Is the HIG Negative Sleeve on EBay Genuine?

Serious,

Could you photographed the markings on the run-out on your Meat Is Murder 12"? It would put everyone's mind at rest as to the authenticity of it.

I have a genuine copy and can confirm exactly what is supposed to be there (apart from the 'Our Souls Our Souls Our Souls' bit).

Thank you

Well, you are a new registsred user, 2 only posts, both on this topic, both today. :cool:
First prove you do actually have it, post a photo of the runout groove and then I'll be happy to do it.

>And in fact I wrote it to see if he owns the physical tape indeed. If he does >have it Warner will officially release it.

This is absolute nonsense. Warner hasn't released the Troy Tate demos. How on Earth can you unequivocally state that Warner will release a mixed version of the Decibel demos?

Why? I do not want to mention his name here, I do not know if he would appreciate it but I'm going to send you a private message with the full email I got from this music producer working at Warner Music. Please you can verify if the email is true, you can even call him, I do not have his work phone number but I do not believe it's so hard to obtain. But please do not post his name here. Again do anything you want to verify it.

4dcej4l.jpg

thought you might say that.

Now you post a similar pic with the catalogue number please.

And yes I am new here. Drawn in by this fascinating thread.

Last edited:
>And in fact I wrote it to see if he owns the physical tape indeed. If he does >have it Warner will officially release it.

This is absolute nonsense. Warner hasn't released the Troy Tate demos. How on Earth can you unequivocally state that Warner will release a mixed version of the Decibel demos? The more I listen to you rant, the less I believe that your records are credible. Koen is a well-known Morrissey trader (see Thanks section on passionsjustlikemine), so I believe his word at face value. Yours, not so much.

You have a PM

Why did you mask the label????????

it's a white label rather than the Mayking one. I had to position myself under a light to get the grooves to show up, for some reason it came out black. I have other pics like this one:

Last edited:
why not just digitally post them here on solo so the true Smiths fans can enjoy them, instead of trying to retain them? Should these gems not be enjoyed by the people who can appreciate them?

Because he paid a handsome sum for them, not us. Communism is dead.

I met Koen a number of years ago. He was fairly close to some members of Moz's band, as well. I'd take anything he had to say as truth.

this kind of thing seems to haunt The Smiths and their fans. There does seem to be a scarcity of circulating audio rarities from the band, is this why?

This kind if threat is nonsense as Koen has every right to own the actual physical demos, though not necessarily the right to publish the contents of the tapes. Having said that, since there's a cover version on there this would take it out of the hands of The Smiths and their publisher if you were so inclined.

Koen, just to clarify, the Decibel demos you have consist of the original 16(?) track multitrack reel, which would be unmixed and unproduced? Did you do a security copy onto a digital format?

Hi,
In response to your question, yes indeed, the Decibel demos I have consist of the original 16 (!) track one inch multitrack reel, which is unmixed/unproduced. It's an Ampex tape. I have a written agreement with Dale Hibbert.

Actually, there was a problem with this tape. I collected it in Manchester, at Dale's home. When I came home there seemed to be a problem playing this tape. I was glad I met an experienced studio engineer in Belgium who had the proper equipment to play such tapes. However, the moment we started to play it, he felt something was wrong. He said that Ampex tapes from the early eighties were known for 'humidity problems', which resulted in the tape getting 'sticked' to the tape heads. Obviously Dale knew this, hence the reason why he sold the stuff (the tape had become unplayable). The studio engineer advised me to contact Ampex in the UK. So I did. They were of course aware of this problem and invited me to come over and have the tape restored. This took 3 days. Back in Belgium, I transferred the analogue tape to a mixable digital medium. The original restored analogue tape was sealed (vacuum) after I made the digital safety copy. I then used the digital media to produce a couple of mixes out of it. Believe me, mixing these tracks in a studio is a one of a kind experience.

This Ampex tape contains the earliest versions (1982!) of The Hand That Rocks The Cradle and Suffer Little Children. As opposed to what I read above here, there's no cover version involved. You maybe refer to the tape with the Cookies' "I Want A Boy For My Birthday". This is on a different tape (cassette tape)! This was supposedly recorded in Johnny's bedroom on a simple 2 or 4 track recorder. It's just Morrissey voice and Marr guitar. The quality is very very good. I had it tuned a bit in the studio (where I mixed the other stuff) and now it really sounds incredible.

So now we come to the supposedly legal section of this adventure. Ownership of the tape is clear. Dale Hibbert transferred the ownership of the reel tape to me. The content is of course protected, because such protection concerns tunes, melodies, lyrics, etc. That's why I contacted this Italian guy because I thought he knew a broad network of collectors. As said, such an item ideally passes from collector to collector. So all his bullying with copyrights and whatever was just plain theatre.

I know that a lot of people here have been waiting to hear these tunes, which I can understand of course. However, the ones that yell hardest, I invite them to work very hard and save a lot of money as I did and then release these songs as MP3s on yousendit or so. The time has come, I'd like to transfer this 'responsability' to someone else. So, those who feel a certain urge, please contact me. Another way could be Warner, I'll think about that one. Fernando from Italy can always pass me the details of this Warner guy that contacted him, but for some strange reason didn't contact me yet!

I'm sure there are plenty of questions more, so please shoot...

With the number of visitors to this site, I'm sure a main page appeal for donations could raise whatever your asking price was (within reason) though I suppose that actually making it available would be illegal *sigh*

As a fan I would ask that you try and contact Warners to hopefully sell the tape to them at a price that would be okay with you. Since, it's more likely that they'll release the recordings at some point, than some fan pays £10,000 to just release the recordings to the community.

Guys, this is the craziest, most confusing, fasinating, annoying and down right silly thread i've ever read on this site. I'm absolutely loving it!!!!!!! I haven't a clue about most of the intimate details about pressings etc. but i have to admire all of the passion here. Keep at it guys, this is great stuff indeed. I'm sure others like me are also enjoying it. Don't get pissed at me - like most who post here the sums of money being discussed on this thread seem obscene to me but keep it up, nine days and counting, I haven't been so entertained in a long time.

Now, I realise that there are some serious issues at stake but this whole "you show me yours and i'll show you mine" kind of stuff is really amusing. Loving it!

Koen,

I implore you to contact Warner and really do what's best for the whole of The Smiths community and have this officially released.
This is musical history, GOLD.

If this isn't possible, then I wouldn't mind donating to a collecting fund here on Morrissey-Solo in which David Tseng would be our representative to pay you and have these treasures then passed on to the fans who made it possible.

Oh man...... my fingers literally tremble at the thought...

I would also contribute £10. So would many other fans. If it was a case of simply collecting koen's asking price, then I have no doubt that could be accomplished by a main page appeal on Morrissey-Solo, simply because of the number of visitors to this site. the donations could go to davidt, who could then buy the tapes personally using that money, becoming the legal owner of the tapes.

However, I'm unclear on whether the copyright can be sold? Would it be legal for the legal owner of these tapes, to make and distribute copies of the recordings?

If so, then yes I think the 'main page appeal' idea would be viable, though it would be dependant on the support of davidt, the webmaster.

Im in for 100 biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllllllllion dollars.

j/k but i would kick in $100 USD to aid in purchasing these should it come to that.

BR

I have a question Koen!

How many other songs appear on the Decibel tape, and what are they?
Also, are there some pretty interesting changes (lyrically, or musically) from them to what they eventually become?

And which tracks are on the bedroom cassette other than the cover? Anything pretty different on there?

Thanks again, this all I've been thinking about for the past few days.

Back
Top Bottom