is this the only music based forum not goin apeshit over Merriweather Post Pavillion?

Tito

everywhere else ive been on the internets theyre goin mad arse about this album

and damn as hell they should!

this is the album of the decade!

anyone agree? or disagree?

brilliant band Animal Collective are. no one even comes close to them

Re: is this the only music based forum not goin apeshit over Merriweather Post Pavill

Yeah it's really great, sounds like the last 50 years of music condensed into 50 mins or whatever it is.

Re: is this the only music based forum not goin apeshit over Merriweather Post Pavill

I think it's okay, has its share of great moments. But it's more like the soundtrack to hipsters lives than the greatest pop record ever recorded. A bit redundant with the synthetic sounds and tribal choruses.

Thank you for this thread.

I am a big big AC fan.

This album is the greatest album of the decade (or at least one of them)

Pure happiness and euphoria and experimentalism.

I LOVE it

Brothersport is the best song ever written.

Animal Collective is a mesh of indie hype and pretentiousness. And I love indie music. They suck and yeah, I wish everyone would stop blowing their loads over their new record.

Animal Collective is a mesh of indie hype and pretentiousness. And I love indie music. They suck and yeah, I wish everyone would stop blowing their loads over their new record.

They're so original it's ridiculous. Sure, not to everyone's taste, but at least they're doing something different rather than 90 % of the music out there.

They're so original it's ridiculous. Sure, not to everyone's taste, but at least they're doing something different rather than 90 % of the music out there.

I don't know about that. I take it you've heard of Brian Wilson. It's a great record but it's not like this is the first time someone has deconstructed pop and put it back together. Broken Social Scene was chasing a lot of the same ideas on their last record and did a better job of it in my opinion. But judging from your bombastic statement earlier:
Brothersport is the best song ever written.
I'm guessing you've got your mind made up that we've reached the pinnacle of pop.

I don't know about that. I take it you've heard of Brian Wilson. It's a great record but it's not like this is the first time someone has deconstructed pop and put it back together. Broken Social Scene was chasing a lot of the same ideas on their last record and did a better job of it in my opinion. But judging from your bombastic statement earlier: I'm guessing you've got your mind made up that we've reached the pinnacle of pop.

They are very original. Sure, they use elements of the surf-rock genre, but the deep deep bass, the samples, the loops, the synthetic sounds...I feel they are one of the most innovative bands around.
Listen to their first album and listen to this one, and you'll wonder whether it's the same band.

I feel very strongly about this album because I think it's one of those great albums with scarcely any bad moments. The way the songs have been put together, the overall feel of the record, the beautiful harmonising and the cohesiveness of the album is why I love it. Being a Collective fan obviously has something to do with my obsession with the album, but even new listeners can appreciate this just as much.

It is such a departure from, say, their earlier material... they're a band constantly progressing in terms of the way they sound- something I admire.

And yeah, Brothersport may well be the pinnacle of pop.

Last edited:

I feel very strongly about this album because I think it's one of those great albums with scarcely any bad moments. The way the songs have been put together, the overall feel of the record, the beautiful harmonising and the cohesiveness of the album is why I love it. Being a Collective fan obviously has something to do with my obsession with the album, but even new listeners can appreciate this just as much.

It is such a departure from, say, their earlier material... they're a band constantly progressing in terms of the way they sound- something I admire.

And yeah, Brothersport may well be the pinnacle of pop.

I find lots of weak moments on the record, most of all the whining repetitive chant of 'Also Frightened.' And as far as Brothersport goes, it's a good track but they drag on the synth loop far, far too long. Rather annoying in my opinion and like its chorus which is repeated twenty times too many, redundant. Good song that could have used more restraint. I think the strongest moment on the record is My Girls.

But I agree it's their best work. Good to see them pursuing more cohesive pop structures. Though I'm ultimately not sure any of it eclipses Water Curses which is my favorite track of theirs.

Last edited:

I find lots of weak moments on the record, most of all the whining repetitive chant of 'Also Frightened.' And as far as Brothersport goes, it's a good track but they drag on the synth loop far, far too long. Rather annoying in my opinion and like its chorus which is repeated twenty times too many, redundant. Good song that could have used more restraint. I think the strongest moment on the record is My Girls.

But I agree it's their best work. Good to see them pursuing more cohesive pop structures. Though I'm ultimately not sure any of it eclipses Water Curses which is my favorite track of theirs.

Oh, I actually quite like the repetitive, droning elements of their songs.
My Girls is definitely one of the strongest songs on the album, I agree.. it's just pure bliss.

Water Curses : ) A solid EP as well as being a solid song.

I downloaded this of the back of this post, wish i hadn't, don't get it...........at all.........it's shite.

I feel compelled to check this album out now cuz you're praising it and you have a Thom Yorke avatar.

Animal Collective is the new Radiohead.

Back
Top Bottom