Is Morrissey still a fan of Boxing?

Ugly Devil

Morrissey had a thing for boxing in the mid 90s with the single boxers and then Southpaw Grammar. Does he still follow it? Wonder if he watches UFC or Bellator MMA.

Morrissey had a thing for boxing in the mid 90s with the single boxers and then Southpaw Grammar. Does he still follow it? Wonder if he watches UFC or Bellator MMA.
Nope, but he's a fan of "Boing".

Morrissey History X.

I have a hard time envisioning him watching ufc as it’s just so ugly and short and doesn’t have even the moderate romanticism the characters boxers were made into

if the boxers are cute enough, sure, why not.

;)

I reckon he sure is a fan of Lucha Libre wrestling at the Mayan every week and of course The California Son's favouuuurite sport basketball and his belouuuuuuuved LA Clippers inn nn nn nnnnnnnn nnnn it c*** tit chipper curry.

Steve Basket.jpg

Singer Morrissey leaves Soundgarden concert g7FRNrwVMvLl.jpg

In an interview given to Jools Holland in 1995 Morrissey answered the question "Who's your favourite boxer?" with "A boxer called Cornelius Carr."

Saw a Boxing match at the York Hall Bethanl Green a bit before Moz did the vid for Boxers there. Funnily enough, a later gf went there for her keep fit.

Haha funnily enough I've just been getting into The Wedding present. They're kinda like an English "Pavement."
But much better of course. I've seen Pavement live once supporting Sonic Youth in Stockholm and it must have been in 1992 or something and that old drummer Pavement had was so stoned he handed out raw spaghetti to me and other people in the crowd when their set was over.

Have no idea how he managed to perform at all. On top of that some Stockholm lads recognised me from the Nirvana gig earlier that year so yeah it was in 1992.

I can't see him being interested in that MMA garbage. All it's missing is the tossing in of red meat for the animals to scrap over.

Last edited:
I can't see him being interested in that MMA garbage. All it's missing is a tossing in of red meant for the animals to scrap over.
MMA events in Sweden is the perfect place for cops to arrest criminals and the swedish police admitted that just the other week.

Saw a Boxing match at the York Hall Bethanl Green a bit before Moz did the vid for Boxers there. Funnily enough, a later gf went there for her keep fit.

Great venue that. Great for boxing matches - I saw Ricky Hatton fight Jon Thaxton there. Thrilling fight that was meant to be a walkover for Hatton, and was anything but. Amazing atmosphere. York Hall also has a pool. Swimming was one of Moz's enthusiasms circa 1997.

As for his boxing interest - I think that may have been Jake's influence. Moz was ringside at one of Chris Eubank's fights. He admired Eubank, calling him 'a fantastic machine'. That was at the tail-end of a great era in British boxing, with Nigel Benn and the ill-fated Michael Watson (arguably the most talented of the three middleweights) , and Lennox Lewis.

Moz probably fancied Cornelius Carr, because he wasn't particularly memorable in the ring. Carr lost to the spirited but technically crude Steve Collins and then faded. Nice bloke though.

Back
Top Bottom