to many people talking about to many songs to get one really good long conversation going with the public or fans. imo they should have released all the spoken word videos with surprise guest celebrities artists and just let it be a surprise as to which would be released as an album single which causes people guessing speculating and debating about which deserves to win. i mean the topic talked about most in the spoken word video for earth is... was that pamela anderson was also in it. hell if they did spoken word versions of all the songs they could then release a bonus disk/download limited edition of world peace.. the words or the language of world peace etc etc have it in deluxe version or something else. anyway the single hype campaign was weird

How much are these campus radios listened to however? We also had one at the university that I went to and I never listend to it, but the people who ran it moved on to become radio journalists at private and public radios. Things have changed during the past ten years with the internet and the different technology and amongst the universities listed there are a few rather large ones like Münster with 39,000 students and the others with 17,000 students. The Smiths ONLY became big in the U.S.A. because they and R.E.M. were the darlings of U.S. American college radio. Their music was also played at school discos in Germany, which made them known I'd say. That's where I first heard How Soon Is Now anyway, eventhough I have no clue how I ever know that THIS were The Smiths. It is something that I cannot dig out of my memory, it's not there, gone. I DO hope however that this does NOT refresh any interest in this guy with his racist, evil, f***ed up fans who enjoys to take the money but does not even try to hide that it is the least place where he'd want to play. I saw with delight that by now his records are really mainly off the record shelved, where lots used to be stocked. Never to be return there, I am surely hoping. Germany used to be a major of his, but totally unjustified. Why on earth Rockpalast even gave The Smiths an early television exposure is beyond me, but then again the WDR likes to use other people's money to further its own agenda or better the creeps who work there. Where 1Live was once established to sponsor local bands, they are now mainly wasting the money on setting up concerts for American and British arseholes that everybody could well do without.

Apart from this, did you see the article in DIE ZEIT saying that there have always been homosexual muslims? What an amazing coinsidence. Not really. Only shows that Morrissey really is a complete tool. That Johnny Marr also had an opportunity to voice his bullshit in the "I had a dream" section last year I saw recently. So the "it is their home, I am not welcomed no more" was obviously about him, that anybody really needs to know... why do such people always get a platform? They are full of themselves, nothing else. Why do such people constantly get the exposure? Because again, it matches that of the media wankers. I went to see an 80s band last week and I was horrified by all the people singing along to the 80s songs. WHEN will this finally stop that people are so easily influenced? I am wishing the days of sheetmusic back when people went to buy sheetmusic to play their own music at home. Seriously.
logging in dont work....okay then
one good station who supports morrissey and the smiths was radio eins , a berlin based station -they recorded the 2006 concert, played his songs daytime-like christmas afternoon playing "last night"
...when it comes to radio station ists a sad sight here.. smaller ones like byte fm comes to mind , but as far as i know byte fm is only avaiable online .
other than that the stations here playing "superhits of the 60ies,70ies,80ies and the "best"from today"
many people here in germany have never heard of morrissey but of the smiths- even when they re not into the music
.. i blame farin urlaub, a singer of a very popular band of with his solosong "sumisu" where he mentions the smiths, and lately the exposure in films like" 500 days of summer"

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom