Istanbul - Cemil Topuzlu Open Air Theatre (July 19, 2012) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

How Soon Is Now? / Everyday Is Like Sunday / You're The One For Me, Fatty / You Have Killed Me / Shoplifters Of The World Unite / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Maladjusted / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / I Know It's Over / Black Cloud / Alma Matters / When Last I Spoke To Carol / Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me / People Are The Same Everywhere / To Give (The Reason I Live) / Speedway / Still Ill / Meat Is Murder / Let Me Kiss You // I Will See You In Far Off Places

set list provided by Morrissey_Ist

• Photo by Ecesu Sertesen / Instagram. Link posted by Miss Garden.

istanbul.jpg

Last edited:
Do you know how the people managed to get on stage with the deep gap between the audience and the stage?

There wasn't any gap at all, only that the stage was quite high (like 230 or 240 cm tall), I tried to get on the stage but was pulled by the security, although Mozzer reached out to hold my hand.
But I should say that, the security guys were the best staff I've ever experienced (was my 8th Mozzer gig). They did not interfere with people trying to shake hands with Moz but only avoided stage invasion attempts, very nicely, also without removing people off the pit who tried to get on but kindly saying "We're instructed not to let people on the stage, please do not attempt again".
After the gig, when Mozzer's own staff was on the stage to pick up the instruments etc., I asked for the setlist but they told us "We're instructed not to give it", isn't it strange?
Yesterday I heard the word "instructions" thrice, what are those instructions and why are people so strict about them, I wonder.

There wasn't any gap between the stage and the audience because IKSV (Istanbul Foundation for Culture and Arts - organization firm) sold downstage tickets to nearly 500 Turkish Lira (although greece tickets were 35 euro) but still it wasn't "downstage". Because there were still some supported EXCLUSIVE people and the gap was their special area.

Full HD videos from yesterday's gig. Enjoy!

I Know It's Over - http://youtu.be/pmx45TMEOY0
I'll See You In Far Off Places - http://youtu.be/SzMXCSRcS_M
Meat Is Murder - http://youtu.be/0piHClwg1f4
How Soon Is Now? http://youtu.be/TSHEUfZKM-k
Let Me Kiss You - http://youtu.be/dM73J81S93Q
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me - http://youtu.be/xGps4gYtfCc
Shoplifters Of The World Unite - http://youtu.be/-E2XX5JVyEY

thanks for putting this up, someone will put in in the youtube Morrissey group .
[lots of Morrissey video's over 21 years, Smiths also the Smiths songs he performs
are also to see in the Smiths years]

[thinking to put up Spotify on again, but I guess there's not much difference,
Spotify looks brighter , but used to use youtube for so long]

anyway thanks:thumb:

Last edited:
Thank you so very much for these! Great quality and he is in top form!

After the gig, when Mozzer's own staff was on the stage to pick up the instruments etc., I asked for the setlist but they told us "We're instructed not to give it", isn't it strange?
Yesterday I heard the word "instructions" thrice, what are those instructions and why are people so strict about them, I wonder.

This website is estimated to generate around 1,400 USD/month from ads. I think that Morrissey does not want to contribute to the traffic generation. Every click means that more money generated. The more uncomfortable and uninformative it is for people to visit this website the better.

There wasn't any gap between the stage and the audience because IKSV (Istanbul Foundation for Culture and Arts - organization firm) sold downstage tickets to nearly 500 Turkish Lira (although greece tickets were 35 euro) but still it wasn't "downstage". Because there were still some supported EXCLUSIVE people and the gap was their special area.

Thank you for the additional information. This is a lot of money. I had first thought that only photographers had been allowed there to take pictures after I first seen the gap on the pictures before the concert and then the more professional pictures from this perspective. But now it makes sense.

I Know It's Over was the highlight of the night for me.
I was disappointed that he would choose to finish the concert with Far Away places.

I'm still on cloud 9 after last night! I flew from UAE just for this gig, and was not disappointed. I last saw Mozz in Melbourne in 2002, and as far as I'm concerned, he's still in top form. I did think he got low in energy about half the way through, and the set list was far from my favourite, but I was still overjoyed with his performance. I think it was during 'Last Night I Dreamt' this voice quality struck me as being as strong and melodic as ever. A gorgeous performance.
A few things to say:
* Getting up front - People got up the front (pit) by frankly walking through past security. I got 2nd row tickets and watched, and when I realised, I made my way through. The guy said something to me in Turkish, and I just carried on. Coming so far to Turkey for this, I had to go for broke - I bought the best tickets money could buy online (at the time), so i don't feel bad. My husband hovered around the front in our seated area, and after a few songs one of teh propoter guys (not security) said "Do you want to go in?" And he did. Moral of the story is that you get where you need to be...if you get the best tickets you can, and keep your eyes open, there will be a way. Case in point - I helped the nice girl up on stage b/c she really wanted it, obviously enough to try and do it - I was happy already.

* I thought the crowd loved him. I scanned the crowd from the stage with my camera in video mode, and people were drunk with joy.

* I tried to pass up some flowers (gladioli) during HSIN when I was touching point to the stage, but he didn't take them. So I threw them and they landed, embarrassingly, on his jeans and just kind of stuck there until he swatted them, right off stage. I thought he seemed frankly annoyed. Did I do something wrong?! How many old Smiths videos show gladioli being thrown both ways b/w him and the crowd.

