Is Morrissey's fashion sense as good as his music?

Fulham Road Lights

Ill-adjusted
We all know the guy can write a tune, but would you also call him your fashion icon? I do like his style, but I think the best-dressed man in popular culture is Nick Cave. Anyway, discuss.

yellowCard.jpg

For having a potentially Frink-related discussion outside of the Frink thread.

Good question.

Nothing is as good as Morrissey's music; Morrissey isn't as good as his music. ;)

Still, in the early days his personal style was as strong as his words. Since then he's maintained his own inimitable look, and I think he's one of the only grown men alive who can manage to rock a belly knot (cue Frinkers).

As for Nick Cave - I think he and Morrissey are pretty evenly matched in the style department. Morrissey takes a few more risks, though.

Some of Morrissey's fashion in The Smiths has influenced fashion now, so yes, it is!

Good question.

Nothing is as good as Morrissey's music; Morrissey isn't as good as his music. ;)

As for Nick Cave - I think he and Morrissey are pretty evenly matched in the style department. Morrissey takes a few more risks, though.

IMHO Morrissey's style is million times better than Nick Cave who started growing mustache now looks like a 70s Spaguetti western villain.

Since 90s Morrissey adopted classic Hollywood movie star's look.

Still perfer his pink shirt with white spots on in The Smiths though :p
Edit: And his James Dean specs! They're still around now!

The Smiths are untouchable and so are all Morrissey's clothes from that period, don't forget he was on loads of magazine covers!

Sometimes his fashion sense could be said to be inversely proportional to his music.

IMHO Morrissey's style is million times better than Nick Cave who started growing mustache now looks like a 70s Spaguetti western villain.

Since 90s Morrissey adopted classic Hollywood movie star's look.

Y'know, I'm not sure whether Cave still has that tache. I'm gonna see him in September so I'll definitely know then. I liked it anyway, for what it's worth. The guy is such a good-looking man, and for me the absolute height of cool. His suits are impeccable. He hasn't changed much over the years (apart from his wild hair in the Birthday Party years), whereas I don't think Morrissey is nearly as cool now as he was in the 80s and 90s.

Morrissey and Nick Cave are classy but some others too (with or without moustache):

coyne.jpg

Wayne Coyne

MichaelStipe_Kambouris_16536026.jpg

Micheal Stipe

svcohen24b.jpg

Leonard Cohen

rufus-wainwright-WI-0907-lg.jpg

Rufus Wainwright

Personally, I don't like the stache either, but that's Nick Cave's thing - he's perfectly sleazy.

Re: Nick Cave

I think Moz 2002-2004 era was particularly good fashion-wise. The shirts & blazers & cardigans were awesome. And the unbuttoned double-cuffed shirts of the 2002 tour were also awesome.

I'm probably very much against the tide when I say that his recent obsession with ghastly bright coloured shirts, t-shirts and jeans make him look like someone's dad trying to be cool. The shirts & blazers gave him a certain elegance, perfect for his age.

So in conclusion; no, his fashion isn't as good as his music.

He does look good in it though,but then again,I thought I looked good in a hairy puple mohair jumper,burgundy trousers,grey leg warmers and black suede winkle-pickers.
Oh ,and a quiff that would take your eye out.

Mmmm, sexy.....do you still have a quiff?

Back
Top Bottom