Is there a chance Morrissey's Autobiography will be adapted to a movie?

Ben Katz

It's all there in the title...I did a search on this forum and couldn't find any specific discussions....

It's all there in the title...I did a search on this forum and couldn't find any specific discussions....

It would be a very interesting movie, the story of a man from Manchester who finally meets his idol Al Martino!

Can you imagine it? At least an hour of it would be the court room scene.

james-franco-laughing

Well they adapted "Planet of the Apes", so don't see why not. :)

It would be nice if Steve McQueen could direct it. He knows all about suffering.

Salford life in the 60's-70's was a bit grim, I know I was there as well, regular canings, and beatings at schools, and on the streets of Manchester. Lots more violence then round town than now., and a generally grim outlook on life, but not suffering, sorry to bust the bubble but our Moz is, and reading Autobiography has always been a bit of a mard arse.

Salford life in the 60's-70's was a bit grim, I know I was there as well, regular canings, and beatings at schools, and on the streets of Manchester. Lots more violence then round town than now., and a generally grim outlook on life, but not suffering, sorry to bust the bubble but our Moz is, and reading Autobiography has always been a bit of a mard arse.

Ok...lots of snark, but is there anything "official" that has been put out there about a studio wanting to adapt the novel into a movie? Obviously, it would have to be adapted, but is it basically inevitable???

Ok...lots of snark, but is there anything "official" that has been put out there about a studio wanting to adapt the novel into a movie? Obviously, it would have to be adapted, but is it basically inevitable???

There's been nothing official as of yet but its possible. Who would play Morrissey? I saw Robert Pattinson in Water for Elephants and while watching it I thought that with vivid blue contacts and a cleft on his nose he would make a handsome Morrissey.

There's been nothing official as of yet but its possible. Who would play Morrissey? I saw Robert Pattinson in Water for Elephants and while watching it I thought that with vivid blue contacts and a cleft on his nose he would make a handsome Morrissey.

gag me... guy can act what so ever

gag me... guy can act what so ever

Yeah, I just thought he looked somewhat like him. Resembling Morrissey is one thing but to actually portray him would be another. It would have to be someone really talented.

And it can’t be someone who just looks like him from afar like watching one of his tribute bands. He would have to be a mirror image of him or it won’t work.

Last edited:

What "Salford life" is this then?

I've always thought that with blue contacts Joseph Gordon-Levitt could pull him off. I think making a movie of Autobiography would be so interesting and likely a very good flick.

tumblr_m7sc77T8dC1qbpe7ao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ln9befAHMp1qgv0c8o1_500.jpg

I hope they don't. They can't make that wonderful literature good on screen. Besides do we want to watch a long dragged out court case with a daft Morrissey lookalike?

the short answer?
no :straightface:
why?
so many reasons, but just a few of the top of my head?
1. he would never sell the rights :head-smack: merely be honored to be asked :rolleyes:
2. he would invariably get into some dispute with the makers of the film :drama:
3. none of that would matter though if he did not appeal to a larger part of the film going audience studios are after :nopity:
4. is related to all of the above, there will likely eventually be more than one Moz biopic, only once he is no longer with us :eek:
because then the story will have an "ending", his "celebrity value" will have gotten a big bump & one need no longer fear him suing them and what not :o

by the way, the view expressed above is not my values, just what I witnessed in my years working away in the horror that is the HelLA entertainment biz :sick:
not that I'm bitter :cool:
:lbf:

Will Autobiography become a movie?

Just wondering if there has been any talk of his book being made into a movie...much like was done for Control...
I'd be interested.

I'd be REALLY interested to see a documentary done about Morrissey though....One where they aren't just talking to a bunch of his contemporaries. ..an actual doc where he's followed around and we get to see what makes Morrissey who is ultimately is...

Re: Will Autobiography become a movie?

Just wondering if there has been any talk of his book being made into a movie...much like was done for Control...
I'd be interested.

I'd be REALLY interested to see a documentary done about Morrissey though....One where they aren't just talking to a bunch of his contemporaries. ..an actual doc where he's followed around and we get to see what makes Morrissey who is ultimately is...

I’d rather see a documentary than the book in film form.

Back
Top Bottom