Is Jackie about Brexit, Britain, or not?

He has to say no it isn't, because the moment he does say it might be, the line about being blacker than ever before looks even more sinister. So don't expect any admissions anytime soon.

I guess you guys probably have to think twice now when you ask the missus what she did today and she says "Oh, nothing much. Just took in some BBC."

Haha! You're still manipulating the sounds so they reaffirm what you think you heard. In the context of the lyrics it really doesn't make sense to suddenly shout Brexit.

I really don't think Mozzer is racist or right wing. Wanting to preserve your culture and heritage shouldn't be interpreted as such.
How am I manipulating the sound by slowing it down? I'm not changing what has been recorded, I'm just listening more closely.

How am I manipulating the sound by slowing it down? I'm not changing what has been recorded, I'm just listening more closely.

Slowing or speeding up audio changes how it sounds. If you slow something down you can sound like a demon, speeding it up can make it sound like a chipmunk. That's manipulating the sound, no?

You should try and help yourself to 'feel' sensibly. Uncle Skinny a racist? With all the openly unpleasant views we see here on Solo?
We all should be obsessed with racism. It is a foul and disgusting thing that our ancestors will look back upon as we look upon capital punishment (sorry USA. Don't worry one day you'll catch up).

I just have to laugh a little out of pity when you English think you're anything more than the equivalent of the captain of the Titanic.

Slowing or speeding up audio changes how it sounds. If you slow something down you can sound like a demon, speeding it up can make it sound like a chipmunk. That's manipulating the sound, no?
He voice doesn't sound any different. You can hear what he is saying clearer slowed down that is all.

Make a list, wtf. Do i look like i care that much. You're like a child wandering off in the wrong direction, funny and amusing at first but then i feel obliged to give you a little whistle and point u straight. Its not about brexit and you probably know it by know, Just accept you're way off the mark. :kissingheart:

Nah mate, you asserted that some folk said the Brexit was mentioned by word in the song, and I'm asking you to name them and link to those claims. Otherwise, you're making it up, and asking us to chase something that doesn't exist. The rest is just opinion, which you're entitled to - you're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

I just have to laugh a little out of pity when you English think you're anything more than the equivalent of the captain of the Titanic.
Hi Viva, what a strange thing to say. I have no nautical experience at all and could not claim any leadership qualities so the idea of running a ship is completely alien to me.
Was it the bit about state murder that put your nose out of joint? It was only a little joke although I would never have thought of you as pro death penalty.

Nah mate, you asserted that some folk said the Brexit was mentioned by word in the song, and I'm asking you to name them and link to those claims. Otherwise, you're making it up, and asking us to chase something that doesn't exist.

Well, there's one poster on this thread who thinks so...

Do you not think it's convenient that Brexit is being said at the end of the song? Would seem really strange to have it in there for no reason?

Well, there's one poster on this thread who thinks so...
I wasn't the first person on here to mention they heard it (are we talking about the BBC show?)

Claiming the song is about Brexit because that rhymes with "exit" is not the most convincing lit crit I've ever come across. A cursory glance over the lyrics doesn't support it. If Jacky is the UK then Brexit is certainly bad for her/it. According to this reading Morrissey's stance on Brexit would be ambivalent at worst, if not entirely negative - which is precisely the reverse of what people like Skinny were stating was the case.

I wasn't the first person on here to mention they heard it (are we talking about the BBC show?)

Who knows. You'll have to ask Skinny as he is the one arguing nobody here has said Brexit is being sung.

Nah mate, you asserted that some folk said the Brexit was mentioned by word in the song, and I'm asking you to name them and link to those claims. Otherwise, you're making it up, and asking us to chase something that doesn't exist.

Claiming the song is about Brexit because that rhymes with "exit" is not the most convincing lit crit I've ever come across. A cursory glance over the lyrics doesn't support it. If Jacky is the UK then Brexit is certainly bad for her/it. According to this reading Morrissey's stance on Brexit would be ambivalent at worst, if not entirely negative - which is precisely the reverse of what people like Skinny were stating was the case.
I have never claimed I think the song is about brexit just because it rhymes with exit. I heard him say brexit when he sang it on the BBC. No other thought about the song actually being about the UK or brexit crossed my mind. Then somebody on here posted this:

Here's a rundown of one possible meaning behind the lyrics of 'Jacky' (I'm using the incomplete version of the lyrics which has been posted online):

Jacky's always happy when she's up on the stage [Jacky = Union Jack = Britain. Up on stage = powerful on the world stage; being centre of attention, making waves, leading the way with others following along behind.]
I make this claim now let me explain
Since she lost you [a loss of national sovereignty and being in control of its own affairs.]
Jacky's always happy when she's up on the stage
She's [?] the truth of make believe [Make believe = Britain has been in a state of denial about its loss of influence and relevance, and about cultural changes morphing it into a place beyond recognition.]
Since she lost you
She is determined to prove
How she can build up the pain
Of every lost and lonely day

She'll make you believe what you'll never believe
Since she lost you
Jacky's only Jacky when she's up on the stage [Being conquerors, innovators, and being at the head of the pack is how Britain made its name; it isn't Britain when it goes quiet and fades into the background or since it became just another country in an 'ever closer union'.]
Since she lost you
How she can build up the pitch
Of every lost and lonely day [Determined to prove, to themselves and to the world, that what has been lost can be regained.]