* I got a great photo of the guy who caught the shirt (standing next to me), with it tucked up his Smiths t-shirt. Very deserving catch!

* Most of my stills were out of focus b/c I was mad with excitement, and unfortunately my vids have shocking audio (mostly of me screaming) although taken from his feet.

* Did anyone else think it odd that he spoke less about Syria than normal, despite playing at a bordering country? His intro to People are the Same Everywhere was very light on compared to other concerts of this tour. I wonder if it was a calculated decision?

* Very sweet that fans told some of us to stop talking (it was during a flat patch which was loud, and we were discussing a very important matter of a stage jump for a girl so didn't seem rude). It was like being in church - being told to keep it down out of respect. :blushing:

* Towards the end there were a few freaky patches when the crowd was absolutely slient b/w songs. I could have heard a pin drop for a second or 2. Never seen that b/f at a gig.

Love to all of us Morrissey devotees (espec the pilgrims travelling just for tour)
x
o

you didn't do anything wrong. moz used to embrace the flower thing, but now just mostly ignores it or throws the flowers back. don't know why; maybe it just got old to him.

Out of morbid curiosity...how was the opening act Kristeen Young? I'm only asking out of curiosity that's all. Thank you.

Morrissey hasn't liked flowers at shows since the 1991 tour, so unless you haven't been to any gigs in the last 20 years it shouldn't come as a suprise. I presume he just wants to distance himself from the delicate imagery of the Smiths days. For the record, he doesn't wear a hearing aid or have a bush sticking out of his back pocket either.

To clarify the situation with the orchestra pit being opened up:

We had very cheap seats way up the back, and before Kriseteen Young had even started, we walked right down the front (upon seeing people standing directly in front of the stage in fron of the 500 lira front row seats) to investigate. We walked straight past security, who then told us that anyone could stand at the front if they wished to. This was NOT communicated prior to the gig, and looked like a last minute request from Morrissey's team- as the Jazz festival could easily of made alot of money from this spectacular viewpoint (and god knows they were charging ridiculous amounts of money in the first place). As it was never announced, the majority of attendee's seeing the orchestra pit crowd with people must have assumed we all had special access, or were invited especially to the front of the stage. Not the case, it was free and turned our 150 lira tickets into 500 lira tickets almost instantly, purely as a result of being slightly assertive and leaving our assigned seating before the show. There's been a significant amount of rage on the facebook events page about this miscommunication- but quite honestly the majority of those in the 500 lira seats were corporate bankers and invited upper class scum who had no idea who Morrissey was nor his music, enjoying the nepotism of the IKSV's sponsors. So f*ck them. Thank you to Morrissey, or whoever requested this not be the first ever seated Morrissey concert. What a special evening made so much more amazing by being so close and intimate.

Max.

Out of morbid curiosity...how was the opening act Kristeen Young? I'm only asking out of curiosity that's all. Thank you.

She was really bad. I know it's hard to perform before Morrissey but I can't stand to listen her scream.
Sorry for her but I can't feel something nice.

thanks for putting this up, someone will put in in the youtube Morrissey group .
[lots of Morrissey video's over 21 years, Siths also the Smiths songs he performs
are also to see in the Smiths years]

[thinking to put up Spotify on again, but I guess there's not much difference,
Spotify looks brighter , but used to use youtube for so long]

anyway thanks:thumb:

You're welcome :)

I would love to put them on spotify but unfortunately its not working in Turkey.

She was really bad. I know it's hard to perform before Morrissey but I can't stand to listen her scream.
Sorry for her but I can't feel something nice.

Thanks for the reply...i know she is not a favorite opening act, but unfortunately she is the opening act and I'm always curious as to how she is received....how was the audience's reaction? indifferent? receptive? I don't much care for her "music" either but just like to know how the entire show went--start to finish--i consider the opening act part of the show. thanks again for the reply

She reminded me of a young Kate Bush crossed with a bit of Bjork, wearing a cut-away white weddingy look, and doing a bit of soprano warbling whilst hitting the keyboards alone on stage. She might be a brilliant musician, or she makes it up as she goes along, I couldn't tell. She didn't seem to have a roadie, and I felt sorry that she was disconnecting her own equipment at the end, in her white patent ankle boots and all.

Morrissey hasn't liked flowers at shows since the 1991 tour, so unless you haven't been to any gigs in the last 20 years it shouldn't come as a suprise. I presume he just wants to distance himself from the delicate imagery of the Smiths days. For the record, he doesn't wear a hearing aid or have a bush sticking out of his back pocket either.

I didn't realise that specifically. Must have missed the 1991 press release on that one. Hmm yes, I see your point about the delicate Smiths' imagery. Dragging annoying tall flowers around the city all day was a bit uneccessary then.

I didn't realise that specifically. Must have missed the 1991 press release on that one. Hmm yes, I see your point about the delicate Smiths' imagery. Dragging annoying tall flowers around the city all day was a bit uneccessary then.
He did accept a huge bouquet of what seemed like white roses from again what seemed an older lady that made it on the stage in Rome. But when a gladioli hit the stage during "I know it's over" he expressed overacted & exaggerated disgust/fear looking at it. Seems like an organized bouquet of long stemmed roses is acceptable but no flowers (gladioli, daffodil...) reminiscent of the Smiths' days.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom