Is it too soon to talk about IANADOAC?

Well my vinyl copy only took 8 weeks to get here from the UK but so worth it.

I was thinking it may be my single favourite Morrissey album after 30(!) years as a fan.

In fact, River Clean was played at my mum's funeral late last year. Even the funeral director asked me the name of it. Bless him.

Thoughts on this near-masterpiece?

Is it #1 for anyone else?

Condolences for your loss. I adore that track as well. No idea why it was only played live a handful of times.

Well I will be echoing what most people here have already said - I love it. Probably in my Morrissey top 5. His best since Years of Refusal for me, and just far, far superior to Low in High School. Unfortunately too much damage was done at this point and of course there was the pandemic too, which has meant the album is all but a footnote in general terms, but I do hope that he is fond of it (I think he is, given the live outings) and it is refreshing to see that a lot of the hardcore fanbase also loves it.

Jim Jim Falls - 8
Love Is On Its Way Out - 10
Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? - 8
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - 5
What Kind Of People Live In These Houses? - 8
Knockabout World - 9
Darling, I Hug A Pillow - 7
Once I Saw The River Clean - 8
The Truth About Ruth - 3
The Secret Of Music - 5
My Hurling Days Are Done - 10

This to do with the semen I think is very vulgar and therefore some (perhaps homophobic users) prefer to deny the facts. To them it's just two random words that somehow ended up together (white mosquito).

My ratings:
Jim Jim Falls 7
Love Is On Its Way Out 6.5
Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? 7
I Am Not a Dog on a Chain 5.5
What Kind of People Live in These Houses? 6
Knockabout World 6.5
Darling, I Hug a Pillow 5.5 (the trumpet ruins it for me)
Once I Saw the River Clean 7.5
The Truth About Ruth 6
The Secret of Music 6.5
My Hurling Days Are Done 7.5
(my average - 6.5/10)

The average ratings so far in this thread, including mine:

1. My Hurling Days Are Done - 8.3
2. Once I Saw the River Clean - 8.1
3. What Kind of People Live in These Houses? - 7.3
4. Jim Jim Falls - 7.3
5. Knockabout World - 6.9
6. Darling, I Hug a Pillow - 6.5
7. Love Is On Its Way Out - 6.2
8. Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? - 5.9
9. I Am Not a Dog on a Chain - 5.5
10. The Secret of Music - 5.3
11. The Truth About Ruth - 4.4
(average score for the album - 6.5/10)

Who liked the album the most from everyone who rated it?

1. Mick Daly - 8.1/10
2. 9 x Fined - 7.7/10
3. AtImber2022 - 7.4/10
4. ERT - 7.2/10
5. Flibberty & jmb066 tied - 7.1/10
7. Born to Harangue - 6.5/10
8. Mozzer1980 - 6.0/10
9. Pokey & uwotm8 tied - 5.9/10
11. Gregor Samsa - 5.5/10
12. spiritual atom bomb - 3.8/10

Last edited:
My ratings:
Jim Jim Falls 7
Knockabout World 6.5
The Truth About Ruth 6
The Secret of Music 6.5
(my average - 6.5/10)

4. Jim Jim Falls - 7.3

1. Mick Daly - 8.1/10
2. 9 x Fined - 7.7/10
3. AtImber2022 - 7.4/10
4. ERT - 7.2/10
8. Mozzer1980 - 6.0/10
Fantastic work. Thanks. Surprised to see my name on that list!

This to do with the semen I think is very vulgar and therefore some (perhaps homophobic users) prefer to deny the facts. To them it's just two random words that somehow ended up together (white mosquito).
I am not sure about the source for your interpretation of 'white mosquito', but it is a fact that it is included as slang for cocaine in the document "Slang Terms and Code Words" published by the DEA in 2017. Other slang words for cocaine used in the song are, for example, 'snow', 'blow' and 'toot', The document also lists 'Mexican mud', 'horse' and 'scag' as slang for heroin as well as 'A-bomb', which is apparently heroine mixed with marijuana. Fascinating stuff!: https://www.dea.gov/documents/2018/2018-07/2018-07-01/2018-slang-terms-and-code-words
In the context of the song, I find it much more likely that 'white mosquito' refers to cocaine, even more so if the song is indeed about Bobby Hatfield, who apparently of heart failure after using cocaine.

It's not just vulgar, it's nonsense. White mosquito is common slang for cocaine, as is snow and blow and many other words throughout the song. What kind of person gets their 'facts' from Urban dictionary? Calling users homophobic because they don't want to read theories from that online cesspit is just ridiculous.

Last edited:
Yes, it's even so common that if you google "White mosquito" you will get 0 hits to do with cocaine! A groundbreaking correlation.

Yes, it's even so common that if you google "White mosquito" you will get 0 hits to do with cocaine! A groundbreaking correlation.
You've broadened your research from Urban Dictionary to Google? That's pretty extensive 🤜🤛

I haven't done cocaine in about a decade (and likely won't again, given my advanced age of 49 and the prevalence of fentanyl in everything exotic), but SHOULD there ever be a time, I will definitely refer to it as white mosquito before, during, and after.

BH "apparently died in his sleep, hours before a scheduled Righteous Brothers concert. In January 2004, a toxicology report concluded that cocaine use had precipitated a fatal heart attack."

Last edited by a moderator:
It's got at least 5 genuinely great songs which makes it his finest album since Vauxhall.

Jim Jim Falls - 7, a sturdy tune but some duff lyrics and a grating arrangement
Love Is On Its Way Out - 9, a beauty. Classic Morrissey themes and a lovely tune
Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? - 9.5. Another brilliant song. A really original sound for Morrissey, love the gobbledegook lyrics and the line 'oh the pleasure you bring to us, oh whenever you sing for us' is one of his finest.
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - 3, a horrible song in every sense. A tragedy that the album was named after it.
What Kind Of People Live In These Houses? - 6.5 don't really understand the love for this one. It's kind of OK but a bit bland.
Knockabout World - 10 - utterly flipping brilliant. One of the best things he's ever done.
Darling, I Hug A Pillow - 7.5, intriguing song and so relieved he returned to this lyrical style after the cringe-fest horrors (open your legs, head in your lap) of High School
Once I Saw The River Clean - 9, yes, a cracking song as I think we all agree
The Truth About Ruth - 6, OK music, duff lyrics
The Secret Of Music - 5, interesting lyrics and arrangement but the composition is just a bit too weak. Needs an extra musical section (not necessarily a chorus) with different chords or melody to bring it to life.
My Hurling Days Are Done - 8.5, a gorgeous piece of jangle pop. Could have been on The Sundays first album. Lovely chiming guitar lines. It's just a bit let down by a few clumsy lyrics and has a verse or two too many. But massive credit to Jesse T for coming up with the tune (his finest composition to date).

Last edited:
My ratings:
Jim Jim Falls 7
Knockabout World 6.5
The Truth About Ruth 6
The Secret of Music 6.5
(my average - 6.5/10)

4. Jim Jim Falls - 7.3

1. Mick Daly - 8.1/10
2. 9 x Fined - 7.7/10
3. AtImber2022 - 7.4/10
4. ERT - 7.2/10
8. Mozzer1980 - 6.0/10
Love your work ❤️

Might be in my Top 3. I have a lot of affection for this album. Does it contain a perfect pop-single moment like Everyday is like Sunday or Irish Blood, English Heart? No.

Does in it include a magnificent torch ballad like Trouble Loves Me or Comeback To Camden? No.

But as a cohesive body of work, to my ears, it's almost faultless. It is the totality of the album which stands it in such strong steed. It deserves much more recognition than it got.
Yes it does contain two perfect pop singles. These would be Jim Jim Falls and Once I Saw The River Clean.

I'd put My Hurling Days Are Done up against Come Back to Camden any day of the week.

I play this album constantly and whether people disagree with my opinions or not I think we can all agree it's his best work since the pre quarry era. I'm only joking. I know no one here is going to agree with that as Quarry seems to be very popular here. It doesn't do much for me though.

Back
Top Bottom