Queue lights I am singing to my lover at night [the lover is the country; daydreaming and waxing lyrical about what the country used to be and could be again.]
Scene two everyone who comes must go [The crass explanation is that immigrants/refugees must be sent back to their countries of origin. It could also be a reference to death and therefore cultural change/loss.]
Scene four it's blacker than ever before [a metaphor for the bleak fate of Britain, the more crass reading here is that it refers to the ethnic make-up of a sizable percentage of the new arrivals. It could be either, or both (or neither).]
Scene six this country is making me sick [see scene four]

Jacky cracks when she isn't on stage [societal breakdown]
Seen the effects of sexual neglect [sexual neglect = native Britons not having enough children of their own, with birth rates below replacement level?]
No script, to crew, no autocue
No audience telling her what to do [breaking free of 'experts', media, celebrities, and politicians dictating to them the direction in which the country should go; henceforth going it alone.]
Exit, exit
Everybody's heading to the exit, exit
Everybody's running to the exit, exit
[The people have had enough of the current state of affairs and are taking steps towards determining their own destiny again. Exit = Brexit.]

I have never claimed I think the song is about brexit just because it rhymes with exit. I heard him say brexit when he sang it on the BBC. No other thought about the song actually being about the UK or brexit crossed my mind. Then somebody on here posted this:

Here's a rundown of one possible meaning behind the lyrics of 'Jacky' (I'm using the incomplete version of the lyrics which has been posted online):

Jacky's always happy when she's up on the stage [Jacky = Union Jack = Britain. Up on stage = powerful on the world stage; being centre of attention, making waves, leading the way with others following along behind.]
Since she lost you [a loss of national sovereignty and being in control of its own affairs.]
She's [?] the truth of make believe [Make believe = Britain has been in a state of denial about its loss of influence and relevance, and about cultural changes morphing it into a place beyond recognition.]
Since she lost you

Since she lost you
Jacky's only Jacky when she's up on the stage [Being conquerors, innovators, and being at the head of the pack is how Britain made its name; it isn't Britain when it goes quiet and fades into the background or since it became just another country in an 'ever closer union'.]
Since she lost you
Of every lost and lonely day [Determined to prove, to themselves and to the world, that what has been lost can be regained.]

Queue lights I am singing to my lover at night [the lover is the country; daydreaming and waxing lyrical about what the country used to be and could be again.]
Scene two everyone who comes must go [The crass explanation is that immigrants/refugees must be sent back to their countries of origin. It could also be a reference to death and therefore cultural change/loss.]
Scene four it's blacker than ever before [a metaphor for the bleak fate of Britain, the more crass reading here is that it refers to the ethnic make-up of a sizable percentage of the new arrivals. It could be either, or both (or neither).]

Seen the effects of sexual neglect [sexual neglect = native Britons not having enough children of their own, with birth rates below replacement level?]
No audience telling her what to do [breaking free of 'experts', media, celebrities, and politicians dictating to them the direction in which the country should go; henceforth going it alone.]
Exit, exit
[The people have had enough of the current state of affairs and are taking steps towards determining their own destiny again. Exit = Brexit.]

Yes, I read that when it was posted and found it interesting. I just don't think the idea holds up to too much lyrical scrutiny. There are too many inconsistencies in this reading. Plus, Morrissey has repeatedly stated it's not about Brexit. The idea that it is a self-portrait and he is Jacky seems far more likely to me.

Yes, I read that when it was posted and found it interesting. I just don't think the idea holds up to too much lyrical scrutiny. There are too many inconsistencies in this reading. Plus, Morrissey has repeatedly stated it's not about Brexit. The idea that it is a self-portrait and he is Jacky seems far more likely to me.
Would you consider this? He was able to write a song that he could combine two different meanings. Possibly one for show, and another with the true meaning. Or even a 3rd. Both combined ?

Since she lost you

Since she lost you
Since she lost you

Exit, exit

That was 'Born To Harangue's' post, i wouldnt pay much attention to it, it's the definition of clutching at straws. The sexual neglect part is f***in ridiculous, what sort of mind drums up ideas like that.

That was 'Born To Harangue's' post, i wouldnt pay much attention to it, it's the definition of clutching at straws. The sexual neglect part is f***in ridiculous, what sort of mind drums up ideas like that.
Some of it does make sense though. And what with 'Brexit' in it at the end (YES I KNOW! I KNOW!) :D it gives it a bit more legitimacy. I think the exterior of this song does not match the interior. Friends? :cool:

For the 50th time, it's about his life partner Nancy. Stop trying to make everything Malibu Steve does sound foreign or about a kickball team in Yerope. Nancy even helped him design the video.

He has to say no it isn't, because the moment he does say it might be, the line about being blacker than ever before looks even more sinister. So don't expect any admissions anytime soon.

Sure! Morrissey always hold his tongue! My goodness...

Back
Top Bottom