Is There is a Light That Never Goes Out actually anyone's favourite?

Eraserhead

Accept Myself
Although on average, it appears to be the most popular song among fans, does anyone actually consider it to be the purest example of Morrissey or The Smiths at their best? If you had to pick one song, what would it be?
Sorry if this has been covered before. I'm just curious. There are many songs I prefer, such as:

Paint a vulgar picture
Seasick, yet still docked
The last of the famous international playboys
Mountjoy
Speedway
Please, please, please let me get what I want
The boy with the thorn in his side

I could say more, but you get the general idea......

My favourite is probably 'The Boy With the Thorn In His Side', particularly the live version on 'Rank' - just sublime.

But I get what you're saying. 'There Is A Light...' is the obvious contender for their best song.

My favourites are Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want and Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved me. There is a Light isn't bad though!

I prefer Half a Person, but the There is a Light demo is perfection.

reel around the fountain for the smiths

tomorrow for moz solo

When he sings "There's a light in your eyes and it never goes out" in the demo I just about melt.

It is among my five or six favourites and I had to chose only one, well, There is a Light That Never Goes Out.

It's not my favorite, but I'm not complaining!

I do think it's the quintessential Smiths song, though. If someone doesn't like There Is a Light, they're probably not going to like the Smiths at all.

To broaden it out, and instead of starting a new thread (as you all know I HATE doing that), name 3 quintessential Smiths songs and 3 quintessential Morrissey songs, six songs, total. There.

Although on average, it appears to be the most popular song among fans, does anyone actually consider it to be the purest example of Morrissey or The Smiths at their best? If you had to pick one song, what would it be?
Sorry if this has been covered before. I'm just curious. There are many songs I prefer, such as:

Paint a vulgar picture
Seasick, yet still docked
The last of the famous international playboys
Mountjoy
Speedway
Please, please, please let me get what I want
The boy with the thorn in his side

I could say more, but you get the general idea......

Although I understand that you would like to discuss favourite songs in here, but you should look up Mr Houdini's poll threads:

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threa...Part-196-THERE-IS-A-LIGHT-THAT-NEVER-GOES-OUT

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/83646-The-Moz-Smiths-Top-100-FINAL-RESULTS!!

Yep, it's the most popular Smiths song among the members around 2008 of this site.

There is more than 1 way to define favourite. Of course, standard way is using mean, median or mode.

The point of the question raised here - is that although it scored the highest average rating and is thus on AVERAGE the best loved song - if every fan where asked to list their individual favourite song, it would be interesting to see just how far down the list There Is A Light would fall.

My own favourite has always been What Difference Does It Make.....for what it's worth :)

To broaden it out, and instead of starting a new thread (as you all know I HATE doing that), name 3 quintessential Smiths songs and 3 quintessential Morrissey songs, six songs, total. There.

There Is A Light would have to be in the 3, I'd say along with I Know It's Over and TQID. Solo, Sunday for the early years, Tomorrow for the middle era and I can't really decide for the 21st century. Irish Heart maybe?

There Is A Light would have to be in the 3, I'd say along with I Know It's Over and TQID. Solo, Sunday for the early years, Tomorrow for the middle era and I can't really decide for the 21st century. Irish Heart maybe?

If we start off with the premise that it is a near-impossible, absolutely subjective, question - we can begin to answer it. For example, you made it slightly less near-impossible by breaking it down by eras. Now, my pick for the 21st Century is the winner of this poll: http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threa...avorite-MORRISSEY-single-of-the-21st-century?

Smiths: There Is A Light..., Shoplifters Of The World Unite, Still Ill, I Know It's Over (ties for third place are allowed but only for third place)

- gutted omissions: This Charming Man, The Boy With The Thorn In His Side, Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me -

Morrissey: Everyday Is Like Sunday, The Last Of The Famous International Playboys, First Of The Gang To Die

- less gutted omissions, but still gutted: Late Night, Maudlin Street, Now My Heart Is Full, Come Back To Camden -

Personal commentary on Staircase At The University - You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby

p.s. At 5 a.m. a b-side will wake me up and laugh in my face...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom