Is there another artist who commands such devotion?

majority of muscial artists or pop stars command the same devotion as morrissey.
met a women recently who was still really into Billy fury... goes to meeting with fellow fans.
also knew a guy at college who was such a fan of bowie he got a blue contact lense and a green on!!!!!
a secretary at work has pictures of oliva newton john on her desk.

also knew a guy at college who was such a fan of bowie he got a blue contact lense and a green on!!!!!

Haha classic. I'd love Bowie's eyes.

Morrissey is charisma personified. You can throw names into the hat like Bowie, McCartney, Bono, Michael Jackson etc, but has any other artiste had the phenomenon of armies of stage invaders - hysterical adult men and women (note: not the weeping teenage girls who stalked The Beatles back stage) desperate to get on stage to touch their idol? Not from my point of view.

Speaking of Bowie, isn't that why they fell out? Morrissey had the lion's share of a devoted audience back in 1995 when he supported David - and Bowie's 'fans' just stood there like statues looking completely unimpressed with the former Ziggy Stardust.

Siouxie Sioux has great stage presence - but would you want to touch her? Her prickly persona always deterred anyone from wanting to hug her or even shake her hand.

Morrissey is like the hypnotic guru who has got the whole concert audience in his outstretched hand. He inspires love and devotion from all his followers.

We should all greatful that he is still with us - providing us with his unique art and unique vision of the world. A world that without his presence just doesn't bear thinking about.

@bikubesong and Chartres: I miss The Homosexers. Bring them back now!

As for the main topic of the thread, well, frankly, no. There are a few bands and artists that have really, really devoted fans, but not in the same league as Morrissey. I think the main reason no one can match the devotion Moz creates is because Moz is so much better than everyone else. No matter who the frontman is, how much of a stage presence the band has, how enigmatic the band members are, or how engaging they are or nice to their fans they are, no one has the talent Moz has.

Last edited:
Speaking of Bowie, isn't that why they fell out? Morrissey had the lion's share of a devoted audience back in 1995 when he supported David - and Bowie's 'fans' just stood there like statues looking completely unimpressed with the former Ziggy Stardust.

i was talking to someone the other day who went to see bowie at wembley when morrissey was 'supporting'... they didn't see morrissey, but when they went to see bowie. a lot of the audience left (she was told later how brilliant morrissey was) and she too left because bowie insulted the audience by saying 'you can go and live under a stone if you think i'm playing old songs' (or something like that).
also i heard that bowie would come on singing the same song morrissey was playing, his idea... morrissey didn't like this, as he felt he couldn't say goodbye!

There's loads of artists that get the same devotion. The whole getting on stage thing only ever happened because Morrissey wanted it to happen. That's why it doesn't happen so much now, because he doesn't want it to.

A more pertinent question would be is there an artist that provokes so much abuse from people that call themselves fans?

I visit similar artists sites and I never see the same amount of criticism for them that Morrissey gets on here. I've also never heard of them getting the abuse at gigs that is often reported on here. Why do some of Morrissey's fans seem to dislike him?

There's loads of artists that get the same devotion.
A more pertinent question would be is there an artist that provokes so much abuse from people that call themselves fans?

I visit similar artists sites and I never see the same amount of criticism for them that Morrissey gets on here. I've also never heard of them getting the abuse at gigs that is often reported on here. Why do some of Morrissey's fans seem to dislike him?

Excellent post...got to say i've always wondered that myself...but probably a different debate which warrants a thread on it's own.

I am obsessed and devoted to Morrissey and Depeche Mode! :) Both have had the same life changing effect on my life.

Can you tell me why Depeche Mode have the same life changing effect on you as Morrissey? I'm not attacking you in any way I'm just interested to find out why as they've never struck me in any way the same... :)

Can you tell me why Depeche Mode have the same life changing effect on you as Morrissey? I'm not attacking you in any way I'm just interested to find out why as they've never struck me in any way the same... :)

Thank you for not attacking me :) They both have greatly changed my life, not in the same ways ofcourse as they are very different. But i dont know where or who i would be without any of them. As for explaining why I love DM, would take as long as describing why i love Morrissey. Like i mentioned before, they are completely different artists but i fell in love with not only DM's music but their history, their personalities, and well everything about them. They are amazing. They are the first band i discovered that effected my life, like morrissey effects others. If you go to a DM board its pretty much the same kind of appreciation as this board, with occasional negatives as well. ;)

Basically, if your really into a band/singer, and you're on the forum and you've got a few bootlegs and you've been around other fans, and seen the band/singer in concert a few times then you're gonna think that they have a loyal following.

Any musician that's done well for themselves has a loyal following :) (in my opinion)

Morrissey is charisma personified. You can throw names into the hat like Bowie, McCartney, Bono, Michael Jackson etc, but has any other artiste had the phenomenon of armies of stage invaders - hysterical adult men and women (note: not the weeping teenage girls who stalked The Beatles back stage) desperate to get on stage to touch their idol? Not from my point of view.

Siouxie Sioux has great stage presence - but would you want to touch her? Her prickly persona always deterred anyone from wanting to hug her or even shake her hand.

Morrissey is like the hypnotic guru who has got the whole concert audience in his outstretched hand. He inspires love and devotion from all his followers.

We should all greatful that he is still with us - providing us with his unique art and unique vision of the world. A world that without his presence just doesn't bear thinking about.

I agree completely. In my opinion, Morrissey is possibly the only artist who commands such devotion from his fans. He touches a place in people's minds with his lyrics and with his emotions that other artists rarely do, and certainly not to the same extent, and the fans (at least myself) feel they can relate to him. It becomes more than a song, or more than a quote, it becomes a motto and a lifestyle. I also think it is because he gives devotion back so easily. We've seen the hordes of adult men and women clamouring to get up onstage and hug him, but we've also seen him help to pull them up himself and run halfway round the stage after a desperate fan. Personally I love that he is grateful for the fans :)

Can't believe only one person's mentioned Michael Jackson...

Was watching something the other day, and a bit of footage came on from when he was in court in the last couple of years. They show the outside and tons of fans are there with banners etc!

And of course when he dangled the baby out of the window to show him to a crowd of fans outside.

Can't believe only one person's mentioned Michael Jackson...

Was watching something the other day, and a bit of footage came on from when he was in court in the last couple of years. They show the outside and tons of fans are there with banners etc!

And of course when he dangled the baby out of the window to show him to a crowd of fans outside.

Yeah... us Moz fans have a reputation for being rather obsessive, but I think some of Michael's are actually scary. I watched a few MJ videos on youtube and there were comments like "BOW DOWN" and whatever. I suggested that the fan was going slightly OTT, and was promptly told to DIE AND CATCH AIDS OR CANCER YOU SCUM. Perhaps the trial and the child molestation charges only served to make the fan's devotion fiercer, because so many people were against him and they felt the need to protect - however, wishing death on someone because they don't like your chosen musical icon is something I find difficult to understand.

Back
Top Bottom