Is it too soon to talk about IANADOAC?

9 x Fined

nevermind
Well my vinyl copy only took 8 weeks to get here from the UK but so worth it.

I was thinking it may be my single favourite Morrissey album after 30(!) years as a fan.

In fact, River Clean was played at my mum's funeral late last year. Even the funeral director asked me the name of it. Bless him.

Thoughts on this near-masterpiece?

Is it #1 for anyone else?

Might be in my Top 3. I have a lot of affection for this album. Does it contain a perfect pop-single moment like Everyday is like Sunday or Irish Blood, English Heart? No.

Does in it include a magnificent torch ballad like Trouble Loves Me or Comeback To Camden? No.

But as a cohesive body of work, to my ears, it's almost faultless. It is the totality of the album which stands it in such strong steed. It deserves much more recognition than it got.

I think it's certainly his strongest since World Peace. It's not as bitter and dark sounding as Low In Highschool and has some great catchy moments. Surprisingly electronic sounding, lots of keyboards. It feels like a really long album though even though it's not?

I wonder had COVID not happened would the promotion have been different or any videos made?

Bonfire will sound very different from what we've heard, shorter tighter songs, less keys, emphasis back on catchy choruses.

It’s certainly way better than WPINOYB and LIHS. But other than that…I don’t know. It certainly hasn’t aged well, for me. When it was released, I thought it was his best album since ROTT, maybe even Quarry. Now I only truly like four songs (Secret, Knockabout, River, Hurling). I’m on the fence about three songs (Jim, Houses, Darling) and I immensely detest Bobby, Love Is, the title track and Ruth (all of them rank among his worst ever songs). This makes it a tough album to get through.

If I were to rank the Moz solo albums (excluding CS), it would look something like this:
1. Vauxhall
2. Maladjusted
3. YATQ
4. Your Arsenal
5. Southpaw Grammar
6. Viva Hate
7. ROTT
8. YOR
9. Kill Uncle
10. IANADOAC
11. WPINOYB
12. LIHS

I should say that I more or less love albums 1-9 and most of those rankings are subject to change to some extent.

These days, it's probably the album I listen to the least. Maybe I need to re-evaluate, because I know there are some really good tracks on that album, so posts like these serve a useful purpose in raising its profile. @9 x Fined , thanks for posting.

It's the album I listen to the most. I really like it.

Agree with previous the post that it probably doesn't have any of those truly spinetingling Morrissey moments but as an album, a really great listen. I love putting the album on, I really think Jim Jim Falls as track #1 really works as, despite the subject matter of the song, I find it really uplifting.

So sad for me , for us and for the universe , is that this LP was not promoted at all in concerts . Practically only Jim Jim and Knockabout are still on the setlist. River clean should be played as often as possible. As for the album as such, two songs from it are in my personal Morrissey's TOP 10 ever (Jim and Hurling Days) The album as a whole is very good, but it will never be a masterpiece. I hate packing of CD issue ( a thin cardboard, blurry lyrics visible under a magnifying glass, no booklet (!!!) , like a newspaper supplement, a f***ing shame ) and Thelma Houston voice on Bobby (which musically isn't that bad at all ) 6 out of 10 after all these years.

So sad for me , for us and for the universe , is that this LP was not promoted at all in concerts . Practically only Jim Jim and Knockabout are still on the setlist. River clean should be played as often as possible. As for the album as such, two songs from it are in my personal Morrissey's TOP 10 ever (Jim and Hurling Days) The album as a whole is very good, but it will never be a masterpiece. I hate packing of CD issue ( a thin cardboard, blurry lyrics visible under a magnifying glass, no booklet (!!!) , like a newspaper supplement, a f***ing shame ) and Thelma Houston voice on Bobby (which musically isn't that bad at all ) 6 out of 10 after all these years.
Once I Saw the River Clean was soooo good when they played it in 2020 or whenever that was. Wish he'd bring it back!

I think it still stands up as a strong album. Not among his very best, but a long way above the likes of Kill Uncle, Southpaw Grammar and Low in High School.

I'm in the process of revisiting older Morrissey albums and collections, and this is on the list. I can't say I've listened to the album straight through since 2020. As I'm sure many do, I associate this album with the start of COVID and all that meant due to the timing of the release.

From memory, I believe I thought about a third of the album was excellent, a third okay, and the other third pretty poor with a couple really bad tracks.

Surprised to see the lack of love for Bobby. I think it's a great track and Thelma Houston's voice works wonderfully with Morrissey's.
Love it.
He should bring her along again and have her re-record Miley's parts on Bonfire.

Surprised to see the lack of love for Bobby. I think it's a great track and Thelma Houston's voice works wonderfully with Morrissey's.
Love it.
He should bring her along again and have her re-record Miley's parts on Bonfire.
I love "Bobby" as well, it's a blast! Daft lyrics, an unlikely duet, and the band going nuts in the background at times...

Love it.
Yep, I agree it is a great track; very powerful musically, which is what drew me to it when it first came out.

I'd stop slightly short of saying it's a classic, but it's definitely the best album since Years of Refusal '.

Yes, it may be a little too early for some. Morrissey's albums are something you need to really absorb over time, and attitudes/tastes change, etc.

It's a really good album overall though, one that really stands out as unique amongst the albums that came after Maladjusted. A bit overproduced would be my only 'criticism', even with the beautiful horns on Hug A Pillow. His vocals sound great. There's always only one or two songs (tops) that I'll skip over on the majority of his releases. Occasionally, I skip over none.

I do think that this is a very accessible album though to keep newer fans. I thought that when it was released. It just offers a wide range of diverse material, styles.

He hasn't made a decent album since refusal. I had high hopes for Bonfire because i really like the latest Iggy pop album which had many of the same musicians and producer.

Now he has recorded a new album with Joe chiccarell who i think is a very poor producer, so im not holding much hope for the new one.

It's a very mixed, inconsistent album for me, but I love "Hurling Days..." and "River Clean". There are no instant pop classics in there but he isn't the same age now, he isn't the same kind of artist. I love Moz in storytelling mode, looking back on his roots, and this album gives us plenty of that.

Superb album. 'My Hurling Days are Done' and 'Once I Saw the River Clean' are as good a song as Morrissey has ever released. I love 'Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?' also, although I've noticed that it's not too popular on here. As an album it's neck and neck with Years of Refusal as my 5th favourite Morrissey album, which one I prefer just depends on the day.

Back
Top Bottom