Is it too soon to talk about IANADOAC?

Why is Bobby so hated? Genuine question, I've only been on the forum a few weeks despite being a huge fan for a decade, always liked the song!
It's not hated by everyone, by any means, and plenty of people like it.

Personally, I enjoy the fact that it's different and that Morrissey took a chance by recording a duet with a singer from a different genre.

very good album,bit of electro,bit of 80s,bit of soul,its a bit of a something for everyone.
might not be the best lyrically although it does have its moments,good production,voice is excellent.

Why is Bobby so hated? Genuine question, I've only been on the forum a few weeks despite being a huge fan for a decade, always liked the song!
He was said to have explored his limits and left the comfort zone on IANADOAC. That doesn't always have to be good to hear in terms of the result. On this record, iBpbby is simply an absurd pandering to a US market, that hasn't existed like this for over 30 years. A sultry dance floor slider with an old disco diva. Please!

He was said to have explored his limits and left the comfort zone on IANADOAC. That doesn't always have to be good to hear in terms of the result. On this record, iBpbby is simply an absurd pandering to a US market, that hasn't existed like this for over 30 years. A sultry dance floor slider with an old disco diva. Please!
I think that's what I love about the song, it's a bit soulful almost. I like hearing him do something different. Each to their own!

With decent lyrics, “Bobby” could have been a modern classic. Now it’s just meaningless gibberish over a cool beat.

Basically, I'd take Bobby off the album and replace it with Once upon the Womens Body. Although I don't know if this demo was made during Dog sessions. :unsure:

Rating: ( 1 -10 )

Jim Jim Falls - 8
Love Is On Its Way Out - 7
Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? - 2
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - 5
What Kind Of People Live In These Houses? - 6
Knockabout World - 6,5
Darling, I Hug A Pillow - 5
Once I Saw The River Clean -8
The Truth About Ruth - 4
The Secret Of Music - 6
My Hurling Days Are Done - 9

very good album,bit of electro,bit of 80s,bit of soul,its a bit of a something for everyone.
might not be the best lyrically although it does have its moments,good production,voice is excellent.

I think it featured some of his best vocal melodies in many years.

The title track is reminiscent of the Kill Uncle days, and even Knockabout World and Darling...took me back to the Bona Drag days.

All in all, it sounds like classic Morrissey yet at the same time, sounds new and fresh.

I think it featured some of his best vocal melodies in many years.

The title track is reminiscent of the Kill Uncle days, and even Knockabout World and Darling...took me back to the Bona Drag days.

All in all, it sounds like classic Morrissey yet at the same time, sounds new and fresh.
yip,agree with all of that.

I might give it a few spins today, it's been a while since I've really dug in. When it came out and lockdown had really kicked in in the UK I was taking trains to collect my daughter still, one of the only reasons you were still allowed to travel. So Dog On A Chain really reminds me of being the only person in the carriage, Brighton station being completely empty.

Well one other person agrees 👍🏻
Are you telling me that everyone on earth who might see it the same way must agree here?
Ouija Board is a revelation compared to Bobby. Most people know that.
I think that's what I love about the song, it's a bit soulful almost. I like hearing him do something different. Each to their own!
I really think you're wrong here, but of course the joy of this soulful "hit" is not taken away from you and your own.

9 x Fined said :​

WHAT? 😐

Really, hand on heart, honestly, I can't rate it higher :grimacing:

The rating of the tracks, three years after.

1. Jim - 6/10
2. Love Is 2/10
3. Bobby 3/10
4. Dog on 2/10
5. Houses 6/10
6. Knockabout 8/10
7. Darling 6/10
8. River 8.5/10
9. Ruth 2/10
10. Secret 9/10
11. Hurling 8/10

I'd go:

Jim Jim - 7
Love Is - 5
Bobby - 8
Dog on - 5
Houses - 6
Knockabout - 4
Darling - 5
River - 9
Ruth - 4
Secret - 4
Hurling - 8

1. Jim Jim Falls - 8/10. Great opener. Sounded great live in Leeds.
2. Love Is on Its Way Out - 6.5. Lovely melody but the lyrics are bit repetitive and simplistic.
3. Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? - 9.5/10. I adore this song and I adore Thelma Houston. Even my non-fan wife loves this one.
4. I Am Not a Dog on a Chain - 7/10. Interesting song, it's grown on me a lot.
5. What Kind of People Live in These Houses? - 8/10. Smithsy as heck, very catchy. Wish he'd sing it live.
6. Knockabout World -8.5/10. One of his catchiest singles ever. Simply a fantastic pop song and, again, sounds great live.
7. Darling, I Hug a Pillow - 8/10. Big fan of this one, the lyrics are quintessential Morrissey. Loving you is a trauma no one else should face, or sit still for.
8. Once I Saw the River Clean -10/10. Put simply, a masterpiece.
9. The Truth About Ruth - 6/10. The weakest song on the album, in my view, but a very nice vocal melody and nice message.
10. The Secret of Music - 7.5/10. This one divides opinion but I like that it's different. Great bass work from Mando.
11. My Hurling Days Are Done - 10/10. See no.8

Bobby is fantastic, it could be about hard drugs and sexuality at the same time. Both dangerous themes. For example, 'white mosquito' is apparently a slang term for the homosexual act of ejaculating in a man's rectum, then inserting a straw into the rectum to suck out the semen. It's always exciting when Morrissey explores such subjects. "Bobby, don't you think they know?" is such a powerful line. Some even say it could be pointing back to "Inspector, don't you know?" in LNMS, and we know that 'bobby' is a slang word for police inspector/constable in England. One source also made this beautiful video:

Back
Top Bottom