Is Johnny dancing barefoot?

ZOOM FROM GLOOM

LASCIATE OGNI SPERANZA!
Don’t know if this has been mentioned, and people have already noted the similarities between the strings on There is a Light and Marr’s solo song Hi Hello.

But I also hear another Smith influence, that being Patti Smith with her song Dancing Barefoot. (Smith/Kral)

He's acknowledged it in an interview, I think Mojo, during the press for Call the Comet. Both lovely tunes.

Yes and on johnny's new album there is a song that has an almost identical part to "stop me if you..... (Smiths.)

Uh very similar the musical part of hello hello where Marr runs with the guitar and a part of patty Smith's song I had not heardUh very similar the musical part of hello hello where Marr runs with the guitar and a part of patty Smith's song I had not heard Copiado!!!!! Robado It was copied, I steal it haha

"Talent Borrows, Genius Steals"​

"Famously etched on the B-side of the UK 7" and 12" vinyl release of The Smiths' single "Bigmouth Strikes Again" (a B-side song on the classic The Queen is Dead), the quote in the subject line (credited to Oscar Wilde) sums up singer Morrissey's feelings on the place of plagiarism in music and art."

Assuming Marr approved at the time as well.

It's not plagiarism - it's intertexuality. You're meant to know Morrissey's influences & it adds to the layers of meaning.

It's the same with music.

Plagiarism is when all you're doing is copying.

:)

the lyrics are classic :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: sucy gibberish:lbf:

HELLO!!
stop
BYE BYE!!!
stop
HI!!
stop
HELLO and GOODBYE!!🌋

:hammer:

I am not really into Patti Smith, but I did see her in the mid 90s and she was fantastic, obviously. I love this song and I even like U2's cover of it.
I can't listen to Johnny after listening to the legend, Patti, it seems wrong, so I could not compare.

"Talent Borrows, Genius Steals"​

"Famously etched on the B-side of the UK 7" and 12" vinyl release of The Smiths' single "Bigmouth Strikes Again" (a B-side song on the classic The Queen is Dead), the quote in the subject line (credited to Oscar Wilde) sums up singer Morrissey's feelings on the place of plagiarism in music and art."

Assuming Marr approved at the time as well.

Then I guess we could say.....

"Marr Borrows, Morrissey Steals"​

:cool:

Uh very similar the musical part of hello hello where Marr runs with the guitar and a part of patty Smith's song I had not heardUh very similar the musical part of hello hello where Marr runs with the guitar and a part of patty Smith's song I had not heard Copiado!!!!! Robado It was copied, I steal it haha
Yes! I also heard the similarity right away...& then the JM song went a different direction...and then it returned to the Patti Smith song guitar melody again! Weird blatant imitation.
But after wavering back and forth on the topic of musical copying/ inspirations??... Here's where I have landed🙂⬇️

Oh geez, back to Johnny Marr again! What is it with you all’s obsession with him?

Why are you so obsessed with us and what we talk about?
Here is a handful of possible reasons:
" When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that all the dunces are in confederacy against him. "
~ Jonathan Swift
" Although I am a typical loner in daily life, my consciousness of belonging to the invisible community of those who strive for truth, beauty, and justice has preserved me from feeling isolated. "
~ Albert Einstein
" It takes a great deal of courage to see the world in all its tainted glory, and still to love it. "
~ Oscar Wilde
" The finest souls are those who have gulped pain and avoided making others taste it. "
~unknown

Oh... and in regards to the continuous calling out how bizarre JM's rock star posturing IS....
" We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be. "
~ Kurt Vonnegut
And this great quote which punctuates the vital contrast between Morrissey's character and Marr's facade....A lesson for all of us!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220309-215011.png
    Screenshot_20220309-215011.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Yes! I also heard the similarity right away...& then the JM song went a different direction...and then it returned to the Patti Smith song guitar melody again! Weird blatant imitation.
But after wavering back and forth on the topic of musical copying/ inspirations??... Here's where I have landed🙂⬇️

I agree. And pointing out the similarities was not to criticize him negatively.

It’s just that Hi Hello seems to pop up when people talk about what Marr solo songs sound Smiths-like.

But I never see people commenting
that Hi Hello sounds like, or was inspired by Patti Smith’s Dancing Barefoot, which is far more obvious than saying that it sounds Smiths-like.

For me, it goes to show that Johnny still needs a visionary front-person
(Patti Smith in this case) to inspire him to come up with something that’s half decent to listen to.

And let’s not forget that Patti Smith’s Kimberly was also an influence on Johnny’s writing of The Hand That Rocks The Cradle.

It's God's Gift - the one apparently about Morrissey. It's not got much of a lyric when you listen to it! He just says "I get it" a lot.

Listened, and I don’t really hear ‘Stop Me’ in it. The heavy chords in the intro, etc actually remind me of
some Morrissey songs, lol.

Lyrically I don’t see the ‘it’s about Moz’ angle, I guess a listener could see it if they wanted to. Seems to be more about him loosing faith in someone or thing, maybe.

Listened, and I don’t really hear ‘Stop Me’ in it. The heavy chords in the intro, etc actually remind me of
some Morrissey songs, lol.

Lyrically I don’t see the ‘it’s about Moz’ angle, I guess a listener could see it if they wanted to. Seems to be more about him loosing faith in someone or thing, maybe.

I wondered if you thought Johnny's song "Human" might be about Morrissey. As in Johnny's favorite Smiths lyric, "I am human and I need to be loved".

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom